2002 about E. coli/endotoxin cause of Fibromyalgia

jyb

This means that primary fibromyalgic syndrome (often found in combination with
chronic fatigue syndrome and irritable colon) is to be assessed primarily as an
infection of the intestine - specific bateriophages infect their specific host cells
(in this case E koli) - secondly, through the release of endotoxins, as intoxication
locally (reaction of the bowels) and in the blood circulation after absorption
through the intestinal walls.

Prevention of new infection: no raw meat (everything boiled or well-done; boiled
salamis, boiled ham; no fast-food) no fresh milk (not been pasteurized), no cheese
made from fresh milk, no raw vegetables or salad which have been grown in natural or
liquid manure.

What's the cause here, a specific infection due to bad luck (ate a bad piece of meat), or a weakened GI tract that inevitably got infected?

OP
S

Swandattur

I would guess a weakened immune system. There is supposed to be a new dangerous E. coli as opposed to a fairly innocuous variety. Maybe people get infected with the bad one? Maybe through eating spinach greens for instance that are contaminated?

Mittir

There is a similar theory for Hashimoto thyroditis. Some kind of bacteria causing all these. But they did not show any strong evidence. RP said about Lyme disease that all the patient he knew with lyme disease diagnosis were cured by thyroid med.
He also said same thing about fibromyalgia. Both Lyme and Fibromyalgia symptoms are same as hypothyroid symptoms.

OP
S

Swandattur

I think I remember reading something about the connection with hypothyroid in a Ray Peat article. Maybe the low thyroid sets up the conditions for these things to happen and then fixing the thyroid problem reverses the autoimmune reactions. Do you remember which article or interview contains that information? The person I know with fibromyalgia does also have a recognized thyroid problem. I don't think doctors have helped her much with these. She also has kidney stones that require periodic trips to the emergency room.

Mittir

Swandattur said:
I think I remember reading something about the connection with hypothyroid in a Ray Peat article. Maybe the low thyroid sets up the conditions for these things to happen and then fixing the thyroid problem reverses the autoimmune reactions. Do you remember which article or interview contains that information? The person I know with fibromyalgia does also have a recognized thyroid problem. I don't think doctors have helped her much with these. She also has kidney stones that require periodic trips to the emergency room.

Sorry i did not make notes on those. I did a google search found some info

Ray Peat + Fibromyalgia or Ray Peat + Autoimmune

"There are people who advocate the use of tryptophan supplementation or other means to increase serotonin in the tissues as a treatment for the fibromyalgia syndrome, but the evidence increasingly suggests that excessive serotonin, interfering with muscle mitochondria, is a major factor in the development of that syndrome."
http://raypeat.com/articles/aging/trypt ... ging.shtml

He also has different take on " auto-immune disease".

"For many years, physicians have been taught that diabetes is either "genetic" or possibly caused by a viral infection, that might trigger an "autoimmune reaction," but the study of cellular respiration and energy metabolism and endocrinology has provided more convincing explanations. The antibodies that are found in the "autoimmune" conditions are evidence of tissue damage, but the damage may have been done by metabolic toxins, with the immune system's involvement being primarily the removal of defective cells. "

http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/gl ... etes.shtml

and there are lots of info there. He thinks excess estrogen plays a big role in most auto-immune diseases in females.

"Estrogen's actions are closely and pervasively involved with the regulation of calcium, and these changes affect the basic tissue structures and processes that constitute the innate immune system. Estrogen's effect in increasing susceptibility to “autoimmune” diseases hasn't yet been recognized by mainstream medicine"

http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/milk.shtml

This site has all the audio interviews of Ray Peat.

http://eastwesthealing.com/podcasts/ray-peat/

In that list one interview is explicitly on autoimmune.

Politics & Science: Auto-immune and Movement Disorders

You can also search the forum for previous posts on Fibromyalgia.

viewtopic.php?f=52&t=804

OP
S

Swandattur

Thank you for all these references. When I can get my brain in gear, I'll look through them. I see that you are pointing out that Peat does not believe there is any autoimmune involvement. I wish I could get my youngest son to read Ray Peat, because he's the one born with the brains in the immediate family. (Who knows, maybe partly due to my gestational diabetes at the time.)