2014 Study: Normal Sugar Consumption Not Associated With Health Problems

Tarmander

LucH said:
I may eat = it might happen. That a cirum-locution to say I try not often.
Let's take one example: Some people add sugar in their bread. I don't (remember: I practice: 80/20% => nutri80/20). Nothing in forbidden unless ...

What...what does this mean..

Giraffe

Tarmander said:
LucH said:
Let's take one example: Some people add sugar in their bread. I don't (remember: I practice: 80/20% => nutri80/20). Nothing in forbidden unless ...

Sssss.... Google it! Don't ask for non-Peat diet advice.

Tarmander

Giraffe said:
Tarmander said:
LucH said:

I feel like this whole thing is a cirCumlocution

OP
burtlancast

burtlancast

“Much of the current concern about the dangers of fructose is focussed on the cornstarch- derived high fructose corn syrup, HFCS. Many studies assume that its composition is nearly all fructose and glucose. However, Wahjudi, et al. (2010) analyzed samples of it before and after hydrolyzing it in acid, to break down other carbohydrates present in it. They found that the carbohydrate content was several times higher than the listed values. “The underestimation of carbohydrate content in beverages may be a contributing factor in the development of obesity in children,” and it’s especially interesting that so much of it is present in the form of starch-like materials.” -Ray Peat, PhD

burtlancast said:
“Much of the current concern about the dangers of fructose is focussed on the cornstarch- derived high fructose corn syrup, HFCS. Many studies assume that its composition is nearly all fructose and glucose. However, Wahjudi, et al. (2010) analyzed samples of it before and after hydrolyzing it in acid, to break down other carbohydrates present in it. They found that the carbohydrate content was several times higher than the listed values. “The underestimation of carbohydrate content in beverages may be a contributing factor in the development of obesity in children,” and it’s especially interesting that so much of it is present in the form of starch-like materials.” -Ray Peat, PhD

I think someone said that study was bad or something.

OP
burtlancast

burtlancast

LucH said:
To have AGE, a glycation, you must have a sugar + a protein (or sugar + lipid, but less dangerous).

"The name, “glycation,” indicates the addition of sugar groups to proteins, such as occurs in diabetes and old age, but when tested in a controlled experiment, lipid peroxidation of polyunsaturated fatty acids produces the protein damage about 23 times faster than the simple sugars do (Fu, et al., 1996)."

Wilfrid

burtlancast said:

However, in a private exchange between Cliff and RP ( and I've got almost the same response from Ray about HFCS safety ):

"I asked ray recently "Someone told me you drink HFCS coke regularly? do you think it is not
that harmful if someone is healthy?"
His reply-"I prefer Mexican coke with real sugar (it tastes very different), but metabolically there isn't much difference."

viewtopic.php?t=514

Not very helpful, confusing at best..... what do you think?

Zachs

Giraffe said:
Tarmander said:
LucH said:

Giraffe, good to see you! :D

Wilfrid

Such_Saturation said:
burtlancast said:

Here, always interesting:

http://peatarianreviews.blogspot.fr/201 ... erior.html

LucH

Wilfrid said:
But I still don't understand why you are always refering to the danger of carbs and/or sugar ( in this case as a source of AGE) when the study you posted clearly states that those are the lowest sources of AGE in edible foods ( page 8 of the study you quoted from PubMed)...
Most people don't take their carbs from fruits and vegetabbles but from cereals and partly from nuts or legumes.
Have a look at most menus:
When you remove the meat and coconut oil, what is left? People do not always settle for fruit and vegetables. where do they get carbohydrates?
In dairy products. Genial for IGF-1 hormones!
I have nothing against creamy white cheese but not 2 or 3 times a day if it comes from a yogurt (insulin index) or pasteurized skim milk!
View oncologist Pr. Joyeux for details. He is however not labeled paleo!
And afterwards people add honey or maple syrup or fructose syrup, etc.

Why I warn against excessive carbohydrates?
[highlight=yellow]Control glycated hemoglobin (HbA1c) at the next blood test and you will understand why,[/highlight] if you are more than 50 years old (diabetes). 1 person about 10.
If your are above 4 at 40, 5 at fity years old, it's nearly too late to change habits.

PS: I'm not against bacon if you don't add orange juice or a fruit juice in the menu! Once or twice a a week is ok.
steam-cooked and then fried in coconut oil + 2 eggs :thumbup

PS2: I'm not trying to convince anyone to change his diet but when I see someone asking details, I inform. This may be due to a professional deformation. I'm a teacher ;)
There not only one thruth, isn't it?
:yellohello
LucH

Wilfrid

" There not only one thruth, isn't it?" :1
As for Pr. Joyeux, I read the books he wrote in the nineties ....almost the exact opposite of what he recommends now....Same case with the work of his friend Seignalet, he was very close to his friend's conclusions but after Seignalet's death, he took his ( diet ) distances....I was listening to one of his radio interview lately and , bam, he did it again with "the acid-base diet" that he was promoting 20 years ago based on Kousmine's work ( heavily based on whole grains, raw and cooked vegetables, fruits, juices, one intake max of protein a day, budwig type breakfast, nuts, vegetable oils ( sunflower, flaxseed oil, vitamins injections ect....)). So no, same as Dr Cordain in a different way, I'm not a huge fan....

Tarmander

LucH said:
I have nothing against creamy white cheese but not 2 or 3 times a day if it comes from a yogurt (insulin index) or pasteurized skim milk!

Like...what...what are you saying? Your against creamy cheese in skim milk?

LucH said:
LucH

What does this even mean?

Blinkyrocket

LucH said:
Wilfrid said:
But I still don't understand why you are always refering to the danger of carbs and/or sugar ( in this case as a source of AGE) when the study you posted clearly states that those are the lowest sources of AGE in edible foods ( page 8 of the study you quoted from PubMed)...
Most people don't take their carbs from fruits and vegetabbles but from cereals and partly from nuts or legumes.
Have a look at most menus:
When you remove the meat and coconut oil, what is left? People do not always settle for fruit and vegetables. where do they get carbohydrates?
View oncologist Pr. Joyeux for details. He is however not labeled paleo!
And afterwards people add honey or maple syrup or fructose syrup, etc.

[highlight=yellow]Control glycated hemoglobin (HbA1c) at the next blood test and you will understand why,[/highlight] if you are more than 50 years old (diabetes). 1 person about 10.
If your are above 4 at 40, 5 at fity years old, it's nearly too late to change habits.

PS: I'm not against bacon if you don't add orange juice or a fruit juice in the menu! Once or twice a a week is ok.

PS2: I'm not trying to convince anyone to change his diet but when I see someone asking details, I inform. This may be due to a professional deformation. I'm a teacher ;)
LucH
You are confusing and I don't like you. We're all gonna die sometime, if we eliminated every food that would eventually cause some disease we would be left with a diet of air and sunshine, but without nutrients to create carbon dioxide that air would be of little use.

OP
burtlancast

burtlancast

Wilfrid said:

Mmm.

"White is right about our abstract. We were not able to repeat the observations, and found out that the calibration samples were not properly prepared leading to systematic errors. "

My shill o'meter just went off reading this...

(surely a calibration error from my part... ;) )

PS: this is coming from the same site claiming "The daily raw carrot is not antiseptic"...

jyb

LucH said:

LucH

I have not seen hard numbers about this HBA1C for sugar versus PUFA. But it would be relevant to this discussion, certainly more relevant than exogenous dietary AGEs and stuff in my opinion.

Wilfrid

burtlancast said:
Wilfrid said:

Mmm.

"White is right about our abstract. We were not able to repeat the observations, and found out that the calibration samples were not properly prepared leading to systematic errors. "

My shill o'meter just went off reading this...

(surely a calibration error from my part... ;) )

PS: this is coming from the same site claiming "The daily raw carrot is not antiseptic"...

Burt,

I'm starting to know you......You're being sarcastic...and you want to hurt my ( french ) feelings. You know what....
There is a russian saying..... that it's easier to hurt one's feelings than to create a real friendship :cry: ( I will let you add the adequate music....)

OP
burtlancast

burtlancast

Mon cher Wilfrid, i was just trying to be a little funny.

No pun intended. :)

But again, doesn't this site raise a few questions marks to you ?