8,000+ Calories Per Day And No Weight Gain

MatheusPN

I read a high metabolic rate is good from Ray’s articles, but why do some people believe it damages longevity?
One of the reasons is: they think cells have a limit in how many times they can divide/ duplicate/ reproduce

OP
I

Iraber

Aparently you were saying the composition of the macros in the milk you buy...
If so how is your composition ratio of macros, carb/ protein/ fat you eat?
I would say its probably 40-50 carb
40-50 fat and 10-15 protein. some days I try to push carbs really hard and its fun to just start sweating and all of that, lol.
One of the reasons is: they think cells have a limit in how many times they can divide/ duplicate/ reproduce
Your cells won’t divide for no reason though... you only make new cells when you need to no matter how much energy you take in.

MatheusPN

Your cells won’t divide for no reason though... you only make new cells when you need to no matter how much energy you take in.
When you have a deranged metabolism your body will start cell proliferation without differentiation; unnecessarily and possibly dangerously

Last edited:
OP
I

Iraber

When you have a deranged metabolism your body will start cell proliferation without differentiation; unnecessarily and possibly dangerously
Possibly. I’m not buying into that though. The human body is smarter than any “scientist” opinion.

mrchibbs

I’m not 100% healthy because I suffered a lot of catabolism from 14-17 from some diets to lose the little bit of fat I had like intermittent fasting, and the worst was when I followed the Snake Diet. when I was 17 and I ended up 40-60 pounds underweight because when you lose weight you don’t realize how skinny you really are. I just turned 18 so I guess I’m restoring/growing right now. I do have some excess fat which I am hoping will come off eventually but its not a bad tradeoff for everything else I get to experience.

Ok that explains much. 18 is still insanely young. You're basically a child still. No wonder you're capable of eating that much. At 18, I was playing basketball and eating 5000kcal+ everyday (wasn't counting) and couldn't gain any weight to save my life. Fast forward 10 years, things are not the same lol.

I'm betting you'll get much better. Keep getting sunshine, eating lots of food and sleeping well, you'll get very healthy. And if you learn anything from Ray and this forum, you won't have to suffer through your 20s like many of us did, ping-ponging between different diets and letting stress ravage our bodies.

Eat good food, drink milk, get some sunshine, and focus on being happy, and you'll stay youthful and healthy all your life. I so wish I knew at 18 what I know now.

OP
I

Iraber

Ok that explains much. 18 is still insanely young. You're basically a child still. No wonder you're capable of eating that much. At 18, I was playing basketball and eating 5000kcal+ everyday (wasn't counting) and couldn't gain any weight to save my life. Fast forward 10 years, things are not the same lol.

I'm betting you'll get much better. Keep getting sunshine, eating lots of food and sleeping well, you'll get very healthy. And if you learn anything from Ray and this forum, you won't have to suffer through your 20s like many of us did, ping-ponging between different diets and letting stress ravage our bodies.

Eat good food, drink milk, get some sunshine, and focus on being happy, and you'll stay youthful and healthy all your life. I so wish I knew at 18 what I know now.

I appreciate the advice. What you describe sounds like the good life. Drinking A2 milk in the southern sun all day with some good music, haha. We can probably live till 200 chilling like that.

mrchibbs

I appreciate the advice. What you describe sounds like the good life. Drinking A2 milk in the southern sun all day with some good music, haha. We can probably live till 200 chilling like that.

It's not complicated, we make it complicated. Avoiding stress, maximizing enjoyment and eating a lot of good food is key. Sunshine and milk are so basic but so fundamentally anti-stress. We might not live till 200 but if humans were to do that for many successive generations, eventually our children would inherit great metabolic function, health and longevity.

OP
I

Iraber

It's not complicated, we make it complicated. Avoiding stress, maximizing enjoyment and eating a lot of good food is key. Sunshine and milk are so basic but so fundamentally anti-stress. We might not live till 200 but if humans were to do that for many successive generations, eventually our children would inherit great metabolic function, health and longevity.
Can you explain what you have heard about metabolic health being passed on between generations?

boris

@Iraber @mrchibbs I would like to know too if you have some further reading.

I think I remeber haidut talk about how stress, toxins, malnutrition can negatively influence our offspring or even show up for the first time several generations down the line. If you get radiation damage from x-rays your kids can be fine, but your grandchildren can be influenced by that damage. I think what mrchibbss means is one of the common threads of Peats work that good health and a good environment will advance a species.

I don't know what the current accepted idea is, but for a time people were told that hardship and difficult times will breed stronger more resilient humans, which is wrong.

Last edited:

redsun

I am eating 8,000+ calories per day and feeling better than ever before. Is this unhealthy long term?

Are you very active? Also care to elaborate a bit on foods you consume? As you can imagine everyone is quite curious. So far you say lots of milk abd maple syrup and raw eggs. Anything else? Thanks.

Last edited:

Jennifer

I’m not 100% healthy because I suffered a lot of catabolism from 14-17 from some diets to lose the little bit of fat I had like intermittent fasting, and the worst was when I followed the Snake Diet. when I was 17 and I ended up 40-60 pounds underweight because when you lose weight you don’t realize how skinny you really are. I just turned 18 so I guess I’m restoring/growing right now. I do have some excess fat which I am hoping will come off eventually but its not a bad tradeoff for everything else I get to experience.
If you're feeling better eating that much then it sounds like you need it. I'm wondering if you became a bit hypothyroid from the fasting and weightloss. Your experience reminds me of when Ray needed 8000 calories daily until he started taking thyroid:

"[on high metabolic rate - very high temps and pulse - which is a result of low thyroid] About your high metabolic rate and high temperature: In my teens and twenties, I needed about 8000 calories per day when I was physically active, about 4000 to 5000 when I was sedentary, but after I took thyroid, I needed only about half as many calories. Thyroid is the basic regulator of blood glucose, and it causes it to be fully oxidized for energy, so that it produces ATP efficiently, on relatively few calories. If blood glucose falls, because it's being used very quickly, the body responds with stress hormones, including glucagon, adrenalin, and cortisol. They cause fat and protein to be burned for energy, while in hypothyroidism, glucose can still be used inefficiently for glycolysis, producing lactic acid, displacing bicarbonate and carbon dioxide. This causes mineral imbalances, with effects including cramps and nerve-muscle tension, which produce heat and waste energy. When you first start taking thyroid again, your tissues will need some extra magnesium, during the time when the dose is increasing, and when the mineral balance is restored your temperature and metabolic rate might decrease a little. Orange juice, milk, and coffee are good for the main minerals, while salting your food to taste." Ray Peat

Ray Peat Email Exchanges - Ray Peat Forum Wiki

MatheusPN

If you're feeling better eating that much then it sounds like you need it. I'm wondering if you became a bit hypothyroid from the fasting and weightloss. Your experience reminds me of when Ray needed 8000 calories daily until he started taking thyroid:

"[on high metabolic rate - very high temps and pulse - which is a result of low thyroid] About your high metabolic rate and high temperature: In my teens and twenties, I needed about 8000 calories per day when I was physically active, about 4000 to 5000 when I was sedentary, but after I took thyroid, I needed only about half as many calories. Thyroid is the basic regulator of blood glucose, and it causes it to be fully oxidized for energy, so that it produces ATP efficiently, on relatively few calories. If blood glucose falls, because it's being used very quickly, the body responds with stress hormones, including glucagon, adrenalin, and cortisol. They cause fat and protein to be burned for energy, while in hypothyroidism, glucose can still be used inefficiently for glycolysis, producing lactic acid, displacing bicarbonate and carbon dioxide. This causes mineral imbalances, with effects including cramps and nerve-muscle tension, which produce heat and waste energy. When you first start taking thyroid again, your tissues will need some extra magnesium, during the time when the dose is increasing, and when the mineral balance is restored your temperature and metabolic rate might decrease a little. Orange juice, milk, and coffee are good for the main minerals, while salting your food to taste." Ray Peat

Ray Peat Email Exchanges - Ray Peat Forum Wiki
Then something interesting: can someone with 37,3º to 37,5 C and 85 bpm, with great ankle test results, no/ barely gas, great bowel movements and every time he eats lots of foods, consume more than 7000 kcal is almost irrelevant if he is sedentary or active in his weight change; is possible he don't possess optimal thyroid function?

I for one switched from >7500 kcal to maintain weight, to 2500-3500 kcal gaining weight and all this happened within weeks, adding dairy; remained with the same temperature and pulse. This is a question I have for a long time...
I presume dairy is fattening, at least was the only variation. MCT, coconut, meat, fractioned palm oil, didnt changed my weight... And yes, when I was vegan I was eating a full mountainous plate of soffritto chard for vitamin k and calcium

Last edited:

Redshine

Wow thats so good that you start geining weight . I have the same problem, drinking milk (with collagen/gelatin) with every meal and after (as an example) yard work. And yes yes not the best option but chips helped me a lot. I finally starting to get a little weight on. My pants are fitting better, a bit curvier but not really "fat"

Because i'm eating better it also helps with my mental state, not that I was depressed or down but I can honestly say I feel really good. Yesterday I was thinking that last week flent by, my energy levels are getting up. :thumbup:.

MatheusPN

Wow thats so good that you start geining weight . I have the same problem, drinking milk (with collagen/gelatin) with every meal and after (as an example) yard work. And yes yes not the best option but chips helped me a lot. I finally starting to get a little weight on. My pants are fitting better, a bit curvier but not really "fat"

Because i'm eating better it also helps with my mental state, not that I was depressed or down but I can honestly say I feel really good. Yesterday I was thinking that last week flent by, my energy levels are getting up. :thumbup:.
Truly happy you are feeling great! :):
I will gladly tell you what will assist me in the finality for further healthy and muscle weight.
So you're more curvier, but not in a "fat" way... I hear people call that a sexier body

For me, more weight was precisely it, so yeah not a notable pursuit hahaha

Last edited:
Really hard to believe. My only conclusion is that someone who makes claims like this is:

1) GROSSLY overestimating their calorie intake (i.e. failing in reading nutritional labels or overcalculating what they are eating in some spectacular way)
2) Works 10 hours a day on a construction site where he burns 4000-5000 calories a day and conveniently fails to mention that
3) Hasn't done this long enough to see how much weight he's really going to gain in the long run

I'm 5'10", 180 lbs, mostly sedentary (IT job working from home due to Corona lockdown). My activities are weight lifting every other day, and a 7.5 km daily walk that burns approx. 400 calories. Given that, my TDEE is somewhere between 2500-2700 calories (the total amount of energy I spend during the day).

In the past 2 years I have been eating on average around 2600-2700 calories and that made me slowly gain weight to the point where I reached 190 lbs starting May. The past 7 weeks I lost nearly 10 lbs by eating on average ~2100 kcal per day and doing the activities mentioned above - a really safe fat loss rate of a little over a pound per week.

Granted, my latest TSH came in at 3.9 so if I was in optimal thyroid function and had a sub-1.0 TSH my daily TDEE would probably be maybe 100 calories higher, so I could afford to eat 2200-2300 kcal and lose weight at the same rate.

But figures in the range of 7000-8000 kcal daily without gaining weight would only be possible if you are a 6'10" 18 year old with gigantism who runs for at least 5 hours a day. Surely I can't be the only one who realizes this.

laleto12

8000 is super amount of food if you dont eat ***t tons of fat. Idk how some people can stomach that amount of food while here I am struggling to get to 3000 as a 20 year old lol

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals