6 Months On Orange Juice

actknow

How did that much citrus for so long not destroy her teeth?
The minerals are likely protective. As a Peat disciple, I regularly drink OJ and occasionally a lot, but never felt it caused dental issues. For comparison, I did as-much-as-I-want with Ice cream for a while and did feel tooth/gum discomfort, so I do not seek out ice cream anymore (I did choose the brands with milk/sugar/cream/vanilla only).

The minerals are likely protective. As a Peat disciple, I regularly drink OJ and occasionally a lot, but never felt it caused dental issues. For comparison, I did as-much-as-I-want with Ice cream for a while and did feel tooth/gum discomfort, so I do not seek out ice cream anymore (I did choose the brands with milk/sugar/cream/vanilla only).
Well that is interesting that the ice cream caused you tooth and gum issues. I have been trying to figure out how to get orange juice into my daily diet, because on it’s own, at night at least, it causes me to have sensitive teeth, so maybe it is the sugar earlier in the day causing it. Yesterday I made an “Orange Julius” with whole raw milk, the zest and juice from one organic orange, a big spoonful or raw whipped honey, which tastes more like sugar than honey, a pinch of salt (very important), a little vanilla extract and ice. I had it twice yesterday and my teeth are not sensitive today. I did not have any sugar yesterday though either. I don’t normal have sensitive teeth with sugar, so I am not sure what to think.

I had the juice of one orange at night, before bed, and brushed my teeth afterwards with a charcoal based homemade toothpaste, and my teeth were sensitive all the next day.

Apple

I had the juice of one orange at night, before bed, and brushed my teeth afterwards with a charcoal based homemade toothpaste, and my teeth were sensitive all the next day.
Any citrus are very challenging on the teeth... even if you drink it through the straw like I do , it still damages gums and teeth.
Every time I start drinking orange juice (inspired by Peat) I get a new cavity or gingivitis. Doesn't matter how much calcium I take.
Sometimes I mix orange juice with baking soda or milk to make it less acidic, still I get inflamed gums .
I know a guy with dental prosthesis , he likes drinking orange juice .

aniciete

I’m convinced it’s the acid. I started having lots of oranges and satsumas in the last month and one of my teeth chipped for the first time.

I’m convinced it’s the acid. I started having lots of oranges and satsumas in the last month and one of my teeth chipped for the first time.
Oh geez that had to be disheartening! I am gonna stick to honey instead of sugar now and keep the Orange Julius idea going and see if I can get away with a couple of oranges a day. I think vitamin C, and vitamin K is the only thing lacking in my diet. I am getting some, but I know more would be much better.

Any citrus are very challenging on the teeth... even if you drink it through the straw like I do , it still damages gums and teeth.
Every time I start drinking orange juice (inspired by Peat) I get a new cavity or gingivitis. Doesn't matter how much calcium I take.
Sometimes I mix orange juice with baking soda or milk to make it less acidic, still I get inflamed gums .
I know a guy with dental prosthesis , he likes drinking orange juice .
I wonder how -Ray Peat is managing to get away with so much orange juice. I wonder if the ripeness of the oranges is the big difference.

Apple

I wonder how -Ray Peat is managing to get away with so much orange juice. I wonder if the ripeness of the oranges is the big difference.
We know that some of Ray's teeth are missing. I think frontal teeth are less exposed to bacteria and acids so they last longer.
He said that it was due to wheat germ ... but I'm sure that high fruit consumption contributed to it.
There is a famous saying :
An apple a day keeps the doctor away, two apples a day will make you pay :))

We know that some of Ray's teeth are missing. I think frontal teeth are less exposed to bacteria and acids so they last longer.
He said that it was due to wheat germ ... but I'm sure that high fruit consumption contributed to it.
There is a famous saying :
An apple a day keeps the doctor away, two apples a day will make you pay :))
I do think the minerals in fruits are good for teeth, so buffering them with the milk and honey is gonna be my strategy for oranges. Do you think watermelon would have any negative effects on teeth?

Apple

I do think the minerals in fruits are good for teeth, so buffering them with the milk and honey is gonna be my strategy for oranges. Do you think watermelon would have any negative effects on teeth?
I usually avoid watermelons for the same reason and prefer less acidic fruits like honeydew.

I avoid honey dew and cantaloupe because of mold issues and it doesn’t behoove my “O” blood type. I love mangos, but I read a study showing that they cause more wrinkles then if you hadn’t eaten them. So I am down to watermelon, which out of season now and soaking blueberries and raspberries for a day or two in water and drinking the colorful water, while avoiding the seeds, snd oranges.

“Eat Right for Your Type states that type O individuals are prone to thyroid disorders and low thyroid hormone levels. Supposedly, they should not eat fruit like melon because they are said to inhibit thyroid hormone production. An extremely high intake of fruits like melon may limit the thyroid’s ability to take in iodine, so we advise replacing melon with delicious and sweet fruit.”

Apple

Honeydew and galia melons are the only fruits that don’t give me teeth and tongue issues.
And they are low carotene unlike other fruit.
Remember those pictures of broken/yellow teeth from ggenereux book , he is onto something with his low vit A/ low carotene diet. And his dental health is very good for his age.

Apple

xeliex

Forum Supporter
For a moment following this thread I thought this was the Grant Genereux forum.

From personal experience, I have zero issues with acidic fruits, coke, or juices. I do consume a lot of dairy. I am 43 yo and have zero cavities with perfect teeth (except for wisdom tooth removal that causes some nerve damage :()

I have no reason for doubting Dr. Peat around his missing teeth issue. I also know 2 friends in real life that lost teeth due to funky diets including carrot juice diets...

This video got me thinking that perhaps a milk and orange diet would be a good endotoxin short term diet / detox plan.

OP
Inaut

Inaut

@xeliex well said.

I think if your teeth are falling apart, it goes a lot deeper than OJ. I drink quite a bit OJ and always rinse my mouth out afterwards. No issues with my teeth (and I used to have pretty bad gum recession and enamel loss).

Apple

interestingly , in this study orange juice suppresses thyroid. ( reducing both T4 and T3 levels, conversion of T4 to T3 , and increasing TSH)

Conclusion:
These findings suggest that fresh orange juice alters thyroid hormones metabolism to reduce their serum levels with a compensatory elevations of TSH level in a direction similar to CARB (Carbimazole is a medicine used to treat an overactive thyroid hyperthyroidism).

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals