Mauritio

"In a pharmacological approach, reduced
expenditure of glycogen, ATP, and creatine
phosphate (Dardymov, 1971), combined with
increased protein synthesis (Rozin, 1971) and
increased resistance of cells and organisms to
stress, can be achieved with ginseng,
eleutherococcus, and 2-benzyl-benzimidazole
(Rusin, 1971), used singly or in combination.
Piracetam, an analog of GABA, improves
learning, increases resistance to toxins or oxygen
deprivation, and increases bilateral symmetry of
function in the cerebral hemispheres (Giurgea,
1973)."

That's one hell of a quote. What I find most interesting is the increased connectivity of brain hemispheres( is that what he means ?), which enables a new kind of thinking and problem solving . Einstein reportedly had a thick corpus callosum, which connects the two hemispheres.

@cjm

cjm

"In a pharmacological approach, reduced
expenditure of glycogen, ATP, and creatine
phosphate (Dardymov, 1971), combined with
increased protein synthesis (Rozin, 1971) and
increased resistance of cells and organisms to
stress, can be achieved with ginseng,
eleutherococcus, and 2-benzyl-benzimidazole
(Rusin, 1971), used singly or in combination.
Piracetam, an analog of GABA, improves
learning, increases resistance to toxins or oxygen
deprivation, and increases bilateral symmetry of
function in the cerebral hemispheres (Giurgea,
1973)."

That's one hell of a quote. What I find most interesting is the increased connectivity of brain hemispheres( is that what he means ?), which enables a new kind of thinking and problem solving . Einstein reportedly had a thick corpus callosum, which connects the two hemispheres.

@cjm

Indeed! He mentions things in that article he mentions nowhere else, and it was written almost 50 years ago.

My take on bilateral symmetry was that each side was pulling its own weight, maybe literally coaxing the other side into action/reaction. But it seems it would ultimately result in a better callosum, function creating form.

Mauritio

Indeed! He mentions things in that article he mentions nowhere else, and it was written almost 50 years ago.

My take on bilateral symmetry was that each side was pulling its own weight, maybe literally coaxing the other side into action/reaction. But it seems it would ultimately result in a better callosum, function creating form.
Dont the racetams increase BNDF ? Noopept for sure does. They might very well create permanent beneficial brain changes ...

CreakyJoints

Some of them might be more relevant to his work than others. I've wanted to ask him about racetams for a long time now, but I didn't think he'd necessarily be very interested in responding. Knowing he's written about them before has emboldened me - I'll post whatever response I get.

Dont the racetams increase BNDF ? Noopept for sure does. They might very well create permanent beneficial brain changes ...

I've tried lots of them in the past. Coluracetam felt to me like it had at least a very long-lasting effect. It's hard to know, because it's been years since I tried it.

EDIT: deleted some repetition.

Last edited:

Mauritio

Some of them might be more relevant to his work than others. I've wanted to ask him about racetams for a long time now, but I didn't think he'd necessarily be very interested in responding. Knowing he's written about them before has emboldened me - I'll post whatever response I get.

I've tried lots of them in the past. Coluracetam felt to me like it had at least a very long-lasting effect. It's hard to know, because it's been years since I tried it.

Yes please do . I find it pretty hard to anticipate what he'll answer to and what not, so give it a shot.

Mauritio

Have you asked him yet?
Did you try phenylpiracetam?

CreakyJoints

Have you asked him yet?
Did you try phenylpiracetam?

I did! I think now that perhaps he was just using it as an example. I've never tried Phenylpiracetam, though.

I wish I had more insight so I could ask better questions - I apologise if these weren't necessarily the right things to ask.

---

Q: In A Biophysical Approach to Altered Consciousness, you write positively about Piracetam. Do you have any thoughts on other drugs in this family which have been researched since you wrote this paper? (specifically mentioned an interest in Coluracetam, Phenylpiracetam, Nefiracetam, Fasoracetam)

A: I haven’t been paying much attention to those derivatives; too much cholinergic or glutamatergic stimulation is harmful.

Q: Do you therefore believe habitual or occasional usage of Piracetam could be detrimental, since it can deplete choline and glutamate over time? Can this be mitigated by supplementation or is the stimulation itself problematic?

A: I would be more concerned about its chronic effects on the liver.

Beastmode

I was interested in the racetam family of "nootropics" and asked Peat about it.

ME:
Does piracetam have similar effects to acetazolamide in regards to delivering oxygen to the cells better via retention to CO2?

I heard a neuroscientist talk about the early days of piracetam being used for people who were close to drowning and experiencing hypoxia.

I use acetazolamide on occasion, but wonder if piracetam is something you've explored personally with any feedback?

RAY:
I read most of the early articles on piracetam, but I haven’t kept up. I haven’t seen anything that seems very interesting.

Mauritio

I did! I think now that perhaps he was just using it as an example. I've never tried Phenylpiracetam, though.

I wish I had more insight so I could ask better questions - I apologise if these weren't necessarily the right things to ask.

---

Q: In A Biophysical Approach to Altered Consciousness, you write positively about Piracetam. Do you have any thoughts on other drugs in this family which have been researched since you wrote this paper? (specifically mentioned an interest in Coluracetam, Phenylpiracetam, Nefiracetam, Fasoracetam)

A: I haven’t been paying much attention to those derivatives; too much cholinergic or glutamatergic stimulation is harmful.

Q: Do you therefore believe habitual or occasional usage of Piracetam could be detrimental, since it can deplete choline and glutamate over time? Can this be mitigated by supplementation or is the stimulation itself problematic?

A: I would be more concerned about

Thanks for asking .
Interesting that he mentions the liver is their Any connection between liver and racetams ?

CreakyJoints

Thanks for asking .
Interesting that he mentions the liver is their Any connection between liver and racetams ?

I believe there is with Leviteracetam, but I'm not confident I fully understand it; nor do I think I could ask a suitable follow-up question to get clarification. If anyone has a suggestion, I would be pleased to hear it.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals