5 Hour Energy

dietf***ed

A friend was raving about how useful he found this energy drink. I looked at the Ingredients and found niacinamide, b6, b12, folic acid and caffeine. Some other stuff included Taurine , Tyrosine, Phenylalanine etc. Anyone tried this ? Not sure how Peat friendly the second set of ingredients are !

Isadora

Peat says not to experiment with separate amino acids and try to obtain them in nature-intended combinations, from natural foods. He said it in the context of tryptophan, if I remember correctly. Tryptophan being the only carcinogenic amino acid, it makes particular sense to not play with it separately.

That being mentioned, I would try some of the others. I already experimented with Phenylalanine (DLPA) and plan to buy some bulk Tyrosine and Taurine. Both DLPA and Tyrosine are precursors to thyroid hormones, so I imagine they might even boost my T4 production?

Ben

Isadora said:
Peat says not to experiment with separate amino acids and try to obtain them in nature-intended combinations, from natural foods. He said it in the context of tryptophan, if I remember correctly. Tryptophan being the only carcinogenic amino acid, it makes particular sense to not play with it separately.

That being mentioned, I would try some of the others. I already experimented with Phenylalanine (DLPA) and plan to buy some bulk Tyrosine and Taurine. Both DLPA and Tyrosine are precursors to thyroid hormones, so I imagine they might even boost my T4 production?
If you're going to use any amino acids, I recommend theanine, glycine, or proline, but I don't see what's wrong with gelatin. Tyrosine can turn into adrenalin too, so even if it reduces serotonin and increases dopamine, and it causes an increase in free fatty acids and other effects.

If you buy phenylalanine, you might consider converting it to pCPA or NCPA (not sure which it creates) by adding chlorine, and then getting rid of the excess chlorine by adding baking soda, so the sodium and chlorine react to create table salt. I'm unsure if the sodium would react with the chlorine in the pCPA/NCPA, so find out what's the right amount of chlorine to add in the first place so there isn't much in the final mixture.

This thread discusses pCPA, and someone already plans to experiment by converting phenylalanine.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3099&start=30