40yo Male, Heart Attack, Now What?

Zpol

My love, he's 40, just had a heart attack. I now have to switch gears from my own severe health issues to his. I'm so overwhelmed.
He had two stents put in.

He has extremely high cholesterol (the bad kind), and triglycerides are 450.

Now I have to bring him home and cook for him. Can I still use coconut oil? Butter? Salt?

He definitely needs thyroid meds. He's getting blood work done for that. The nurses have been taking temps and pulses, they are all over the board, from 89 degrees Fahrenheit up to to 114. His pulses are low, between 65 and 80.

He's now on baby aspirin, lipitor for cholesterol, metoptolol and Lisinopril for heart rate and blood pressure, and Brilinta for blood thinner. And nitroglycerin as needed if he has extreme angina.
I imagine he will be on T4 soon and possibly T3.

They told him no more saturated fat and 2000mg Salt per day and switch to brown rice and whole grains!!!

He's going to be on those meds for life.

Now I have to think about what I'm going to cook for him.

Meanwhile, I'm seriously I'll with digestive disease and autoimmune which I still have to research.

So anyway, looking for some tips as I can't possibly do all this research plus cook, clean, and bring home a pay check.

BibleBeliever

Manganese is very helpful for lowering excess cholesterol. Very helpful for sluggish thyroid too and the arteries: 11 Benefits of Manganese and 22 Ways It Can Be Bad For You (in excess) - Selfhacked

Maple syrup is a great source of manganese and high in riboflavin too. Wouldn't supplement it, but food sources are great.
Iron Manganese DRI/RDA, benefits, side effects, overdose, toxicity, requirements

A deficiency of manganese is associated with excess cholesterol. A high sugar diet can easily deplete manganese levels. Same with high magnesium and calcium as they antagonize it.
I just bought about 11 liters of maple syrup myself and am having wonderful effects with it.

OP
Zpol

Zpol

A deficiency of manganese is associated with excess cholesterol. A high sugar diet can easily deplete manganese levels. Same with high magnesium and calcium as they antagonize it.
I just bought about 11 liters of maple syrup myself and am having wonderful effects with it.

Thanks. This is exactly the kinda stuff I need to get me on a path to determining the underlying causes.

Sorry about it. Travis posted something about it one of these days:
Is Peat Wrong After All? The Lyon Heart Study

I will read it. I hope I am not left with conflicting information. It will be helpful to know as much as possible though. Thanks.

Pompadour

The Mediterranean diet may be helpfull. In the topic Is Peat Wrong After All? The Lyon Heart Study - is mostly about this diet.

I also would like to have your special attention to good quality olive oil . It shows consistently good results for cardio problems.
For example :
Olive Oil Polyphenols Decrease LDL Concentrations and LDL Atherogenicity in Men in a Randomized Controlled Trial

Risk of first non-fatal myocardial infarction negatively associated with olive oil consumption: a case-control study in Spain. - PubMed - NCBI

But oil must be of good quality and rich in polyphenols.
You can search for good brands at the site https://www.bestoliveoils.com/

I don't know where you live , but in USA for example the brand Olive Ranch is good.

And all the best to you and your loved one. May you be better and helthier day after day!

J

James IV

I'm sorry to hear of your situation. I hope things improve. I don't have much to add except the last thing I would do is replace saturate fats with whole grains.

Manganese is very helpful for lowering excess cholesterol. Very helpful for sluggish thyroid too and the arteries: 11 Benefits of Manganese and 22 Ways It Can Be Bad For You (in excess) - Selfhacked

Maple syrup is a great source of manganese and high in riboflavin too. Wouldn't supplement it, but food sources are great.
Iron Manganese DRI/RDA, benefits, side effects, overdose, toxicity, requirements

On Aug 9, 2017 4:16 PM, "Ray Peat" wrote:
Once a week is more than enough.

> On Aug 9, 2017, at 12:11 PM, wrote:
>
> Ray,
>
> What do you think of Manganese? I noticed it is not high in dairy, but I know it is stored by the pancreas. I did notice it's in oysters. Would you say oysters a few times a week is enough to get it?

>
> Ray,
>
> What do you think of Manganese? I noticed it is not high in dairy, but I know it is stored by the pancreas. I did notice it's in oysters. Would you say oysters a few times a week is enough to get it?

Matt1951

There is no benefit to having grains in the diet, except for oatmeal. Oatmeal is rich in manganese. I agree with Jack Hanma regarding the benefits of manganese.
Saturated fat, such as what is found in butter or coconut oil, will be heart healthy. Avoid the polyunsaturated fats such as corn oil, canola oil, soybean oil, and so on.
Eggs and beef will be healthy. Bone broth will be good. Onions are good for heart health. Diet alone usually doesn't affect cholesterol levels very much, unless there is a nutritional deficiency. It tends to be determined more by heredity. Your husband will be on statins which will lower his cholesterol.
Yes, you should use butter, coconut oil, and salt. A small percentage of people get high blood pressure from using salt, but for most people, using salt is good. Unless your husband is one of those people where salt gives them high blood pressure.

Last edited:

BibleBeliever

>
> Ray,
>
Interesting.
Mollusks, oyster, eastern, wild, raw Nutrition Facts & Calories

This source says 18% rda for 100 grams of oysters. Maybe other sites state higher amounts. Otherwise to get the 100% rda more sources would be necessary; presuming one adheres to the minimals rdas.

That acu-cell site and others speak about high sugars using manganese up. Other sites speak about tannins in coffee/tea inhibiting its absorption.
This study speaks about the negatives of b1 supplementation in animals without manganese: Manganese and Vitamin B1
So anyone taking b1 especially should consider higher manganese. Boron works the same way with it.

The first day or two when I started high maple syrup and lowered orange juice; I noticed my stools were very dark and black and full of fat. I believe the blackness was excessive iron being removed from manganese. The fat perhaps was excess cholesterol. Afterwards all I have noticed is premium movements.

T

tca300

@mayweatherking

Do you know the amount of oysters Ray thinks is appropriate once per week? I have heard him say about 4oz of liver 2-4 times per month but nothing about the amount of oysters.

Thanks!

DaveFoster

My love, he's 40, just had a heart attack. I now have to switch gears from my own severe health issues to his. I'm so overwhelmed.
He had two stents put in.

He has extremely high cholesterol (the bad kind), and triglycerides are 450.

Now I have to bring him home and cook for him. Can I still use coconut oil? Butter? Salt?

He definitely needs thyroid meds. He's getting blood work done for that. The nurses have been taking temps and pulses, they are all over the board, from 89 degrees Fahrenheit up to to 114. His pulses are low, between 65 and 80.

He's now on baby aspirin, lipitor for cholesterol, metoptolol and Lisinopril for heart rate and blood pressure, and Brilinta for blood thinner. And nitroglycerin as needed if he has extreme angina.

They told him no more saturated fat and 2000mg Salt per day and switch to brown rice and whole grains!!!

Meanwhile, I'm seriously I'll with digestive disease and autoimmune which I still have to research.

So anyway, looking for some tips as I can't possibly do all this research plus cook, clean, and bring home a pay check.
The atorvastatin (Lipitor) will interfere with the liver's cholesterol production, which thyroid hormones helps to convert into the steroid hormones, including pregnenolone and its derivatives. Thyroid hormone will lower cholesterol; lower adrenaline (and an accelerated pulse) over time; lower blood pressure; antagonize estrogen's effects and increase progesterone production, both of which will prevent excess clotting and reduce symptoms of angina.

High Estrogen and Heart Disease in Men – Functional Performance Systems (FPS)

OP
Zpol

Zpol

Here is Chris Masterjohn's take on high cholesterol.

The atorvastatin (Lipitor) will interfere with the liver's cholesterol production, which thyroid hormones helps to convert into the steroid hormones, including pregnenolone and its derivatives. Thyroid hormone will lower cholesterol; lower adrenaline (and an accelerated pulse) over time; lower blood pressure; antagonize estrogen's effects and increase progesterone production, both of which will prevent excess clotting and reduce symptoms of angina

I had the cardiologist order a metobolic panel, which he did not, but he did agree to a TSH.. it was 48!!!!

Needless to say I have been urging him to get thyroid blood tests done and journal his temps/pulses but he wasn't into that.

Tomorrow he's starting 50mcg levothyroxine, and I'll get him to the primary physician next Monday to do the free T3 and t4 blood plasma tests.

I knew I was only indoctrinating him this whole time, unfortunately biochem does not interest him. Now his dietician has told him to avoid saturated fat entirely and only eat whole grains. I asked about the issue of microbiota and dental health and it's part in heart disease (I've already explained to my boyfriend why starches, esp. whole grain are no good due to phytates and cause endotoxin), the doc said he doesn't know the exact relation and so cannot comment!

Bottom line, my boyfriend wants to believe me but is now stressing because of the conflicting info regarding sat. Fat that I tell him and the PUFA info the doctors tell him, and he is in immenent danger of another heart attack, at least until his heart is healed.

I think maybe Olive oil is best for now. IDK

DaveFoster

I had the cardiologist order a metobolic panel, which he did not, but he did agree to a TSH.. it was 48!!!!

Needless to say I have been urging him to get thyroid blood tests done and journal his temps/pulses but he wasn't into that.

Tomorrow he's starting 50mcg levothyroxine, and I'll get him to the primary physician next Monday to do the free T3 and t4 blood plasma tests.

I knew I was only indoctrinating him this whole time, unfortunately biochem does not interest him. Now his dietician has told him to avoid saturated fat entirely and only eat whole grains. I asked about the issue of microbiota and dental health and it's part in heart disease (I've already explained to my boyfriend why starches, esp. whole grain are no good due to phytates and cause endotoxin), the doc said he doesn't know the exact relation and so cannot comment!

Bottom line, my boyfriend wants to believe me but is now stressing because of the conflicting info regarding sat. Fat that I tell him and the PUFA info the doctors tell him, and he is in immenent danger of another heart attack, at least until his heart is healed.

I think maybe Olive oil is best for now. IDK
Although men tend to have less problems taking just T4, most do well on a combination of T3 and T4, often between a ratio of T4 and T3 of 4:1 and 2:1 respectively.

Coconut oil promotes the uptake of T3 into the cell, as does caffeine.

Last edited:

GAF

As one whose been thru it far worse than your description, the biggest danger is the docs and their drugs.

Power up and live. That's better than crumbling down and being a dependent.

baggywrinkle

im in a similar situation
obviously reduce puffa its in everything
take nattokinase (100mg daily), but check with doctor if it will effect other blood thinning agents like asprin and clopidogrel or similar
vit k2 d and e
consider also Haiduts mitolipin

tankasnowgod

Addressing this first....
The nurses have been taking temps and pulses, they are all over the board, from 89 degrees Fahrenheit up to to 114. His pulses are low, between 65 and 80.

Those temperature readings simply can't be right. At the extremes, he would be dead from either hypothermia or hyperthermia.

I'm sure, like many on this forum, I don't think very highly of those recommendations that I bolded. In fact, my opinion of garbage is higher.

If you are looking to challenge the recommendations of statins and a low saturated fat diet, the best resource I've come across is "The Great Cholesterol Con" by Anthony Colpo. He lists and breaks down EVERY dietary intervention study in relation to heart disease ever conducted, and EVERY statin trial, up to the time of publishing. Well worth the purchase price for that info alone.

Similarly, if considering a statin drug, you may be interested in reading "Lipitor: Thief of Memory" by Doctor (and Astronaut!) Duane Graveline. Even if a statin drug has some cardiovascular benefit in his particular case, there are very serious side effects that he should be aware of.

Last thing I would suggest is to demand a full iron panel, including ferritin. Colpo's book also goes into the causal role of high iron in heart disease, and lists good resources for further research.

marsaday

Although men tend to have less problems taking just T4, most do well on a combination of T3 and T4, often between a ratio of T4 and T3 of 4:1 and 2:1 respectively.

Men do work better on T4 only because we don't have as much oestrogen interfering with liver function and so holding up the conversion of T4 to T3.

T4 and T3 is a better bet than T4 on its own BUT the ratios are really important. Lots of people are using natural thyroid hormone and this is made in a 4:1 ratio. However, a high level of T3 can actually shut down our thyroid system and so make you hypo (not hyper). It certainly does for me.

Dr Blanchard (unfortunately passed away this year) has written quite a few books on thyroid illness and his ideas are very different to conventional thyroid treatment. The big difference is the ratio he says will get you well. It is basically 98% T4 and 2% T3. He does used compounded SLOW release T3 however and i think this is why this low dose really helps people. I myself have discovered (prior to reading DR B's books) a low dose of T3 is much moe effective than bigger doses. I used to use 150 T4 and 50 T3. Over time i have reduced down the T3 and i now use 3mcg T3 most days. Some days i will miss it out fully. My health is much better on this mix of 150 T4 and 3 T3.

As to the OP post, her husband has had a heart attack because of hypothyrodism. He needs to treated with T4 and his cholesterol will come down naturally. It would be better not to use the cholesterol lowering drugs though because this interfere with some many functions. Over time it may be an idea to introduce a tiny bit of T3, but stick with the T4 for now and see how he reacts. It is always best to start on low doses of any hormone and build up slowly

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals