4000 IU of Vitamin D increases Testosterone by 41%

Gustav3Y

Interesting, even if my D3 levels went up from D3 supplementation in only a month, testosterone didn't move.

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

What calcium are you using? I am using calcium carbonate. Seems to work ok.
Yes same. Eggshells irate my gut somehow. And Now's calcoun carbonate seems okay. I think danny roddy has spoken favorably about it too. Not saying it's perfect . But probably a lot better than not taking any. I take like 500mg per day .

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

hei

In this study they gave healthy males a dose of 4000 IU of Vitamin D and/or the flavonoid Quercetin every day for 8 weeks.

After 8 weeks the testosterone level was increased by 41% ,but only in the Vitamin D group!

Adding Quercetin to vitamin d actually completely removed any increase in T.

That shows how powerful Vitamin D is (a steroid itself) . 4000 IU isn't even a high dose . Just imagine how much better it would have been if they added Vitamin A, E, K and calcium to the mix.

View attachment 29053
Those test levels are so low that I'm not sure about calling them healthy. 10nmol/L = 288ng/dL

Gustav3Y

Those test levels are so low that I'm not sure about calling them healthy. 10nmol/L = 288ng/dL
Good point on the number 10 nmol.

But it would appear that it is 12nmol the starting point and 16nmol after Vitmain D in the study.
That would be 346 ng/dl to then 461ng/dl with Vit D3.

So that is much better and enters into what mainstream Testosterone values are considered good, not that anyone would wish for such low levels anyway outside the mainstream mentality.

hei

Good point on the number 10 nmol.

But it would appear that it is 12nmol the starting point and 16nmol after Vitmain D in the study.
That would be 346 ng/dl to then 461ng/dl with Vit D3.

So that is much better and enters into what mainstream Testosterone values are considered good, not that anyone would wish for such low levels anyway outside the mainstream mentality.
The normal range (Merck) is 300-1200ng/dL (midpoint is 750), notwithstanding that some labs invent their own ranges based on the sick patients they see.
346ng is still bottom of the barrel, they went from low to below average.

Gustav3Y

The normal range (Merck) is 300-1200ng/dL (midpoint is 750), notwithstanding that some labs invent their own ranges based on the sick patients they see.
346ng is still bottom of the barrel, they went from low to below average.
I am well aware of it.

Recently at my lab they reduced the top range to around 700 for some reason.
I would not be surprised that is a tell tale they see mostly under 700ng/dl on daily basis so they made that up, of course this is pure specualtion.

What I am saying, if you go to a doctor and have 350ng/dl, 95% of the doctors will find that normal, let alone 450ng/dl.

hei

I am well aware of it.

Recently at my lab they reduced the top range to around 700 for some reason.
I would not be surprised that is a tell tale they see mostly under 700ng/dl on daily basis so they made that up, of course this is pure specualtion.

What I am saying, if you go to a doctor and have 350ng/dl, 95% of the doctors will find that normal, let alone 450ng/dl.
I am not disagreeing with you. 700 is already below the average found in older studies of healthy populations. But men with 300 and even lower test were being told they were perfectly normal even 10 years ago so that aspect isn't new.
There are probably two things going on that speak to what you are saying:
1. not only do most men they see have low test, but the average keeps going lower and lower
2. lowering the range makes all the values look relatively better, so they are even more likely to be lied to, told bad values are "good", and denied treatment. If you reduce the max to 700, 450 becomes "midrange" and 300 probably "just a tad below normal".

Gustav3Y

Yeah, I would agree.

My experience with endos has been a joke, not only wrong info, but a lot of ignorance to real facts.

miquelangeles

I do feel benefits from D, but I believe it is only able to somewhat normalize T when it is abnormally low and not further increase it. But this is still pretty impressive.

The study authors also noted:

When participants with abnormally high baseline testosterone levels were included in statistical analysis, there was only 1.7% increase in the D group (P=0.963), 2.5% in the P group (P=0.949), 0% in the Q group (P=0.998), and 3.4% in the D + Q group (P=0.849).

On the other hand there are at least 3 other randomized controlled trials with vitamin D that didn't find any effect on T.
Some even found an increase in E and decrease of insulin sensitivity.
Most consistently it seems to lower SHBG. But Ray says SHBG helps androgens enter the cells, so low SHBG is not ideal.

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

I do feel benefits from D, but I believe it is only able to somewhat normalize T when it is abnormally low and not further increase it. But this is still pretty impressive.

The study authors also noted:

On the other hand there are at least 3 other randomized controlled trials with vitamin D that didn't find any effect on T.
Some even found an increase in E and decrease of insulin sensitivity.
Most consistently it seems to lower SHBG. But Ray says SHBG helps androgens enter the cells, so low SHBG is not ideal.

Yes I've also read that it seems to affect most the men with suboptimal testosterone levels .

About the other things (Increasing estrogen and IR) I haven't read that and it doesn't make much sense from a peat perspective. Actually even from a mainstream perspective.

One aspect that isnt talked about enough is that vitamin D deficiency can be the cause of liver problems them selves ,which will lead to lower T4->T3 conversion, less estrogen excretion, less detox ,etc... so taking vitamin D might help in more ways than one to increase T and normalize hormones.

jaype

Nice, so this is Vitamin D by itself without k2. Wonder if adding k2 will make a difference?

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

Nice, so this is Vitamin D by itself without k2. Wonder if adding k2 will make a difference?
Yes I'm pretty sure it will be synergistic! It increases osteocalcin ,which increases T . There was supposed to be an idealabs osteocalcin supplement but it never happened.

Ben.

I do not fare well with vitamin d above 2k iu daily. Never tried a high dose like 10k.
Ordered myself a bulb and lamp with uvb light. Curious if that brings my low level up. I wonder if the skin route has less of an effect as shown by the study.

Thanks for sharing.

Dr. B

Yes I'm pretty sure it will be synergistic! It increases osteocalcin ,which increases T . There was supposed to be an idealabs osteocalcin supplement but it never happened.
what was going to be in that supplement?

k2 could negate the effects of d3, it becomes more important if using lots of d3 along with a high calcium diet, or supplementing calcium

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

what was going to be in that supplement?

k2 could negate the effects of d3, it becomes more important if using lots of d3 along with a high calcium diet, or supplementing calcium
Osteocalcin

Dr. B

In this study they gave healthy males a dose of 4000 IU of Vitamin D and/or the flavonoid Quercetin every day for 8 weeks.

After 8 weeks the testosterone level was increased by 41% ,but only in the Vitamin D group!

Adding Quercetin to vitamin d actually completely removed any increase in T.

That shows how powerful Vitamin D is (a steroid itself) . 4000 IU isn't even a high dose . Just imagine how much better it would have been if they added Vitamin A, E, K and calcium to the mix.

View attachment 29053
good stuff, i was recently looking more into quercetin, not sure if that was you i discussed with how wikipedia has rutin and quercetin listed as a thiamine antagonist as well
i used quercetin in a vitamin c supplement years ago, it was like 500mg, and it caused some redness/irritation on the face skin too. at the time i looked it up and noted it was mentioned to have anti thyroid effects

I think the amounts in orange juice should be small enough, or cancelled out by something else? thats crazy quercetin cancelled out the effects of vitamin d testosterone increase. its nonsense. quercetin has been getting pushed a lot in the last year or so because of I think dr zelenkos covid protocol? it advises zinc, vitamin c and d, and quercetin iirc... i think green tea extract is also a zinc inopohore, and it is a 5ar inhibitor, it may also be an estrogen inhibitor, and has some anti iron effects. but it may have other issues. it can cause liver damage iirc.

Excellent find man.

My mood and motivation improves so much with 4k IU D3 x day. Maybe it is the testo increase? Problem is... it lowers quite a lot my physical stamina and I haven't found yet why. I use also k2, mag/cal, but still...

Any ideas Mauritio?

you may want to drop the mag/cal entirely and replace with milk and Oj or something
K2 too, just 1mg a day is more than enough, even 500mcg a day, or 1mg every other day
did you confirm d3 lowers the stamina and not the cal/mag supplements?
a lot of the mag forms can cause fatigue somehow