20 best testosterone-boosting diet plan foods

Dave Clark

Hans, have you ever read anything negative on mangosteen? I have stayed away from it for years because I had read some studies, which I can't find now, that it could cause lactic acidosis and something about the xanthones causing problems with either the liver or colon. I wish I could find the study I read, because it was very disconcerting.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Hans, have you ever read anything negative on mangosteen? I have stayed away from it for years because I had read some studies, which I can't find now, that it could cause lactic acidosis and something about the xanthones causing problems with either the liver or colon. I wish I could find the study I read, because it was very disconcerting.
There was one case report of mangosteen causing severe lactic acidosis, but I don't think we can conclude that it's the mangosteen's fault. Perhaps they had a B1 deficiency and then got lactic acidosis due to the inability to metabolize the sugar.
In terms of the liver, it's only beneficial. In terms of the colon, there was one study mice study they found: "α-mangostin (α-MG), the most abundant xanthone in mangosteen fruit, altered the intestinal microbiome, promoted dysbiosis, and exacerbated colitis in C57BL/6J mice." (R)
It's unlikely to have that same effect in humans if you eat the fruit or drink the juice.

Dave Clark

There was one case report of mangosteen causing severe lactic acidosis, but I don't think we can conclude that it's the mangosteen's fault. Perhaps they had a B1 deficiency and then got lactic acidosis due to the inability to metabolize the sugar.
In terms of the liver, it's only beneficial. In terms of the colon, there was one study mice study they found: "α-mangostin (α-MG), the most abundant xanthone in mangosteen fruit, altered the intestinal microbiome, promoted dysbiosis, and exacerbated colitis in C57BL/6J mice." (R)
It's unlikely to have that same effect in humans if you eat the fruit or drink the juice.
The last one you mentioned I think is the study I had seen that turned me off.
So, when you say, 'eat the fruit or drink the juice', are you referring to 'not' consuming the 'rind', or is it that by doing it that way, there is less concentration of the xanthones, and that the rinds are okay to consume? This could be a case of the dose making the poison.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
The last one you mentioned I think is the study I had seen that turned me off.
So, when you say, 'eat the fruit or drink the juice', are you referring to 'not' consuming the 'rind', or is it that by doing it that way, there is less concentration of the xanthones, and that the rinds are okay to consume? This could be a case of the dose making the poison.
If I was going to consume the fruit, I'd eat the flesh or drink the juice. In the mouse study, they gave them isolate α-mangostin, which is likely non-ideal. It's better to have the whole fruit.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals