3+ Weeks into the diet...

jaketthomas

It's hard to believe that I've been following this diet for over 3 weeks now. It's been painless. It's a pretty darn easy diet to follow. It tastes great, that's probably why.

I've come to several conclusions after my 3 weeks on the diet. I'm sure I'll have several people saying otherwise, but for me, coffee, potatoes, and OJ don't work. Orange Juice almost always gives me heartburn. I've tried it every which way. With sugar, salt, gelatin, you name it. Same result. Heartburn. Sometimes mild, sometimes severe. I've given up on it. Coffee doesn't work for me either. It actually lowers my body temperature. I've been measuring it for awhile now, and realize that it most certainly does lower my body temp. Also makes me feel "off" sometimes. Lastly, potatoes. I get an awful intestinal reaction to them. Feels like my gut bacteria is engaged in a full on WAR with the potatoes when they leave my stomach.

Other than that, the diet is going great. I feel and look great. I've gained some weight and strength in the gym, my body temperatures are on the rise, I think clearer, sleep better, skin looks rosy, and my appetite is more normal. The best I've felt yet has been after I realized coffee and OJ just doesn't agree with me. 3 days with no coffee and OJ and I feel better than at any other point on this diet. Much like the OJ, I've tried my coffee every which way. Skim milk, cream, half and half, 2%, whole milk, with a little sugar, with lots of sugar, with TONS of sugar, with gelatin, with a little coconut oil, with lots of coconut oil, man, I've done it all. Came to terms 3 days ago with the fact that coffee just isn't for me.

Lastly, I actually feel best with less fluids. I read some of Matt Stone's articles, and it seems people generally don't care for him on this board, but I took his suggestion of minimal fluid intake, and it made a HUGE difference in how I felt. A few sips of drink with a meal, and when I'm thirsty, not more than that. I haven't drank more than 4 ounces at any given time in the last 3-4 days, and I just keep feeling better and better.

J

j.

I would try different types of oranges, or oranges from different stores.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

dietf***ed

Good to heat that you are doing well. By the way, how are you applying Matt Stone's lower liquid consumption to Peat's diet ? What does a normal day's worth of food look like for you?

Like you, I have problems with coffee as well. I can almost feel my feet starting to get cold within a few minutes of drinking it. Coke doesnt sit too well with me either.

Mittir

I used to get heartburn from OJ. Ray peat suggested to add pinch of baking soda to neutralize the acid.
I now use calcium hydroxide to neutralize acid in OJ, this way i am getting extra calcium.
OJ also have aromatase inhibitors that lowers estrogen
Ray Peat recommends lower fluid consumption with extra salt for hypothyroid people.
http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/water.shtml

cliff

FYi just because something lowers your temp doesn't mean its bad. Temp can be elevated by stress hormones, so things that lower that can lower temps.

Overall temps, pulse and body cues are the best way to decide what you can tolerate

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
cliff said:
FYi just because something lowers your temp doesn't mean its bad. Temp can be elevated by stress hormones, so things that lower that can lower temps.

This, I wanted to say the same thing but hesitated.

Also, just because temp went up doesn't always mean its good. Ray Peat discussed that recently.

Attachments

• Part 10 53.17 to 56.22.mp3
    1.2 MB · Views: 24

Lucy

cliff said:

Overall temps, pulse and body cues are the best way to decide what you can tolerate

How about something warming up your extremities, that would most likely be good, no?

gretchen

I'm sorry the orange juice doesn't work for you, it's one of the best things about the diet. Great to hear you are doing well though. :)

peat415

I hesitate to even join in only having about 10 days under my belt. I started from a WAPF style mod carb Paleo diet. So lot's of good food with few ways to judge how it was affecting me. I also found Ray Peat from Matt Stone's diet recovery book, so regardless how one feels about Matt, he is probably getting lots of people into RP. Any how I've been keeping a log of my sleep, temps, pulse and meals for the 10 days. I started with a temps of around 96.5 or so and a pulse rate of only 60 bpm. This seemed to suggest hypo thyroid and also may be the reason I had a lot of sleep problems. So far I've only added gelatin, orange juice, milk, sugar, and cheese to my regular foods and I am getting averages of about 98 degrees during the day and my pulse is up to 65-75. I'm also sleeping better. I think part of that is restricting indiscriminate water drinking. I only drink when thirsty and try to drink orange juice (with lemon) and milk more than water. I've gone from drinking about a gallon of liquid a day to a bit less than 64 oz and try to remember to take a pinch of salt with liquids, just to give myself some extra. Working on adding coffee back in. I don't want to upset the great sleep I've been getting. Doesn't RP say that coffee is great to eat with muscle meats if you are going to eat them as it balances out the tryptophan in them?

J

j.

peat415 said:
Doesn't RP say that coffee is great to eat with muscle meats if you are going to eat them as it balances out the tryptophan in them?

I think the main benefit is reduction in iron absorption.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
peat415, gelatin is used to balance out the amino acids of muscle meat.

peat415

Thanks for all the great info on the food combining. I've got to figure that out since I bought myself a bunch of grass-fed beef (steaks) and want to eat them. With coke or coffee and some gelatin I guess:)

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Yum!!!!

NCanuck

I have an amazing brand of O.J. from Florida that uses 100% Florida oranges, lightly pasteurizes the product and does not use any enyzmes to keep the pulp in the juice without you knowing it (i.e. it naturally seperates). Plus theres actually a reasonable expiry date that the company even says if you ever see o.j. passed 3 weeks for a pasteurized product, then its been in a flavour tanker.

Anyways, is it absolutely necessary to strain the pulp out of the o.j? I have been drinking it with the pulp in and I think I prefer it. If you think or claim it is necesssary, can you please provide me with evidence or reasoning to do so.

Thanks! :):

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
NCanuck said:
I have an amazing brand of O.J. from Florida that uses 100% Florida oranges, lightly pasteurizes the product and does not use any enyzmes to keep the pulp in the juice without you knowing it (i.e. it naturally seperates). Plus theres actually a reasonable expiry date that the company even says if you ever see o.j. passed 3 weeks for a pasteurized product, then its been in a flavour tanker.

Anyways, is it absolutely necessary to strain the pulp out of the o.j? I have been drinking it with the pulp in and I think I prefer it. If you think or claim it is necesssary, can you please provide me with evidence or reasoning to do so.

Thanks! :):

NCanuck, welcome to the forum. :welcome

What brand of OJ are you using?