8 uncommon herbs that lower prolactin and restore dopaminergic neurotransmission

Hans

Forum Supporter
Boosting dopamine is the first plan of action when it comes to lowering prolactin. But few herbs/supplements/drugs actually restore the dopaminergic system.
In this article, I discuss 8 uncommon such herbs/supplements.

Mauritio

Awesome article! Herbs are so powerful ,especially the ones used for thousands of years in TCM.

dhtsupreme

This could definitely help me. Like what dukedbobby asked have you tried any of them? @Hans

Also doesn't white peony lower testosterone by raising estrogen in women? Would it do the same in men?

Lastly, do you know any sources for buying Jitai Tablets? It's composed of 15 herbs so buying each one individually would be a hassle

Thanks!

dhtsupreme

Black mold will screw your health up but good. I had a hidden patch of it in the closet of my bedroom for months when I lived in wet Seattle. Hadn't had any breathing issues since minor allergies in childhood, still the doctor gave me a scrip for asthma inhalers which I used several times a day. After I finally discovered the mold and tore out the patch of carpet, and sterilized some on the window edges back of the drapes, the "asthma" went away never to return. I was relatively young then, now I hesitate to think what consequences there might be.
Interesting but wrong thread.

This is about uncommon herbs to lower prolactin not mold

ilhanxx

Hi Hans, good article thanks

Do you hear lady's mantle(Alchemilla vulgaris) for high fsh and high prolactin, A lot of good feedback for libido(dopaminergic) in some body building forums.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Thanks for the article Hans, haven't heard about these herbs before.
My pleasure and thanks for reading.
This could definitely help me. Like what dukedbobby asked have you tried any of them? @Hans

Also doesn't white peony lower testosterone by raising estrogen in women? Would it do the same in men?

Lastly, do you know any sources for buying Jitai Tablets? It's composed of 15 herbs so buying each one individually would be a hassle

Thanks!
As far as I know, the only study that looked at that was this in vitro one.
It's in rat proestrous ovary.
"These results suggest that paeoniflorin, glycyrrhetic acid and glycyrrhizin affect the conversion between delta 4-androstenedione and testosterone to inhibit testosterone synthesis and stimulate the aromatase activity to promote estradiol synthesis"

So it inhibits the conversion of androstenedione to T, which causes more androstenedione to be converted to E. Testosterone is sometimes in excess in women in certain conditions, such as PCOS, etc, and lowering it in that regard is not a bad thing. Calming the adrenals is the key though.

I tried looking for Jitai, but couldn't find it. Perhaps they only sell it in China which is a real bummer.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
I thought high prolactin would inhibit dopamine, not dopamine inhibiting prolactin
Prolactin does have inhibitory effects on dopamine synthesis, but dopamine agonists are the first line of treatment for high prolactin. Drugs like cabergoline or bromocriptine. The thing is that there is a relatively large percentage of people for who dopamine agonists don't work and that's why these herbs can be useful.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter

Do you hear lady's mantle(Alchemilla vulgaris) for high fsh and high prolactin, A lot of good feedback for libido(dopaminergic) in some body building forums.
Thanks man.
I haven't heard of lady's mantle for lowering prolactin. After a quick search, I could only find that it's progestogenic, but could find anything in regards to FSH, prolactin or estrogen. Perhaps you can point me to the research?

Coderr

I know it suppresses Alchemilla vulgaris Dht.

Inaut

@Hans I'm surprised tribulus wasn't included in your top 8. It's far easier to get than alot of the herbs you listed and it is also good for manhood.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
@Hans I'm surprised tribulus wasn't included in your top 8. It's far easier to get than alot of the herbs you listed and it is also good for manhood.
It sure is a great herb, but it's not uncommon, which is what the article is about. Also, I haven't seen evidence that TT restores the dopamine system, although it most definitely affects it.

Hi Hans, do you think any of these herbs could help someone who's prolactin levels did not lower from 2.5mg bromocriptine?

Last edited:
OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Hi Hans, do you think any of these herbs could help someone who's prolactin levels did not lower from 2.5mg bromocriptine?
Yes for sure. From the article:

"20% of prolactinomas patients did not respond to bromocriptine, but respond to hordenine (found in Fructus Hordei Germinatus), because it lowers MAPK.

It does so by blocking the MAPK (p38, ERK1/2, and JNK) activation and production of inflammatory cytokines, tumor necrosis factor-α (TNF-α), interleukin-1β (IL-1β), and interleukin-6 (IL-6) (R).

Estrogen is known to stimulate prolactin secretion through the MAPK pathway, which Fructus Hordei Germinatus is know to inhibit."

So chronic inflammation, intracellular estrogen and MAPK overactivation can increase prolactin. In that state, D2 agonists such as bromocriptine, cabergoline, etc, seem not to work very well.

Yes for sure. From the article:

"20% of prolactinomas patients did not respond to bromocriptine, but respond to hordenine (found in Fructus Hordei Germinatus), because it lowers MAPK.

It does so by blocking the MAPK (p38, ERK1/2, and JNK) activation and production of inflammatory cytokines, tumor necrosis factor-α (TNF-α), interleukin-1β (IL-1β), and interleukin-6 (IL-6) (R).

Estrogen is known to stimulate prolactin secretion through the MAPK pathway, which Fructus Hordei Germinatus is know to inhibit."

So chronic inflammation, intracellular estrogen and MAPK overactivation can increase prolactin. In that state, D2 agonists such as bromocriptine, cabergoline, etc, seem not to work very well.
I must have missed that part about bromocriptine. Thank you so much - very interesting!

Do you think hordenine on it's own is worth a try? The herb itself seems difficult to find.

I have already ordered a Peony-Licorice extract as well.

Dr Peat has said recently,which I did not understand before, that thyroid supplementation lowers prolactin.