900mg Asprin a day reduces my oedema.

Mazzle

Have been taking 900mg dissolved asprin a day in three or four divided doses. It has made a significant improvement to my lower leg oedema. How long can I carry on taking it for at these doses? What’s the worse that can happen?

Deborah888

Have been taking 900mg dissolved asprin a day in three or four divided doses. It has made a significant improvement to my lower leg oedema. How long can I carry on taking it for at these doses? What’s the worse that can happen?
I'm sorry I can't answer your question, but I'm curious to know if your edema is pitting or non-pitting. I've had "idiopathic" pitting edema in my lower legs for years so if aspirin works, I'd love to know. My bloodwork has never shown any issues to cause this edema but I hate it. I am nervous to take so much aspirin though I'd be tempted to take a lot too, if it helped me.

L_C

Personally, I high dosed aspirin only for a few days during which I was able to get the uncoupling effect. Then went to 300mg dose. Now, I use it only during the first half of my cycle.

Make sure to take K2 and gelatin while on aspirin. Unsure about long term effects of high dose aspirin.

catharsis

I've been taking large doses of aspirin off and on (1.5g or more in the morning with coffee) for the past few years. I definitely agree with @L_C that supplementing K2 and eating gelatin can help with the increased bleeding side-effect (anti-platelet) and GI irritation. In general, you can go very high dose with aspirin with very few side-effects other than low blood sugar and low ATP from the uncoupling.

B-vitamins and epsom salt baths can help with the edema, massages and sun too.

xeliex

Forum Supporter
I've been taking large doses of aspirin off and on (1.5g or more in the morning with coffee) for the past few years. I definitely agree with @L_C that supplementing K2 and eating gelatin can help with the increased bleeding side-effect (anti-platelet) and GI irritation. In general, you can go very high dose with aspirin with very few side-effects other than low blood sugar and low ATP from the uncoupling.

B-vitamins and epsom salt baths can help with the edema, massages and sun too.
Very helpful, thank you.

I think Ray had said 1mg K for every 325mg aspirin.

OP
M

Mazzle

Personally, I high dosed aspirin only for a few days during which I was able to get the uncoupling effect. Then went to 300mg dose. Now, I use it only during the first half of my cycle.

Make sure to take K2 and gelatin while on aspirin. Unsure about long term effects of high dose aspirin.

Thank you for the info. Do you have any idiots guide to 'uncoupling'? No idea what that is. I take gelatin but will look at the K2

Nokoni

High dose thiamine (B1) may be worth a try in combating edema. It acts as a carbonic anhydrase inhibitor (like the prescription drug acetazolamide), which then raises the level of CO2 in the tissues, and the CO2 then drags excess water out of the tissues and into the blood to be eliminated by the kidneys. So in higher doses the thiamine has a diuretic effect, but without modifying kidney function like prescription diuretics do. Also I believe I once read that body levels of carbonic anhydrase rise as we age, so it may be the case that taking a mild carbonic anhydrase inhibitor may lower it to more youthful levels. I use allithiamine, which is a form of thiamine that is more readily absorbed into the body, but Georgi says that regular thiamine hydrochloride, the more common and cheaper form, is just as good.

OP
M

Mazzle

High dose thiamine (B1) may be worth a try in combating edema. It acts as a carbonic anhydrase inhibitor (like the prescription drug acetazolamide), which then raises the level of CO2 in the tissues, and the CO2 then drags excess water out of the tissues and into the blood to be eliminated by the kidneys. So in higher doses the thiamine has a diuretic effect, but without modifying kidney function like prescription diuretics do. Also I believe I once read that body levels of carbonic anhydrase rise as we age, so it may be the case that taking a mild carbonic anhydrase inhibitor may lower it to more youthful levels. I use allithiamine, which is a form of thiamine that is more readily absorbed into the body, but Georgi says that regular thiamine hydrochloride, the more common and cheaper form, is just as good.
Thank you. I started B1 about two months ago and it’s been a game changer for me in terms of mobility and energy. I felt like I was at deaths door before I started it. It didn’t have much impact on Edema though. Maybe I should up my dose.

Nokoni

Thank you. I started B1 about two months ago and it’s been a game changer for me in terms of mobility and energy. I felt like I was at deaths door before I started it. It didn’t have much impact on Edema though. Maybe I should up my dose.
You may want to consider trying a higher dose. Also, is allithiamine available in the UK? It is about twice as expensive as regular thiamine but it absorbs into the body at a higher percentage, so it may actually be cheaper on an "absorbed thiamine" basis. My impression is that with stuff like regular thiamine that is poorly absorbed from the gut, adding more doesn't always help. If the mechanism that absorbs it into the body is saturated it wouldn't matter how much you take, the amount absorbed won't go up much, and if it's not absorbed it's also not helping.

The carbonic anhydrase effect you get with higher doses raises CO2 levels in the body. That will improve oxygenation of the tissues (including the heart) due to the Bohr effect. It also dilates the arteries throughout the body, improving blood flow to all tissues. And it also draws excess water from the tissues (the diuretic effect), which improves the function of all such tissues, and if you have edema in one place that is visible you may also have excess water impeding function in other important tissues that you can't see.

The allithiamine comes in 50 mg capsules. I take 9 of them per day (3 dosings of 3 each dose). If you wanted to give it a try I'd recommend starting with a couple of them, then adding a couple more every two or three days, and see if you don't start to see an effect. Good luck.

catharsis

Do you balance this with other B-vitamins? Are you concerned about high dosing one isolated B Vitamin?
B1 can deplete magnesium stores as it needs that mineral to be converted into the active form (TPP). Also, since it increases ATP so much, you will need more Magnesium to complex with it. I am not sure about other B-vitamins but you will hit bottlenecks in your glucose oxidation pathway in a few cofactors: B2 (FAD), B3 (NAD), Biotin, and maybe CoQ10. I think there are others too, some more copper in your diet can support cytochrome c oxidase.

supercoolguy

Keep trying to get the Big Picture. Observing that one symptom is a place to start.
Mineral balances play a part in Water Retention: Potassium, Sodium, Mag, Cal.
You could back off some of the Aspirin and try some (Food Grade) Baking Soda. Ive also heard Urea is anti-edema.
Finding the least effective dose is on you, but there's plenty of Interviews/Clip to do research first.

When I was in California (thats my pic) for 3yrs. Eating Fruit, Drinking OJ (sometimes salted).
Taking Vit D. Eating LF Cottage Cheese, Milk, Coffee w/Sugar. 1/2 tab Aspirin @ night, Vit K 4/7. and Getting out in the Sun daily.
My Ankles Lost any trace of water retention. I wasnt even trying, but I Def noticed.

Oh and of course eating carrot salad about 3x week.

Last edited:

Nokoni

Do you balance this with other B-vitamins?
I do, and I advocate a solid nutritional background as the necessary starting point for any health intervention, to include both vitamins and minerals. In my case I use supplements to achieve that – 500 mg niacinamide, 50 mg riboflavin, etc. – though food may be preferable. But I am curious about this notion of potential imbalance in the B vitamins. I've run across it a number of times but have never found anything that explains the problem. Would you have any source that could help me understand? Thanks.

oxphoser

I’ve been taking 1 gram of aspirin a day for 4 years and it has eliminated my oedema and phlebitis. I take it in 3 divided doses, each dose with 1 drop thorne research K2 and 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda. If you do this, get the powdered aspirin: easier on your stomach. Also, take it with food.

Having said that, I’ve noticed gradually worsening constipation and have started reducing my aspirin consumption last week by 100 mg a day. I haven’t noticed any differences yet in the constipation after a week. It took a lot to do this as aspirin has been such a great help.

I did find this study of 825 people where they found that if more than 7 (325 mg) pills a week were taken, it was associated with constipation. I take the equivalent of 21 pills a week.

It should be mentioned that not everyone who takes aspirin will experience constipation.
————-

Neurogastroenterol Motil (2007) 19, 905–911 doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2982.2007.00974.x
Risk factors for chronic constipation and a possible role of analgesics
J. Y. CHANG,* G. RICHARD LOCKE, C. D. SCHLECK,à A. R. ZINSMEISTERà & N. J. TALLEY
*Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, MN, USA
Division of Gastroenterology and Internal Medicine, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN, USA
àDepartment of Health Sciences Research, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN, USA

….total of 892 subjects

“Chronic constipation was significantly associated with acetaminophen, aspirin, and NSAID use, and somatic symptoms”

Lollipop2

I do, and I advocate a solid nutritional background as the necessary starting point for any health intervention, to include both vitamins and minerals. In my case I use supplements to achieve that – 500 mg niacinamide, 50 mg riboflavin, etc. – though food may be preferable. But I am curious about this notion of potential imbalance in the B vitamins. I've run across it a number of times but have never found anything that explains the problem. Would you have any source that could help me understand? Thanks.
Thank you for asking. I honestly do not either. I have read it somewhere on the forum and I think Ray has spoken about taking a high dose in isolation but for the life of me couldn’t point you there. Maybe you could email him and ask?