830nm Red Light - Working Great Against Hair Loss, But Causes Facial Acne?

Motif

Your brain metabolism is up. The brain needs to get rid of iron which it gathers due to high metabolic rate, and the face is the closest place it can dump it. So iron then promotes bacterial growth in the face.

Donate blood and take some aspirin.

This could be a cause for Seborrhoic eczema in the face and dermatitis?

My iron is high , but transferrin she ferritin is good

ddjd

I've been using the Infrared Light Mini on my head and found it to greatly reduce the typical MPB shedding and inflammation.

I use it a few times daily with a couple of hours in between, for 2-3 minutes, at a distance of around 4" and I find that that length is just about right for my scalp to become numb and the inflammation to significantly die down.

However, since I've been doing that I have some nasty outbreaks all over my face. I've had acne under control for a long time but now it's getting out of hand again. How is that possible when I'm not even pointing it at my face but at my head? Should I start supplementing Retinol or something? I really don't want to have to stop using it but I can't look like a shrapnel victim either.

Thanks for any suggestions
have you ever measured EMF radiation from this mini device. could be potentially very destructive considering how close to your head you're constantly holding it?

SOMO

Your brain metabolism is up. The brain needs to get rid of iron which it gathers due to high metabolic rate, and the face is the closest place it can dump it. So iron then promotes bacterial growth in the face.

Donate blood and take some aspirin.

Everyone claims Acne is caused by something else, but you're the first person to claim acne is caused by iron, and I've read many wacky theories on what causes acne.

Regarding your suspicions about iron.
I used to go to the doctor once a month for bloodwork (donating blood) and would also take aspirin (which seemed to increase the amount of small whiteheads.)
I also had a phase where I (stupidly) took iron bisglycinate pills and it did not cause acne.

And acne happens even in the absence of bacteria. If acne required bacteria to grow, all one would need to do is wash their face with antimicrobials. To someone that has struggled with acne for much of his life and has tried every face wash under the sun, sometimes multiple times daily, the concept of "unclean face = acne" is not only debunked, it's OFFENSIVE.

So no.

As far as the OP is concerned, RED LIGHT ALSO GIVES ME ACNE if I leave it on my face or neck...
But if I put it on my leg for example, no acne there (but the leg is not a place most people get acne in in the first place.)

Last edited:

Hugh Johnson

Everyone claims Acne is caused by something else, but you're the first person to claim acne is caused by iron, and I've read many wacky theories on what causes acne.

Regarding your suspicions about iron.
I used to go to the doctor once a month for bloodwork (donating blood) and would also take aspirin (which seemed to increase the amount of small whiteheads.)
I also had a phase where I (stupidly) took iron bisglycinate pills and it did not cause acne.

And acne happens even in the absence of bacteria. If acne required bacteria to grow, all one would need to do is wash their face with antimicrobials. To someone that has struggled with acne for much of his life and has tried every face wash under the sun, sometimes multiple times daily, the concept of "unclean face = acne" is not only debunked, it's OFFENSIVE.

So no.

As far as the OP is concerned, RED LIGHT ALSO GIVES ME ACNE if I leave it on my face or neck...
But if I put it on my leg for example, no acne there (but the leg is not a place most people get acne in in the first place.)
I kind of feel like insulting your intelligence right now. But I'll pass and jut point out that the only way you could keep your face free of bacteria would be to keep it permanently submerged in antibacterial solution, and that only pointing the light to you head or neck would cause increased brain metabolism.

Elephanto

I find it strange that nobody has mentioned an hormonal cause yet. Let's see with metabolism : children have high metabolism, don't have acne, here comes adolescence and they do. They also happen to have an important surge in hormonal production at this time. I don't think that androgens per se absolutely cause acne but coupled with other factors (high gut bacterias count, prolactin, histamine, stress causing hormonal imbalances) they definitely favor it by at least increasing sebum production. So I would more likely attribute this to an androgenic effect of red light. Acne as a sign of high metabolism seems very contradicting to casual observations, I've seen many hypothyroid overweight women with acne and generally energetic healthy-looking people don't have any. It seems to associate much more closely to people with visibly poor hormonal balance than any other factor.

About the Iron theory, I also had significantly high Iron levels a few years ago and I never had any acne. I also looked up pictures of hemochromatosis meetings to find out if they were more likely to be bald and they sure were but none had particularly oily skin or acne (a lifeless pale tone is more common). Back then I was also much more on the dry side, recovering from post-propecia and from low androgens alone it seemed to protect from acne (I remember spending more than a week not washing and I wasn't smelling anything or had any skin issues; nowadays with higher androgens I smell much more and produce more sweat).

Last edited:

Sugar Ray 2

I am experiencing this exact same problem. I have been using red light on my head for the last few months and have suddenly experienced a surge or spots all over my jaw and chin. I usually dose for a few minutes which has resulted in cystic like acne. At first, I wasn't sure if it was red light that was responsible. I thought it was milk, so I cut that out. Yesterday I dosed on my head for 5 mins, and then went to bed a few hours later. I couldn't sleep at all, as my face was burning with itchiness and new spots. Today I've got even more spots than normal over my chin and jawline. How can I combat this?

BigChad

I think Ray Peat said that he once fell asleep with a red light on, and when he woke up he had a couple spots of acne, and that's how he knew it was increasing his metabolism. So yes, vitamin A should do the trick. Just of curiosity, is the light only that one wavelength?

so anything that increases metabolism would cause acne?
estrogen/cortisol/prolactin also cause acne right

Hitchens

IS the redlight man redlight mini too strong or is this acceptable for follicle growth as well?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals