3 Years Carnivore...Great Results...How??

Dutchie

Thank you, I wasn’t sure exactly how she ate beyond meat based. From a recent interview I listened to it sounds like Eliot Overton eats similarly and includes some potatoes and white rice as his carb sources.
I've heard her say that she tries to eat some low ox carbs about 4 times a week. She mentioned lemon/limes, mango,rice and maple syrup.

Dutchie

I'm really skeptical of the whole "oxalate dumping" phenomenon ... To me it seems like another way for people who are committed to zero carb to rationalize negative symptoms that are really the fault of ... eating zero carb.
You can be skeptical, but it is a real thing and destroys your entire metabolism....and I'm not even carnivore.
The thing is that dumping happens in cycles, once the body feels it's safe to dump these toxins (which is when you stay consistent low in oxalate). Since you hardly get in oxalates anymore on carnivore, it is possible to experience bouts of problems on carnivore.
However I would think one can assess if that's the case by looking at your urine. It's typically cloudy looking when dumping.

animalcule

P1: "I'm skeptical that it is a real thing."

P2: "It is a real thing. Let me repeat what the thing is, and elaborate on what the thing claims it causes. It is real."

All of the 'symptoms' could be attributed to problems with a zero carb diet. Cloudy urine can be attributed to many things, not just oxalates. Does Norton test patients cloudy urine for oxalates, to confirm that it is oxalate crystals? Are there any studies supporting the 'oxalate dumping' theory? I hate to be the 'show me the studies' person, but anyone involved in the carnivore diet sphere must be looked at with suspicion. They are working off of faulty assumptions, and then looking for reasons as to why people struggle on the diet - any reason except for, "Eating nothing but meat is unhealthy in the long run."

As far as I can tell, it is theory supported by anecdotes of people with preexisting health problems/problems brought on by zerocarb. And Norton basically admits that all of her dietary knowledge/advice pre-carnivore/oxalate dumping theory days was wrong so ... 30 years of bad conclusions, and now ... she's got it right? Oxalates may be a problem for a small percentage of people (like those with vulvodynia) but as with everything involved with zerocarb, the 'solution' is always elimination instead of, idk, figuring out *why* a person cannot handle common plant foods and then fixing that problem.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Oxalates may be a problem for a small percentage of people (like those with vulvodynia)
I had that and interstitial cystitis very painfully for many years before going low oxalate. I know it’s real for me but I have no idea how prevalent it is in the general population.

Dutchie

P1: "I'm skeptical that it is a real thing."

P2: "It is a real thing. Let me repeat what the thing is, and elaborate on what the thing claims it causes. It is real."

All of the 'symptoms' could be attributed to problems with a zero carb diet. Cloudy urine can be attributed to many things, not just oxalates. Does Norton test patients cloudy urine for oxalates, to confirm that it is oxalate crystals? Are there any studies supporting the 'oxalate dumping' theory? I hate to be the 'show me the studies' person, but anyone involved in the carnivore diet sphere must be looked at with suspicion. They are working off of faulty assumptions, and then looking for reasons as to why people struggle on the diet - any reason except for, "Eating nothing but meat is unhealthy in the long run."

As far as I can tell, it is theory supported by anecdotes of people with preexisting health problems/problems brought on by zerocarb. And Norton basically admits that all of her dietary knowledge/advice pre-carnivore/oxalate dumping theory days was wrong so ... 30 years of bad conclusions, and now ... she's got it right? Oxalates may be a problem for a small percentage of people (like those with vulvodynia) but as with everything involved with zerocarb, the 'solution' is always elimination instead of, idk, figuring out *why* a person cannot handle common plant foods and then fixing that problem.

It's funny how you seem to be set on the idea that the oxalate theory is intertwined with a carnivore diet.
It seems that you have some beef (no pun) against the carnivore diet.

Some carnivore gurus might've jumped on the bandwagon to make a stronger case for their diet. However the oxalate toxicity problem has been around longer than the popularity of the carnivore diet. It's just that oxalate toxicity is now getting more attention bc of it.

A low oxalate diet doesn't mean one has to eat a carnivore diet. Sure, carb sources are limited but still an option. I've never heard Sally say anywhere that in order to deal with the oxalate problem, one has to adopt a carnivore diet. I have seen pictures of oxalate crystals in cloudy urine.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I've heard her say that she tries to eat some low ox carbs about 4 times a week. She mentioned lemon/limes, mango,rice and maple syrup.
Thank you. This is helpful to know. I should probably pay more attention to her.

tallglass13

She also does Raw Dairy, lots of Raw Kefir. She did a full video about it. People are still experimenting.

GreekDemiGod

I tried vegetarian for a year and got worse health... but I was under tons of stress at the time.
I fail to see how vegetarianism would be that bad. I mean, if you’re still eating eggs and cheese / milk, what possible nutrients could one be missing from meat?

Did you do a mainstream vegetarian or a high-carb Peat version of it?

aniciete

I fail to see how vegetarianism would be that bad. I mean, if you’re still eating eggs and cheese / milk, what possible nutrients could one be missing from meat?

Sufficient zinc, b vitamins, iron, glycine, taurine, bioavailable copper

ironfist

I was eating tons of eggs on weekends.
My diet was mostly beans and rice, vegetables olive oil and spices. And sardines.

baccheion

Carnitine, taurine, creatine, lysine, etc. Some combination of vitamins and minerals may help the body make what it needs. Apparently, animal protein triggers DHT to be converted to carbs while other sources trigger cortisol.

Will work just fine with proper nutrition and potatoes for carbs, as the protein is great. Also, there'd be proper food combining as it'd be low stomach acid + bile + thyroid (ie, pro-anabolic and DHEA) mode. Minerals don't absorb as well when doing the neutral/alkaline thing, making potatoes great again as they have more potassium + phosphorus + etc.

Otherwise, it is all all-milk diet. Still needs some supplements. Maybe there are some labs that can check levels?

I was never an official carnivore, but I have had absolute cravings for a juicy Porterhouse or well marbled T bone steak. Or NY sirloin. I mean, literal cravings for the meat. I don’t get that with chicken, lamb or any other meat. But steak. It’s like nothing else will satisfy. There’s just nothing like a real tender juicy steak hot off the grill. Yum 😋 Guess that’s the appeal of being a carnivore.

You get to eat meat till your heart’s content lol.

Vileplume

I was never an official carnivore, but I have had absolute cravings for a juicy Porterhouse or well marbled T bone steak. Or NY sirloin. I mean, literal cravings for the meat. I don’t get that with chicken, lamb or any other meat. But steak. It’s like nothing else will satisfy. There’s just nothing like a real tender juicy steak hot off the grill. Yum 😋 Guess that’s the appeal of being a carnivore.

You get to eat meat till your heart’s content lol.
I got hungry reading your comment.