2 Years Since I Didn't Come Here: I Healed All Of My Health Problems

G Forrest

The only reply I got when asking for advices were mostly "eat more calories, eat more sugar, get x supplement, etc".

I stopped coming on this forum after he answered one of my email where he obviously rejected evidence that was contradicting his ideas on the gut (that a sterile gut is better)..

In the first paragraph who was giving this advice? Was this directly from Peat? If so what was the context of the conversation?

In the second paragraph above, what was the specific evidence that Peat rejected? Asking for clarity so I can understand the perspective better.

Thank you

jet9

Thanks everybody for the nice comments :):.

Hey milk_lover thanks, I don't really feel qualified to give any health advices and like I said I think we're all different, but in my case there are 7 main things that helped the most:

1) Improving my gut microbiome
2) Reducing fungal infections (stopping sugar and some supplements when needed)
3) Improving vagal tone (the healthier/happiest I became, the easier it became of course, loving-kindness meditation helps a lot)
4) Meditation/mindfulness/relaxation
5) Avoiding foods that I don't tolerate well (lectins, dairy, the most amazing part is that while I improve my gut health I started tolerating most of these foods better)
6) Circadian rhythm protocols (including intermittent fasting).
7) And finally exercise (really improved the anhedonia and well-being by 30% alone, but I needed to fix myself first because with dysautonomia I was exercise intolerant).

Regarding microbiome health, I highly recommend people to check what Kiran Krishnan has to say. While I don't agree with him on everything (let's say that I agree on 80%), I think he shares a lot of great content. The microbiome is really involved in virtually any disease/health issue, I'm reading a lot of research about it and that's really amazing.

Thanks LifeWire. I did not want to create a polemic as I find it really useless, 99.99% debates are only egos clashing and none of the debaters will have grown or changed their view in the end, they will become even more closed. I just wanted to share my testimonial and give some hope as I craved to read this kind of post when I was very sick. That was already quite long for 1 post.

However, I will try to reply to you (very) briefly: I think that Peat (or at least the way he is interpreted online) is too dualist (either a substance is absolutely good or bad). He stresses too much the effects of some molecules like if they were bad in every context and doses. We need serotonin, we need estrogens and other of these molecules that have a bad rap here to maintain homeostasis. And we need a gut microbiome (which is involved in virtually any systems of the body, even the nervous system and hormones), the higher the diversity the better (which is not promoted by Peat's guidelines).

Hey jzeno, while I agree that starches are important and useful, I don't think that most people can tolerate all starches well and in every context. Potatoes for examples are nightshades, they have a bit of lectins and their glycemic index are high. While I tolerate them now and eat a bit of them, while I still was "full Peat" I was sick each time I just ate a bite (and even other starches), so I think it's really a matter of context and that people have to adapt and heal their gut permeability. That's also why I don't want to give any specific advices, some people might really be sick if they try to emulate what I'm doing because they would need several adaptative steps before being able to fully tolerate more starches/fibers in their diet.

My favorite starches are purple sweet potatoes which were the main staple of okinawans until recently. I also eat quite a lot of leafy vegetables and rice.

Also about PUFA, while I keep them low most of the time (I guess under 5%, I don't count), I'm not obsessed about getting them to 0% and I think that Peat might be excessive about his claims on PUFA. I don't agree with Paul Jaminet on many things, but what he says about PUFA seems more grounded to me.

Thanks Tenacity, and I'm happy if it gave you some hope as it was the goal of my message.
Regarding dysautonomia, I know there are a lot of different types so what helped me might not help you. Still, in my case what helped was reducing gut permeability and inflammation, balancing the nervous system and improving vein tone with polyphenols.

Hey Idenonaut, I'm sorry you did not find anything meaningful here but I wanted to keep it short. You will find more information in this post even though I kept it broad.

Hey lampofred, I might have misinterpreted some of Peat ideas but this kind of sentence: "such as thinking estrogen and iron are good for you because they give you energy in the short term, even though they will cause long range damage" is exactly what I call reductionism and dualism and criticized in my message to LiveWire.

It would have been more correct if you have said "they will cause long range damage IN EXCESS". The body actually needs them to function, and if you don't have any excess of them, why try to reduce them?

Thanks opson123, to keep it short:

I was jobless and recluse for several years but now I live in a tropical country (my dream since many years) and own companies in 2 different countries. I travel a lot and work with a team of 15 people. Have many different projects (ecology, permaculture, art, philantropy, etc) and work around 80 to 100 hours per week on all of this. Still find some time to have great time with my wife, read a lot, learn new things, exercise, etc.

Hope you understand if I don't come here a lot ;), I guess that some things I said will be debated and criticized but honestly I don't care, I found my path and what works for me so I will put priority on enjoying life, I think it might be my one of my last message here as I said what I had to say and don't really see what I could add more.

Great post Dave, thanks for sharing! Bruce is definitely an inspirational man.

Final note. I only agree with few % of what the following people/books say but they helped me in different areas:

- Toxic: Heal Your Body from Mold Toxicity, Lyme Disease, Multiple Chemical Sensitivities, and Chronic Environmental Illness by Neil Nathan

- The Paleo Approach by Sarah Ballantyne for autoimmunity. Disclaimer: I think that paleo is a buzzword but the book is interesting and valuable

- The Plant Paradox by Steven Gundry

- Kiran Krishnan for gut microbiome and health

- Dave Mayo for circadian related things

Would advise to look at polyvagal theory, heart rate variability, how to increase vagal tone, positive psychology, even personal growth/philosophy books.

Take care everybody, wish a good health to all of you no matter what are your means to attain/maintain it :yellohello.
I also notice that exercise and keeping Circadian rhythm in order is crucial for me.

Could you tell where are your carbs coming from ? Is it mostly purple sweet potatoes, veggies and rice ?

And where are you getting your purple sweet potatoes ? They are very hard to find in my area.

kaybb

You are asking great questions. I think about these things all the time because I simply love them. I make my own ice cream. Normal ice cream cannot be made without fat (need whipping cream) and of course, without sugar, it would not be satisfying. The way I try and split the baby on this one, is this is one area of my life where I try to apply reasonable portion control :): I am now considering making ice cream using low-fat Yogurt. If I perfect this, I'll try and post my results here. The individual ingredients of ice cream are completely healthy. Metabolically, the mixture can cause problems if over-indulged but I make no apologies for loving ice cream. An EXCELLENT substitute for ice cream is Yonanna frozen fruit processor. Frozen ripe bananas are delicious and simulate ice cream very well! I've found the combination of frozen honey dew and frozen cantaloupe are delicious and feel like you are eating ice cream. They are also spectacularly beautiful in color when you serve them.

Chocolate I love it but it is a tweener food (fat/sugar). Chocolate is high in fat. Ever tried Baker's chocolate or Cocoa powder, or raw Cacao? They are bitter and taste awful. It's not until you add sugar does it become what we all know and love. I contend what people are really responding to with chocolate is the sugar. Otherwise, why not just eat the raw chocolate? I suppose chocolate could be made with something like xylitol to cut the carb content. I try and eat in moderation but simply love it. I make no apologies for loving sugary things by I do try and avoid mixing fat and sugar if possible (for metabolic reasons described above). If not possible to avoid the mix such as in chocolate, I use portion control but I will not lie, it is hard, really hard :):
Did you try to make the ice cream yet ? Did you find a good recipe? I’m loving the recipes

danielbb

Did you try to make the ice cream yet ? Did you find a good recipe? I’m loving the recipes
Kay - I still make ice cream and make no apologies for loving it. I have not tried the Yogurt ice-cream idea shared above but simply using a no-fat Yogurt and honey combination has been working so well for me, it pretty much takes care of my cravings for ice cream. I made homemade Ben & Jerry's Chunky Monkey recently and people loved it. When I eat things that mix large doses of fat and sugar like ice cream and pastries, I use portion control (to the extent possible) rather than deny myself one of life's blessings. It's possible to be completely healthy, have very low body fat, and still enjoy things that make us happy. My main things that have restored my health are giving up processed food, selecting and preparing food from whole-food sources, controlling how much I eat to achieve desired scale results, with moderate exercise that are all applied reasonably over time. I no longer believe supplements are necessary. Thank you for mentioning the recipe's as that is a hobby of mine.

gqoq

It is hard to imagine what a good metabolism is like if one has a poor metabolism. I mean a truly rocking 100% metabolism. I have had one myself twice in my life and let me tell you, it's something else.

I've yet to get it back, but I know when I do, all sorts of things will change - I likely also will move to a tropical climate, quite possibly will start a side business on top of my day job, start powerlifting again - probably start competing etc. I wouldn't believe this change would be believable either if I hadn't experience what a good metabolism feels like.

I used to post on anabolicmen forums before they shut down and this one guy said he went from office monkey to CEO after fixing his health. Seems far-fetched but I absolutely believe it. Virtually everyone has a suppressed metabolism which is also suppressing their ambition, their dreams, their motivation. Once health is repaired, there are no inhibitions and virtually no limit on what you can accomplish.

When your mind is 100% functioning with no brain fog or distractions all of a sudden you crave success and ambition and confidence comes easily. It is a great place to be. To be honest, the only reason I care to live any more is knowing that such a state of mind is achieveable, because right now my life isn't that great, but I know it can get better.

This was really pretty to read. Made me feel good.

MURSENARY

"Eat a little of everything, but not too much of anything." - Mike Mentzer

balance, balance, balance. This seems to be the overarching principle in everything.

PeatReader

..in my case there are 7 main things that helped the most:

1) Improving my gut microbiome
2) Reducing fungal infections (stopping sugar and some supplements when needed)
3) Improving vagal tone (the healthier/happiest I became, the easier it became of course, loving-kindness meditation helps a lot)
4) Meditation/mindfulness/relaxation
5) Avoiding foods that I don't tolerate well (lectins, dairy, the most amazing part is that while I improve my gut health I started tolerating most of these foods better)
6) Circadian rhythm protocols (including intermittent fasting).
7) And finally exercise (really improved the anhedonia and well-being by 30% alone, but I needed to fix myself first because with dysautonomia I was exercise intolerant).

Regarding microbiome health, I highly recommend people to check what Kiran Krishnan has to say. While I don't agree with him on everything (let's say that I agree on 80%), I think he shares a lot of great content. The microbiome is really involved in virtually any disease/health issue, I'm reading a lot of research about it and that's really amazing.

@Parsifal could you talk about "1) Improving my gut microbiome" a little bit? What did you do to improve your microbiome? Do you take a probiotic and if so, which one(s)? I listened to one podcast with Kiran so far and the suggestions were:

Consuming polyphenols
Intermittent fasting
Get out in nature
Get a dog
Probiotics
Vitamin K2
Dietary diversity (adding different random foods from ethnic stores)