78 YOF Asia Indian With Hyperthyroidism

Dobster

Good day all.

Need some guidance from this group. My mother just informed me today that this past week she has been put on meds to lower her Thyroid, apparently the Dr prescribed the meds but didn't say anything to her in person. Not weird for this part of the world.

So trying to give you all something to work with :

She's of Indian decent.
Diabetic
Vit D deficient
complains of aches and pains.
Her hair has fallen out a lot (Warning sign)
Doesn't eat much.
No much motivation to do anything.

Some years ago she was complaining of pain/cramps, I took her to the lab and tested for the usual.
Came back Vit D deficient and had a whole bunch of B12 in her blood. Haven't tested her for those.
Apparently the Hospital did test her and finds her Ts on the high side if she's been given drugs to lower them. I will find out what that drug is.

Any advice appreciated on how to approach this. @haidut calling on your expertise and also the guru's of this forum.

Thank you all.
Dobster

lvysaur

If she follows a traditional Indian diet, I would say that she should reduce oily and fried food, and eat shellfish occasionally.

DrJ

Sounds more *hypo*thyroid than anything. Did you get a chance to take her temp? Of all the diets in the world, the traditional Indian/South Asian diet seems to me to be the most promoting of hypothyroidism with all the lentils and general lack of good proteins. Even if cooking with ghee, I still think the lack of quality protein sources in that diet is a huge problem. Further, I suspect that ghee is being replaced by cheaper vegetable oil fats, though, so that is also a problem. How is the calcium intake?

lexis

Sounds more *hypo*thyroid than anything. Did you get a chance to take her temp? Of all the diets in the world, the traditional Indian/South Asian diet seems to me to be the most promoting of hypothyroidism with all the lentils and general lack of good proteins. Even if cooking with ghee, I still think the lack of quality protein sources in that diet is a huge problem. Further, I suspect that ghee is being replaced by cheaper vegetable oil fats, though, so that is also a problem. How is the calcium intake?

Indians use a special cooking technique to cook lentils and beans.

beachbum

The Truth About Protein and How the body creates it

Can you explain a little better what he is saying. Thank you very much.

Also when I went to google his name it seems they are trying to sell something and not much more about what to do and why

Last edited:

lexis

Can you explain a little better what he is saying. Thank you very much.

Also when I went to google his name it seems they are trying to sell something and not much more about what to do and why

He is saying the body creates the required amino acids from carbs.