5-htp And Why People Perceive It As Good?

Drareg

I recently came across this study on 5-htp.
5-HTP efficacy and contraindications

It seems some people are getting good effect from 5htp, many however react poorly to it.
what the study above points to is 5htp depletes catecholamines dopamine,epinephrine and norepinephrine .
If you are sensitive to adrenalin as it is you may get relief which could possibly explain the euphoric reports people give for this stuff, unfortunately from studying Peats work this may be a land mine on a beach in paradise.

Switching off fight or flight stream of consciousness is a huge relief, many safer ways to do it.

DaveFoster

Interesting perspective Drareg; I only have heard of people who use it for sleep.

OP
Drareg

Drareg

Interesting perspective Drareg; I only have heard of people who use it for sleep.

It's use is rampant, people seem to have this euphoric air about them, a bit St. John's worty vibe going on.
I had an old friend open up about how his life has changed from it, I didn't have it in me to tell him the truth, he had gone through hell financially, he seems to recommend it to everyone as many users do.
The inner voice of Mr or Mrs Adrenaline pipe down,in some cases for the first time since childhood.

The question begs just like fish oil for inflammation, if it is that bad ,the adrenalin response ,does it not make sense people will use this with the limited understanding of biology they have,is it safer than an ssri. We know different form studying Peat,time bomb.

This article associates its use with a celebrity.

Could This Natural Supplement Be the Answer to Antidepressant Dependency? | VICE | United States

DaveFoster

It's use is rampant, people seem to have this euphoric air about them, a bit St. John's worty vibe going on.
I had an old friend open up about how his life has changed from it, I didn't have it in me to tell him the truth, he had gone through hell financially, he seems to recommend it to everyone as many users do.
The inner voice of Mr or Mrs Adrenaline pipe down,in some cases for the first time since childhood.

The question begs just like fish oil for inflammation, if it is that bad ,the adrenalin response ,does it not make sense people will use this with the limited understanding of biology they have,is it safer than an ssri. We know different form studying Peat,time bomb.

This article associates its use with a celebrity.

Could This Natural Supplement Be the Answer to Antidepressant Dependency? | VICE | United States
If it makes people feel good, then it's understandable in the short-term, similar to how beta-endorphin lowers cortisol, which can be necessary, or fish oil and its immunosuppressive effects, as you mentioned.

Sometimes, life is so hard that these things are necessary just to survive and learn more about the body or make it through a stressful situation. Chronic use is another thing. Even with SSRI's, the feeling of well-being is preferable to suicide. Unfortunately, our dysfunctional lifestyles make these interventions necessary.

OP
Drareg

Drareg

If it makes people feel good, then it's understandable in the short-term, similar to how beta-endorphin lowers cortisol, which can be necessary, or fish oil and its immunosuppressive effects, as you mentioned.

Sometimes, life is so hard that these things are necessary just to survive and learn more about the body or make it through a stressful situation. Chronic use is another thing. Even with SSRI's, the feeling of well-being is preferable to suicide. Unfortunately, our dysfunctional lifestyles make these interventions necessary.

Exactly , sad thing is theanine, taurine and glycine are right next to it on the shelf.
At least we have stuff like this on the forum, it may come up on google search.

it helped my headaches quite a bit, but I stopped taking it after reading Peat. It also caused uncomfortable but minor stomach and gastric upset (which you would expect actually).

Pointless

Years back, I used to take it because it would make me feel extremely euphoric. I was having manic episodes with profound euphoria at the time, though. I was suffering from rapid-cycling bipolar disorder. When I tried it more recently (still quite a few years back), there was no hint of that euphoria, but I wasn't suffering from any bipolar symptoms, either.

Some people like to turn off the adrenaline, but some people like to stoke it up with horror movies or extreme sports, aggressive driving, pointless risks, etc. I have to admit I've had these urges only since starting a Ray Peat diet, so my body is struggling to adapt to life without persistently raised adrenaline, I think.

OP
Drareg

Drareg

Years back, I used to take it because it would make me feel extremely euphoric. I was having manic episodes with profound euphoria at the time, though. I was suffering from rapid-cycling bipolar disorder. When I tried it more recently (still quite a few years back), there was no hint of that euphoria, but I wasn't suffering from any bipolar symptoms, either.

Some people like to turn off the adrenaline, but some people like to stoke it up with horror movies or extreme sports, aggressive driving, pointless risks, etc. I have to admit I've had these urges only since starting a Ray Peat diet, so my body is struggling to adapt to life without persistently raised adrenaline, I think.

If your in a high stress cut throat job it's perfect for having adrenalin increased chronically ,In these jobs its advantageous to be able to partially limit adrenalin so you can think clear.

It's like observing colleagues as chimpanzees when you get off the fight or flight bus.

Last edited:

Parsifal

My mother took some 5-htp for some month for sleep and now she has fibrosis in the joints... I would not advise it to anyone.

Makrosky

I've used 5htp in the past and didn't make me depressed nor cold, quite the opposite. But I was using it along l-tyrosine as well.

Titanium

I read in a Taiwan study from December 2015 that 5-HTP suppressed inflammation and was beneficial to treat arthritis in mice. I gave it a try but in a few days I had a flare up of my RA. I had to take Prednisolon to dampen the inflammation. I'm going to dump the 5-HTP in the thrash bin. Wish I had read this thread before.

Frankdee20

I will never even look at that again. 19 years ago, it changed my life for the worst. Developed severe hypersensitivity of the nervous system, and fibromyalgia. It took me years to recover. Similar to what SSRIS do during a negative reaction. See Charles Groenindijk.

Titanium

Interesting. I never got SSRIs but now I will certainly refuse them. I also found this article: Serum serotonin in rheumatoid arthritis patients: 'Relation to rheumatoid factor positivity, clinical manifestations and fibromyalgia.' Supplementation of 5-HTP and also melatonin is not a good thing for people with RA or fibromyalgia. I remember I tried also tryptophan in the past to elevate my mood but it did not help and I even had to throw the bottle away because it made feel me bad. Not as drastic as the 5-HTP but now I understand it is all related to the serotonin pathway and I should not mess with it. Strange thing is that on the Internet there are also claims that 5-HTP is beneficial for fibromyalgia and RA; I dare to say nothing could be further from the truth.

Frankdee20

Interesting. I never got SSRIs but now I will certainly refuse them. I also found this article: Serum serotonin in rheumatoid arthritis patients: 'Relation to rheumatoid factor positivity, clinical manifestations and fibromyalgia.' Supplementation of 5-HTP and also melatonin is not a good thing for people with RA or fibromyalgia. I remember I tried also tryptophan in the past to elevate my mood but it did not help and I even had to throw the bottle away because it made feel me bad. Not as drastic as the 5-HTP but now I understand it is all related to the serotonin pathway and I should not mess with it. Strange thing is that on the Internet there are also claims that 5-HTP is beneficial for fibromyalgia and RA; I dare to say nothing could be further from the truth.

Yes, I’ve seen those claims. Tryptophan will at least convert to Niacin. Most 5htp will remain outside the brain because nobody will combine it with a decarboxylase inhibitor. That causes awful effects, diarrhea, blood pressure changes, flushing, clotting.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom