A 3rd Opinion - What does this blood test mean?

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“There are many people currently recommending fish oil (or other highly unsaturated oils) for preventing or treating cancer, and it has become almost as common to recommend a sugar free diet, "because sugar feeds cancer." This is often, incorrectly, said to be the meaning of Warburg's demonstration that cancer cells have a respiratory defect that causes them to produce lactic acid from glucose even in the presence of oxygen. Cancer cells use glucose and the amino acid glutamine primarily for synthetic purposes, and use fats as their energy source;the growth stimulating effect of the "essential fatty acids" (Sueyoshi and Nagao, 1962a; Holley, et al., 1974) shows that depriving a tumor of those fats retards its growth. The great energetic inefficiency of the cancer metabolism, which causes it to produce a large amount of heat and to cause systemic stress, failure of immunity, and weight loss, is because it synthesizes fat from glucose and amino acids, and then oxidizes the fat as if it were diabetic.“ -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“The alkaline cancer cell surrounds itself by the acid that it emits, and this extracellular acidity increases the ability of fatty acids to enter the cell (Spector, 1969); cancer cells, although they are synthesizing fat, also avidly take it up from their environment (Sueyoshi and Nagao, 1962b). This fat avidity is so extreme that cancer cells in vitro will eat enough polyunsaturated fat to kill themselves. This has been offered as proof that fish oil kills cancer. Saturated fats, however, have a calming effect on cancer cells, inhibiting their aerobic glycolysis (Marchut, et al., 1986) while permitting them to resume the respiratory production of energy.“ -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Besides the frequently discussed interactions of excessively accumulated iron with the unsaturated fatty acids, producing lipid peroxides and other toxins, the accumulated calcium very probably forms some insoluble soaps with the free fatty acids which are released even from intracellular fats during stress. The growth of new mitochondria probably occasionally leaves behind such useless materials, combining soaps, iron, and porphyrins remaining from damaged respiratory enzymes.

When the background of carbon dioxide is high, circulation and oxygenation tend to prevent the anaerobic glycolysis that produces toxic lactic acid, so that a given level of activity will be harmful or helpful, depending on the level of carbon dioxide being produced at rest.

Preventively, avoiding foods containing lactic acid, such as yogurt and sauerkraut, would be helpful, since bacterial lactic acid is much more toxic than the type that we form under stress. Avoiding the stress-promoting antithyroid unsaturated oils is extremely important. Their role in diabetes, cancer, and other age-related and degenerative diseases (and I think this includes the estrogen-promoted autoimmune diseases) is well established. Avoiding phytoestrogens and other things that increase estrogen exposure, such as protein deficiency, is important, because estrogen causes increased levels of free fatty acids, increases the tendency to metabolize them at the expense of glucose metabolism, increases the tissue content of unsaturated fatty acids, and inhibits thyroid functions.“ Ray Peat

frannybananny

“Besides the frequently discussed interactions of excessively accumulated iron with the unsaturated fatty acids, producing lipid peroxides and other toxins, the accumulated calcium very probably forms some insoluble soaps with the free fatty acids which are released even from intracellular fats during stress. The growth of new mitochondria probably occasionally leaves behind such useless materials, combining soaps, iron, and porphyrins remaining from damaged respiratory enzymes.

When the background of carbon dioxide is high, circulation and oxygenation tend to prevent the anaerobic glycolysis that produces toxic lactic acid, so that a given level of activity will be harmful or helpful, depending on the level of carbon dioxide being produced at rest.

Preventively, avoiding foods containing lactic acid, such as yogurt and sauerkraut, would be helpful, since bacterial lactic acid is much more toxic than the type that we form under stress. Avoiding the stress-promoting antithyroid unsaturated oils is extremely important. Their role in diabetes, cancer, and other age-related and degenerative diseases (and I think this includes the estrogen-promoted autoimmune diseases) is well established. Avoiding phytoestrogens and other things that increase estrogen exposure, such as protein deficiency, is important, because estrogen causes increased levels of free fatty acids, increases the tendency to metabolize them at the expense of glucose metabolism, increases the tissue content of unsaturated fatty acids, and inhibits thyroid functions.“ Ray Peat
So no yogurt? Hmmmmmm... does that also mean no probiotics even if you have had an antibiotic?

OP
Rinse & rePeat
So no yogurt? Hmmmmmm... does that also mean no probiotics even if you have had an antibiotic?

I have had good luck with acidophilus with bifidus for my son’s yeast infection when he was little, so I wouldn’t disregard them all together, but to just take them regularly, like I use to do, or take the wrong strain can cause even more issues. I think you have to really know what you are doing with them, in my opinion.

frannybananny

I have had good luck with acidophilus with bifidus for my son’s yeast infection when he was little, so I wouldn’t disregard them all together, but to just take them regularly, like I use to do, or take the wrong strain can cause even more issues. I think you have to really know what you are doing with them, in my opinion.
Ah, okay. I just bought a new one with a couple of strains of lactobacillus that I hadn't heard of before....supposed to be very good at restoring the good gut bacteria that might have been wiped out by the cipro. I will give it a try for a few weeks then maybe back off.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Ah, okay. I just bought a new one with a couple of strains of lactobacillus that I hadn't heard of before....supposed to be very good at restoring the good gut bacteria that might have been wiped out by the cipro. I will give it a try for a few weeks then maybe back off.
I hope they work for you.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“If a cardiologist and an oncologist have anything to talk about, it's likely to be about why cancer treatments cause heart failure; a cardiologist and an endocrinologist might share an interest in "cardioprotective estrogen" and "cardiotoxic obesity." Cell physiology and bioenergetics aren't likely to be their common interest. Each specialty has its close involvement with the pharmaceutical industry, shaping its thinking.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“In 1969, Harry Rubin described an autopsy study which found that everyone over the age of 50 had at least one diagnosable cancer in some tissue. "Occult microscopic cancers are exceedingly common in the general population and are held in a dormant state by a balance between cell proliferation and cell death and also an intact host immune surveillance"(Goldstein and Mascitelli, 2011). These authors observed that the stress of surgery stimulates tumor growth, by various mechanisms, and that surgery increases the risk of developing cancer in apparently cancer-free patients.“ -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Because of the continual indoctrination about the importance of "early diagnosis to increase the chance of a cure," and the widely publicized "cure rates," it's easy for doctors to rush people into treatment, before they have time to study the issue. Dean Burk, who was a collaborator of Otto Warburg's for many years, was quoted in regard to the claims of the American Cancer Society that "They lie like scoundrels." -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“When abnormal "metastatic" cells circulate in the blood or lymph, most of them die spontaneously when they stick in a place that doesn't support their growth. Many of the nests of cells that have started to grow probably regress spontaneously when conditions in the body change. Even large, clearly diagnosed tumors occasionally regress spontaneously. Aging and sickness tend to support the vicious cycles that lead to the progressive deterioration of the collagenous matrix. Stress (even anxiety-induced hyperventilation) produces alkalosis, and alkalosis favors increased collagen synthesis, while lower pH inhibits it (Frick, et al., 1997). For example, within a minute or two of hyperventilating, platelets release serotonin, and serotonin is a major promoter of collagen synthesis and fibrosis. “ -Ray Oeat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“The vicious cycles that promote cancer can be interrupted to some extent simply by reducing exposure to things that promote stress and inflammation--endotoxin, polyunsaturated fats, amino acid imbalance, nutritional deficiencies, ionizing radiation, estrogens--and maintaining optimal levels of things that protect against those--carbon dioxide, vitamin E, progesterone, light, aspirin, sugars, and thyroid hormone, for example.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Around the same time, in the early 1950s, several people recognized that the symptoms produced by administering an excess of serotonin were similar to those experienced by people with intestinal tumors called argentaffinomas or carcinoid tumors, which are usually in the small intestine or appendix. The normal intestine contains about 95% of the serotonin in the body (and the brain normally contains only about 1%), and in the normal person only about 1% of the dietary tryptophan is converted to serotonin. But in an advanced case of carcinoid, 60% of the tryptophan can be turned into serotonin. Especially if the tumor has invaded the liver, the serotonin won't be destroyed by the liver in the usual way, and will circulate in the bloodstream at high levels, producing symptoms of flushing, sweating (sometimes dark-colored), diarrhea (serotonin stimulates small intestine smooth muscle, but inhibits the large [Bennett & Whitney, 1966]), nausea, anxiety, reduced urination, muscle and joint pains, and, in late stages, very often cardiovascular disease (especially inflammation, fibroma and calcification of the valves in the right side of the heart) and aggressive behavior (Russo, et al., 2004) and psychosis.“ -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Study suggest this anti-cancer property of honey is due to its anti-proliferative (inhibits cell division) and apoptotic (causes cell death) effect and anti-oxidant effect. The anti-TNFα effect that is suppression of TNF-α cytokine (immune system messenger molecule) secretion and enhancement of other anti-inflammatory cytokine expression also plays a vital role.

Another study has illustrated this inverse relationship of manuka honey with cancer. It illustrates that due to anti-microbial, anti-inflammatory and immune boosting property of manuka honey, it acts as a natural cancer vaccine.“

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“By the mid-1980s, some studies had shown that estrogen treatment didn't prolong the survival of prostate cancer patients at all, but it was argued that the patients who received estrogen were happier than those who didn't.

Apparently, many physicians who were experts in conventional cancer treatment hadn't been impressed by the happiness of their patients who were receiving estrogen, because a survey at a conference of physicians found that many of them would choose to have no treatment if they learned they had prostate cancer. And more recently, there have been recommendations that older patients shouldn't be treated aggressively, because their cancers are usually so slow growing that they are likely to die of something else related to old age.

In spite of the articles I showed my friend, and my warning that estrogen can cause strokes and heart attacks, he decided to take the estrogen treatment. Within a few days he began suffering from asthma and disturbed sleep. Then he had a series of strokes and died.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Prostate cancer patients who had higher levels of LH and lower testosterone died most quickly. (Harper, et al., 1984.) Also, a high ratio of testosterone to estradiol or of testosterone to prolactin corresponded to better survival (Rannikko, et al., 1981.) Considered separately, patients with higher testosterone levels had a better prognosis than those with lower levels, and patients with lower growth hormone levels did better than those with higher growth hormone levels. (Wilson, et al., 1985.) Has anyone ever tried testosterone therapy for prostate cancer? Or, more practically, a generalized antiestrogenic therapy, using thyroid, progesterone, and pregnenolone? Other drugs (naloxone, bromocriptine, gonadotropin-releasing hormone agonists, and anti-growth hormone druges, e.g.) are available to regulate the pituitary hormones, and might be useful therapeutically or preventively. (See Blaakaer, et al., 1995.) Biskind and Biskind's work (1944) with ovarian tumors might be relevant to both testicular and prostate cancer.”
-Ray Peat

Last edited:
OP
Rinse & rePeat
Prostate cancer patients who had higher levels of LH and lower testosterone died most quickly. (Harper, et al., 1984.) Also, a high ratio of testosterone to estradiol or of testosterone to prolactin corresponded to better survival (Rannikko, et al., 1981.) Considered separately, patients with higher testosterone levels had a better prognosis than those with lower levels, and patients with lower growth hormone levels did better than those with higher growth hormone levels. (Wilson, et al., 1985.) Has anyone ever tried testosterone therapy for prostate cancer? Or, more practically, a generalized antiestrogenic therapy, using thyroid, progesterone, and pregnenolone? Other drugs (naloxone, bromocriptine, gonadotropin-releasing hormone agonists, and anti-growth hormone druges, e.g.) are available to regulate the pituitary hormones, and might be useful therapeutically or preventively. (See Blaakaer, et al., 1995.) Biskind and Biskind's work (1944) with ovarian tumors might be relevant to both testicular and prostate cancer.“ -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“According to 2011 research published in the International Journal of Cancer, “the role of short chain fatty acids, particularly butyrate, in colon cancer therapy has been extensively studied, and its tumor suppressive functions are believed to be due to their intracellular actions.” This laboratory study further shows that butyrate treatment led to an increase in the programmed cell death of colon cancer cells.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“About 99% of the publications discussing the mechanism of muscle contraction fail to mention the presence of water, and there's a similar neglect of water in discussions of the energy producing processes in the mitochondrion. The failure of mitochondrial energy production leads to lipid peroxidation, activation of inflammatory processes, and can cause disintegration of the energy producing structure. Increased phosphate decreases mitochondrial energy production (Duan and Karmazyn, 1989), causes lipid peroxidation (Kowaltowski, et al., 1996), and activates inflammation, increasing the processes of tissue atrophy, fibrosis, and cancer.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Another important effect of carbon dioxide is in the regulation of both calcium and phosphate, by increasing the absorption and retention of calcium (Canzanello, et al., 1995), and by increasing the excretion of phosphate. Increased carbon dioxide (as dissolved gas) and bicarbonate (as sodium bicarbonate) both increase the excretion of phosphate in the urine, even in the absence of the parathyroid hormone. Below the normal level of serum bicarbonate, reabsorption of phosphate by the kidneys is greatly increased (Jehle, et al., 1999). Acetazolamide increases the body's retention of carbon dioxide, and increases the amount of phosphate excreted in the urine.
Much of the calcium dissolved in the blood is in the form of a complex of calcium and bicarbonate, with a single positive charge (Hughes, et al., 1984). Failure to consider this complexed form of calcium leads to errors in measuring the amount of calcium in the blood, and in interpreting its physiological effects, including its intracellular behavior.” -Ray Peat