8 uncommon herbs that lower prolactin and restore dopaminergic neurotransmission

Mauritio

Hans, do you think up-regulating TH, DAT, an D2 is all there is to restoring dopaminergic neurotransmittion? I have PSSD and derealization/depersonalization, which I think are both caused by low dopamine, through a lot of deductive reasoning, and the fact that last year when I smoked tobacco, it was the only thing that helped BOTH. I only smoked for about a month, then stopped, and recently started again. This time, it doesn't improve either. I know certain things can inhibit dopamine release, such as 5-HT2C receptor, nitric oxide, prolactin, so I've tried smoking with cyproheptadine, various anti-neuronal nitric oxide substances, and according to my latest blood test, my prolactin is actually incredibly low (even though I have symptoms of high prolactin...). So nothing should be inhibiting the release of dopamine, yet I'm not feeling those same effects as before. Bromocriptine also didn't make me feel anything, other than tired and nauseous (I also tried selegiline, an MAO-B inhibitor recently and felt nothing). What do you think could be going on here? Something blocking the receptors? I am still going to try PGD and Fructus Hordei Germinatus!

P.S. Do you think it's safe to combine these herbs with bromocriptine? I know your article said a metabolite of licorice in PGD "unblocks" the D2 receptor (question is what blocks it) - maybe combining that with bromocriptine would allow it to activate the D2 receptor properly, if that's not already happening when I take the bromocriptine.

Thank you so much!
Have you tried hordenine by now ?

Mauritio

Yes, just gave me insomnia
Ok gotta try to figure it out. I'll give it a shot , it's a D2 agonist and increases pyruvate dehydrogenase . But it might also increase noradrenaline.
It seems like its regulated now. But reachgenius.se still has it ...

Last edited:
That figures. I got the same effects from deprenyl. Anything that messes with sleep is counter productive.
if you weren't aware, sublingual administration of deprenyl produces significantly less amphetamine metabolites, could try that method and it might not give you insomnia

dukesbobby777

its bio-availability increases about 5x too, dose low so you don't inhibit mao-
its bio-availability increases about 5x too, dose low so you don't inhibit mao-a!

Cheers buddy. What is deprenyl doing with sublingual supplementation as opposed to just taking orally? It must still be increasing dopamine, no? Which might still increase insomnia. I haven’t taken deprenyl for about 12 years (experimented during my Longecity days lol).

Cheers buddy. What is deprenyl doing with sublingual supplementation as opposed to just taking orally? It must still be increasing dopamine, no? Which might still increase insomnia. I haven’t taken deprenyl for about 12 years (experimented during my Longecity days lol).
It's still acting as an MAO-B inhibitor, but when you take it sublingually less of it is going through first-pass metabolism (the liver), where amphetamine metabolites are created. I am unsure of the connection between insomnia and dopamine, but I know you need dopamine for restful sleep.

Charger

Here's a hair loss drug that Peatarians could probably get behind! Bayer is working on a prolactin-receptor antibody drug for male pattern baldness which seems really promising so far:

It states that common agents such as bromocriptine and cabergoline are not effective because:

""The pituitary PRL secretion can be inhibited by use of bromocriptine and other dopamine receptor 2 agonists. These agents, however, do not suppress extrapituitary PRL synthesis that can compensate successfully for the inhibition of pituitary PRL synthesis leading to almost unimpaired PRLR-mediated signalling""

I wonder if any of these herbs are able to get around that issue and would be as useful for hair as the thing they're developing. Would be a long shot, but hey...

@Hans, @haidut

Do you guys have any opinion on the safety of something like a PRLR antagonist? Isn't hypoprolactinemia a genuine concern? If we're to believe that prolactin, along with cortisol, low thyroid, and estrogen etc. are the drivers of hair loss and androgens are not, wouldn't a drug that blocks prolactin entirely be the solution, atleast in some cases? Yet it seems we have to worry about anti-androgenic side effects similar to drugs like Finasteride.

I'm in a discord where we're actually testing a drug very similar to BAY (SMI-6), and while these guys are excited about it, I don't want to be naive about the potential anti-androgenic side effects that could result.

GorillaHead

Here's a hair loss drug that Peatarians could probably get behind! Bayer is working on a prolactin-receptor antibody drug for male pattern baldness which seems really promising so far:

It states that common agents such as bromocriptine and cabergoline are not effective because:

""The pituitary PRL secretion can be inhibited by use of bromocriptine and other dopamine receptor 2 agonists. These agents, however, do not suppress extrapituitary PRL synthesis that can compensate successfully for the inhibition of pituitary PRL synthesis leading to almost unimpaired PRLR-mediated signalling""

I wonder if any of these herbs are able to get around that issue and would be as useful for hair as the thing they're developing. Would be a long shot, but hey...
This right here. Prl extra-pituitary secretions

vanessad

Boosting dopamine is the first plan of action when it comes to lowering prolactin. But few herbs/supplements/drugs actually restore the dopaminergic system.
In this article, I discuss 8 uncommon such herbs/supplements.
Out of all of these which would you start w especially if you’re in Cabergoline? Thx!

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Out of all of these which would you start w especially if you’re in Cabergoline? Thx!
I enjoyed Longdan xiegan tang. You'll just have to check your prolactin levels constantly to see if prolactin is going down at the dose you're using. Other prolactin lowering compounds include zinc, B6, vitamin E, sunlight, metergoline, lisuride, etc.

vanessad

I enjoyed Longdan xiegan tang. You'll just have to check your prolactin levels constantly to see if prolactin is going down at the dose you're using. Other prolactin lowering compounds include zinc, B6, vitamin E, sunlight, metergoline, lisuride, etc.
Thx! I’m getting flushing on the right side of my face very frequently. Do you think it’s from the high prolactin? Anything I can do to stop it? It’s really annoying. Luv all ur info! Thx so so much!!!!!!

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Thx! I’m getting flushing on the right side of my face very frequently. Do you think it’s from the high prolactin? Anything I can do to stop it? It’s really annoying. Luv all ur info! Thx so so much!!!!!!
Could be estrogen, histamine and/or serotonin as well. Have you looked at thyroid, vit D, estrogen, androgens, etc?

vanessad

Could be estrogen, histamine and/or serotonin as well. Have you looked at thyroid, vit D, estrogen, androgens, etc?
First off ty for your insight!!
Yep- I have hypothyroidism, pituitary tumor; prolactin is (98) and thalassemia …. I’ve done vegan, keto, whole 30;etc… I’m 47 weights been creeping up too… used to do orange theory 5-6 days a week. Quit that to let me body recoup. Miss it terribly tho! I just want to be healthy!! Ugh seems too much to ask.. I’ve offered to hire many health gurus on IG & nada - doctors just prescribe and tell me to take iron & fish oils… I’ve had to take the meds. I’m not taking the iron or oils. I just started hormone pellets - hoping it’ll balance & regulate my hormones. - I’d rather live a more natural lifestyle.. . ? ty again. It means the world to me to receive guidance from you! I’ve read a lot of what you’ve stated on this forum. ?

vanessad

Yep- I have hypothyroidism, pituitary tumor; prolactin is (98) and thalassemia …. I’ve done vegan, keto, whole 30;etc… I’m 47 weights been creeping up too… used to do orange theory 5-6 days a week. Quit that to let me body recoup. Miss it terribly tho! I just want to be healthy!! Ugh seems too much to ask.. I’ve offered to hire many health gurus on IG & nada - doctors just prescribe and tell me to take iron & fish oils… I’ve had to take the meds. I’m not taking the iron or oils. I just started hormone pellets - hoping it’ll balance & regulate my hormones. - I’d rather live a more natural lifestyle.. . ? ty again. It means the world to me to receive guidance from you! I’ve read a lot of what you’ve stated on this forum. ?
Oh && yes my vitamin D was very low so I’ve up it! What’s the max one could take?

redsun

Well if you have high prolactin and hypothyroidism you probably actually need to take iron. I assume the doctor had tests showing iron deficiency and then told you to take iron? If so, taking iron will likely improve thyroid function and lower prolactin if it is high. Dopamine is what inhibits prolactin, and dopamine depends on iron to be synthesized. If you are missing iron, this could be a major contributor to your problems.

vanessad

Well if you have high prolactin and hypothyroidism you probably actually need to take iron. I assume the doctor had tests showing iron deficiency and then told you to take iron? If so, taking iron will likely improve thyroid function and lower prolactin if it is high. Dopamine is what inhibits prolactin, and dopamine depends on iron to be synthesized. If you are missing iron, this could be a major contributor to your problems.
Wow! That that is interesting- ty! What type of iron do you suggest? Maybe that’s the missing puzzle piece? Thx.

redsun

Wow! That that is interesting- ty! What type of iron do you suggest? Maybe that’s the missing puzzle piece? Thx.

They do have heme iron supplements. Proferrin specifically Proferrin Clear which has much less additives. Better absorbed and less GI symptoms than typical iron supplements. Iron supplements of any kind do need to be taken in meals without calcium in it. So dairy in the same meal should be avoided.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals