Ray Peat Interview #35: CO2, Ketosis, And Mitochondria | PUFA, Sugar, Iron, And AGEs | Progesterone And Cell Stabil

I have SO many questions on this.

I would like someone to explain what Dr. Peat is saying (all the time but especially in response to the very first prompt.)

This is to me the best interview to date. Thank you @haidut and @Danny Roddy

Summer

Danny is usually pretty good about explaining stuff in the comments if you ask. Will take a listen later.

Jessie

The part where he mentioned measuring the serum lactate was very interesting. He's essentially saying the more serum lactate you have the closer you are to death. Out of all the harmful substances he could've chose to focus on (PUFAs, estrogen, phosphate, etc.), it appears he thinks lactate is the worse.

It's interesting, because I've also noticed when I focus on lactate lowering I get the most benefits. Serotonin as well, but serotonin and lactate closely work together. Focusing on lowering either one of those causes a cascade of anti-stress effects.

Jessie

How do you reduce lactate? What are you using/doing?
Right now I'm using baking soda in my diffuser. It's been the most effective way I've found thus far. Thinking about adding a pinch of thiamine next time to see if the effects are boosted.

Anything that raises CO2 will lower lactic acid. Anything that lowers serotonin will also lower lactic acid.

Lollipop2

Right now I'm using baking soda in my diffuser. It's been the most effective way I've found thus far. Thinking about adding a pinch of thiamine next time to see if the effects are boosted.

Anything that raises CO2 will lower lactic acid. Anything that lowers serotonin will also lower lactic acid.
@Jessie thank you!

jamies33

I'm using the Now solutions diffuser. Pretty sure this is the one: Ultrasonic Essential Oil Diffuser. Instead of putting oils in the water I just fill it with the soda water.

No problem, anyone who's had lactate issues I definitely recommend trying it.
Hey I have that one too! It stopped working for a few days randomly, has this ever happened to you? Curiously it happened on day 2 of adding baking soda to the water... do you pre dissolve it before turning on?

yerrag

Co2 would be number one I guess.
Yes, and I'd add that endogenous of CO2 is best. Taking bicarbonate and breathing carbogen, and drinking seltzer - all help, but they're only used because of the body's lack of endogenous CO2 production. They will help like a crutch will help one who's temporarily lost the ability to walk. Eventually one gets back the ability to walk, so that should be the case with getting back the ability to produce CO2 endogenously and profusely.

Lollipop2

Yes, and I'd add that endogenous of CO2 is best. Taking bicarbonate and breathing carbogen, and drinking seltzer - all help, but they're only used because of the body's lack of endogenous CO2 production. They will help like a crutch will help one who's temporarily lost the ability to walk. Eventually one gets back the ability to walk, so that should be the case with getting back the ability to produce CO2 endogenously and profusely.
From carb/fructose?

yerrag

From carb/fructose?
From oxidative metabolism. Not getting stuck at glycolysis, which produces lactate. Helps also that beta-oxidation isn't depriving glucose metabolism from access to intermediate metabolites, such as PDH, to allow it to proceed to mitochondrial phosphorylation.

Low lactate and high CO2/carbonic acidic in blood enables high tissue oxygenation; enough O2 helps ensure sugar metabolism isn't stuck at anaerobic glycolysis, where lactate is an end-product and no CO2 is produced.

High carbonic acid content in blood also allows quick adjustment in acid-base balance thru the lungs, where carbonic acid turns into CO2 and is exhaled. In the process, serum/ecf acidity is quickly lowered.

Being in optimal acid-base balance all the time, and not being in a chronic state of catching up to optimality, ensures that calcium stays outside the cell (at the optimal ratio of 12000:1) and potassium stays inside the cell (35:1 ratio) and this keeps the cell structure in a healthy well-balanced state. Calcification (internally in the cell) doesn't happen, and in the case of the heart and muscles, efficient production of power through calcium ion gradients from the continual flow of calcium into and out of the cell.

Last edited:

Jessie

Hey I have that one too! It stopped working for a few days randomly, has this ever happened to you? Curiously it happened on day 2 of adding baking soda to the water... do you pre dissolve it before turning on?
I haven't had any problems thus far. I dissolve it in a cup with some water first. I just mix it with a spoon until the water turns clear, then I pour it into the diffuser.

Lollipop2

From oxidative metabolism. Not getting stuck at glycolysis, which produces lactate. Helps also that beta-oxidation isn't depriving glucose metabolism from access to intermediate metabolites, such as PDH, to allow it to proceed to mitochondrial phosphorylation.

Low lactate and high CO2/carbonic acidic in blood enables high tissue oxygenation; enough O2 helps ensure sugar metabolism isn't stuck at anaerobic glycolysis, where lactate is an end-product and no CO2 is produced.

High carbonic acid content in blood also allows quick adjustment in acid-base balance thru the lungs, where carbonic acid turns into CO2 and is exhaled. In the process, serum/ecf acidity is quickly lowered.

Being in optimal acid-base balance all the time, and not being in a chronic state of catching up to optimality, ensures that calcium stays outside the cell (at the optimal ratio of 12000:1) and potassium stays inside the cell (35:1 ratio) and this keeps the cell structure in a healthy well-balanced state. Calcification (internally in the cell) doesn't happen, and in the case of the heart and muscles, efficient production of power through calcium ion gradients from the continual flow of calcium into and out of the cell.
Thank you @yerrag!

Quelsatron

doesn't CO2 reinforce its own production since it causes mitochondrial proliferation (which generate CO2)?