2004 patent for low PUFA eggs

Beastmode

I've been investigating this topic quite a bit as we're planning on having our own birds soon.

Reading through that link still, but the mention of Vitamin E over and over got me thinking how the larger presence of it might help mitigate the remaining pufa in the egg.

I've been studying how to grow worms as most of the soil is crap and would talk time to rebuild.

Kitchen and garden scraps, masa harina tortillas cooked in coconut oil and egg shell calcium, some seafood and a little kelp are some of the basics we plan on testing out with our chickens.

I talked to Peat about this via an email exchange.

Last edited:

tankasnowgod

I've been investigating this topic quite a bit as we're planning on having our own birds soon.

Reading through that link still, but the mention of Vitamin E over and over got me thinking how the larger presence of it might help mitigate the remaining pufa in the egg.

I've been studying how to grow worms as most of the soil is crap and would talk time to rebuild.

Kitchen and garden scraps, masa harina tortillas cooked in coconut oil and egg shell calcium, some seafood and a little kelp are some of the basics we plan on testing out with our chickens.

Semi-related, there are some people that are interested in raising low pufa pork. First link talks about chicken,too-

Beastmode

Semi-related, there are some people that are interested in raising low pufa pork. First link talks about chicken,too-

Primal Pastures farm in California have pigs that are close to 100% grassfed. They're smaller than the typical ones, but they're definitely on my radar to potentially add to our farm in the future :)

tankasnowgod

Primal Pastures farm in California have pigs that are close to 100% grassfed. They're smaller than the typical ones, but they're definitely on my radar to potentially add to our farm in the future :)
I didn't think pigs ate grass. Aren't they omnivores?

OP
I

iROH

Yeah,it's hard to find information on the internet.
Googling "low PUFA eggs",all came up are related to increasing n-3 ratio.This patent seemed promising at fitst but 12% was not that low,I saw another one with 16% with linseed oil fed from trying to increase n-3.

Dr Shapira probably aimed for the same thing,she advocates Mediterranean diet and antioxidants.

Would like to know how low it could be for eggs,the low PUFA porks are 4%.

haidut

Forum Supporter
Simply feeding chickens beef tallow, sheep loin, or other longer-chain saturated fats is a great way to lower PUFA contents of eggs. Feeding them coconut oil is good for their liver but not much will get incorporated in the eggs. For that, longer chain fatty acids (15:0 or longer) are needed, hence the need for the beef/sheep fat. Feeding them butter is probably the cheapest and most widely available source of SFA, if beef/sheep body/organ fat is not available. Adding some pregnenolone and/or policosanol (even a tiny amount works, as per the study below) not only further amplifies the egg quality and saturation, but increases the egg production rate too, and protects the chickens from most of the common avian disease.

Beastmode

@Beastmode
Can you post the email?

What I wrote above:

"Kitchen and garden scraps, masa harina tortillas cooked in coconut oil and egg shell calcium, some seafood and a little kelp are some of the basics we plan on testing out with our chickens."

I was hoping he would expand on it a bit as I was aware of the above already. I don't think it's something he's really dived into as he doesn't raise chickens. I could be wrong :)

Giraffe

Worm castings are good for plant health, yield and nutrient content. Also they improve water holding capacity of the soil.

Attachments

• Vermicompost and its role in plant growth promotion.pdf
    779.9 KB · Views: 11

jdrop

Chickens have been a great compliment to our home, not quite a homestead. Observing them socialize, eat and communicate has been interesting. The quality of the eggs goes right along with the levels of stress they have, coupled with available food. Currently, we've had snow for the last few weeks, the
eggs can get a bit yellow and taste can be off, not bad, just not as good. We bring extra food out to them since they can't dig around. Chickens are very nutritionally selective, you can see they have a strong instinct toward nutritionally dense foods. They respond great to saturated fats like butter, cheeses, and meats. Probably the two favorite foods they have are sunflower seeds and eggs. Tallow/fats comes in third - we often serve them fats/blood from cooking. If they see anything yellow, they hope its an egg yolk and go for it, their response to food color is strong, especially gold/yellow. They gobble up liver with aggression. Like us, they need complimentary nutritional support, which can be observed a few hours after feeding them liver - they have tons of energy but are super hungry, cofactors needed. We keep two scraps containers in the kitchen - one compost and one for chickens, you can build soil that way pretty fast. Can also get some free wood chips and maintain some bugs for food without doing much, much of raising chickens has dual purpose.

Stresses will impact a flock hard. Predator attacks and really windy days are the most stressful things, will change egg quality in one day - eggs can be off in shape, shell quality, or color. Nothing worse than a few days of wind in a row, really bothers them.

All in all, they've helped us further enrich our soil, and allowed us to use all of our food with little waste while providing us with food and fun.

Inaut

Chickens have been a great compliment to our home, not quite a homestead. Observing them socialize, eat and communicate has been interesting. The quality of the eggs goes right along with the levels of stress they have, coupled with available food. Currently, we've had snow for the last few weeks, the
eggs can get a bit yellow and taste can be off, not bad, just not as good. We bring extra food out to them since they can't dig around. Chickens are very nutritionally selective, you can see they have a strong instinct toward nutritionally dense foods. They respond great to saturated fats like butter, cheeses, and meats. Probably the two favorite foods they have are sunflower seeds and eggs. Tallow/fats comes in third - we often serve them fats/blood from cooking. If they see anything yellow, they hope its an egg yolk and go for it, their response to food color is strong, especially gold/yellow. They gobble up liver with aggression. Like us, they need complimentary nutritional support, which can be observed a few hours after feeding them liver - they have tons of energy but are super hungry, cofactors needed. We keep two scraps containers in the kitchen - one compost and one for chickens, you can build soil that way pretty fast. Can also get some free wood chips and maintain some bugs for food without doing much, much of raising chickens has dual purpose.

Stresses will impact a flock hard. Predator attacks and really windy days are the most stressful things, will change egg quality in one day - eggs can be off in shape, shell quality, or color. Nothing worse than a few days of wind in a row, really bothers them.

All in all, they've helped us further enrich our soil, and allowed us to use all of our food with little waste while providing us with food and fun.
Awesome post!

Beastmode

Thank you! I really believe after researching what many of the popular regenerative farmers do, I still see a lot of "Peat based" inputs to consider with their diet, etc. Even the whole thing that they're vegetarians are b.s. I saw a video of Dave Asprey (not his biggest fan) feeding his chickens leftover lamb fat and they devoured it.

At some point I really want to get some labs on the eggs to see their nutritional profile compared to what places like Polyface farms (Joel Salatin) and others are producing.

Have you run any labs on them yourself? Seems like you're using a far different approach than the others.

jdrop

Thank you! I really believe after researching what many of the popular regenerative farmers do, I still see a lot of "Peat based" inputs to consider with their diet, etc. Even the whole thing that they're vegetarians are b.s. I saw a video of Dave Asprey (not his biggest fan) feeding his chickens leftover lamb fat and they devoured it.

At some point I really want to get some labs on the eggs to see their nutritional profile compared to what places like Polyface farms (Joel Salatin) and others are producing.

Have you run any labs on them yourself? Seems like you're using a far different approach than the others.
They're certainly not vegetarians. They seem to enjoy the intense focus of catching crickets and the frenzy of thrashing around a field mouse. When they get their fill of something, they stop eating it and look for other things. They eat a ton of grass, but I do not think they'd be healthy just eating plants.

A permaculture/regenerative lens often aligns with Peat, although the culture will trend toward certain dogmas, so there is much to tune out but more to learn.

Have not run labs, but maybe I will once spring rolls around. Our hens roam around a wooded lot with lots of grass, and we lock them up at night. I would imagine the ones that are better at foraging have a more optimal lab profile, as well as those higher in the pecking order. The foragers seem to have a higher energy level, the others are less active and generally more skittish.

Would be interesting to see labs on the eggs as well as the shells.

Beastmode

They're certainly not vegetarians. They seem to enjoy the intense focus of catching crickets and the frenzy of thrashing around a field mouse. When they get their fill of something, they stop eating it and look for other things. They eat a ton of grass, but I do not think they'd be healthy just eating plants.

A permaculture/regenerative lens often aligns with Peat, although the culture will trend toward certain dogmas, so there is much to tune out but more to learn.

Have not run labs, but maybe I will once spring rolls around. Our hens roam around a wooded lot with lots of grass, and we lock them up at night. I would imagine the ones that are better at foraging have a more optimal lab profile, as well as those higher in the pecking order. The foragers seem to have a higher energy level, the others are less active and generally more skittish.

Would be interesting to see labs on the eggs as well as the shells.

Do you provide them with any forms of calcium (i.e- egg shell or oyster) to supplement their diets? I imagine it shows on the egg shell firmness.

Simply feeding chickens beef tallow, sheep loin, or other longer-chain saturated fats is a great way to lower PUFA contents of eggs. Feeding them coconut oil is good for their liver but not much will get incorporated in the eggs. For that, longer chain fatty acids (15:0 or longer) are needed, hence the need for the beef/sheep fat. Feeding them butter is probably the cheapest and most widely available source of SFA, if beef/sheep body/organ fat is not available. Adding some pregnenolone and/or policosanol (even a tiny amount works, as per the study below) not only further amplifies the egg quality and saturation, but increases the egg production rate too, and protects the chickens from most of the common avian disease.
From a study on Tokelau Islanders, it seems that a lot of the fatty acids from coconut found their way into the fat stores. Interestingly, the chickens accumulated much more lauric acid in their tissues than pigs, nearly 4 times as much to be more precise( 10% vs 39%). Any reason the same wouldn't happen with the eggs?

haidut

Forum Supporter
From a study on Tokelau Islanders, it seems that a lot of the fatty acids from coconut found their way into the fat stores. Interestingly, the chickens accumulated much more lauric acid in their tissues than pigs, nearly 4 times as much to be more precise( 10% vs 39%). Any reason the same wouldn't happen with the eggs?

In theory, it should make its way to their eggs but most studies (even with birds) show that medium chain fatty acids (<14 carbon-chain length) are mostly processed by the liver and rapidly oxidized. Whatever escapes the liver is also mostly oxidized and not stored much. For storage, fatty acids with chain length of 13-14 or more carbons seems to be required. The only way to find out what happens when feeding them those fats is by doing a lab analysis on the egg-yolk fats.