85-year-old woman losing her balance

Lilac

My mother me asked to ask if anyone has any ideas about what could help. She is sleeping more soundly and feeling warmer using a lot of the Peat food recommendations. She doesn't take many supplements. Only magnesium regularly, and lately she has been back to taking D daily. I have been encouraging her to take K, as she uses aspirin fairly regularly. No red light. Two years ago she had a bout of colitis and took an antibiotic for that, and a few weeks ago she had a urinary tract infection and is on an antibiotic for that now. Do the periodic infections indicate an obvious missing nutrient? The physical imbalance is what is worrying her more, though. Thank you.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Did the physical imbalance start just recently with the UTI or had it been happening before the infection? IIRC Peat has mentioned getting extra vitamin K when taking an antibiotic. If she isn't using K as you have encouraged now might be a great time for her to start. Maybe she would enjoy some kale broth?

OP
Lilac

Lilac

I think she experiences the loss of balance from time to time. It's generally worse in the morning. And, yes, it has been worse lately, with this bout of infection and antibiotics. That's why she wanted to ask about it. I will have her keep up with the vitamin K. Thank you.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I hope she feels better soon. Unfortunately the loss of balance can be due to many things but an infection and/or the medicine to treat it could make the situation worse. I'm not aware of any nutrient deficiency that could be involved but maybe others might have some ideas. Best wishes for your mother's health. In the meantime she might be interested in considering a cane if she doesn't have one until this all gets sorted out.

purelaur

could it be an inner ear infection or vertigo? I had a dog who was prone to inner ear infections and would have "episodes" of losing his balance that terrified him.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Sodium might be worth checking out.

tara

I'm sure there are many possibilities, including teh ideas above, but a couple of other simple ideas:
Is she salting food generously? Low sodium can have this effect. (snap, Blossom :))
If it's happening more first thing in the morning, could she have a drink of OJ by the bed and drink it before she gets up in the morning, so she's not running on empty when she gets moving? Low blood sugar can also have this effect.

LucyL

I heard once (I don't think it was Ray Peat) that sulfites could induce vertigo, due to intestinal inflammation. Perhaps cooked bamboo shoots, coconut oil, other things to address inflammation in the intestines?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals