2 questions about gut flora and PUFAs

Parsifal

I am wondering two things lately:

- First, there is debate on this forum on gut and fibers flora viewtopic.php?t=7043 and I wanted to ask a question about it.

It is said that children that have had a C-section (so they don't get their mom's flora at birth) will have a weak immune system and will get loads of infections.
Haidut and Peat also say that it increases the metabolic rate tremendously. I think people here support Jamie Cunliffe's view of the immune system so it seems that getting a higher metabolic rate will make the immune system stronger?

Is it true that people without gut flora have weaker ability to fight bacteria and viruses? I'm asking that because I have some kind of strange flu since 2 weeks now whereas before when I was not Peating (the dumb fruitarian 80/10/10 thing) I didn't get any infections for almost 2 years.
Also it is said that these people will be more prone to yeast infections and parasites because they won't have the first line of defense against them.
I was wondering if that was really worth it (getting a sterile gut) for people that don't need to regenerate themselves after long time illness (not my case, I'm coming from really farso ready to do anything that will raise my metabolism) as it seems that only gram negative bacteria are producing endotoxins, so what would be the problem with others bacteria? Guys following this paradigm, how is your immune system compared to before?
Personally I can't eat any starches now without getting a flu 1 or 2 hours after eating it.
And what about the paradigm that viruses don't exist?

Could you please elaborate on this? This is a really interesting topic so...

It seems to me that we are going toward a sterile gut flora for most of us and overcoming that immunity issue with the raw carrot, cascara, vitamin K2, charcoal and methylene blue but what about yeast and parasites?

- Secondly, it seems that PUFAs break down into prostaglandins that are needed IIRC from what mainstream nutrition say to signal when there is a damage in a tissue (inflammation) so that the body repair it. Do your wounds repair well with PUFA depletion and isn't there a risk of developing conditions like hemophilia if we get a prostaglandin defficiency (is there still some prostaglandin without PUFA consumption)?

Don't c-section babies just get a different part of the flora?

tara

Parsifal said:
post 113397 Haidut and Peat also say that it increases the metabolic rate tremendously.
What does? C-section? I haven't seen that.

Parsifal said:
post 113397 And what about the paradigm that viruses don't exist?
Never heard of this one, either. At least not in our lifetime.

Babies who emerge by C-sections don't maintain sterile guts. They are more vulnerable to colonisation by whatever opportunistic microbiota they encounter in their environment.

Parsifal said:
post 113397 it seems that getting a higher metabolic rate will make the immune system stronger
All organs and systems require adequate energy to function effectively. That's what adequate thyroid function is for. Peat has said that the thymus is can be catabolised very quickly when the body is under extreme acute stress. Chronic undereating can cause this, too. You need reasonable thyroid function to support the thymus. IIUC, the thymus is immunity central, in that when it is functioning well, it is the nursery that raises immune cells that are good at distinguishing 'me' from 'not me', and working to remove the 'not me' - eg. infectious viruses or bacteria. Also, there are aspects of immunity that function more effectively at higher temperature - hence fevers. Having a chronically low body temperature can make them less effective. I'm sure there are other aspects to immunity as well, but I think these are both relevant parts of it.

Parsifal said:
post 113397 It seems to me that we are going toward a sterile gut flora for most of us and overcoming that immunity issue with the raw carrot, cascara, vitamin K2, charcoal and methylene blue but what about yeast and parasites?
I don't think sterile gut is a realistic option for real people living in the real world. I think there may be benefit to keeping the numbers down a bit, for at least those of us with a weak gut barrier. I think there can be issues with fungal overgrowth if the gut is made less hospitable to bacteria but not to fungii.
Parasites are another issue, and infections may need to addressed in other ways. I think supporting the bodies own systems with good nutrition and other supportive tactics helps its immune system to ward off bacterial and viral infections. I'm not sure whether the same applies to parasites, since they tend to steal and thrive on our nutrition.

Parsifal said:
post 113397 - Secondly, it seems that PUFAs break down into prostaglandins that are needed IIRC from what mainstream nutrition say to signal when there is a damage in a tissue (inflammation) so that the body repair it. Do your wounds repair well with PUFA depletion and isn't there a risk of developing conditions like hemophilia if we get a prostaglandin defficiency (is there still some prostaglandin without PUFA consumption)?
I don't know the details of how repair of traumatic injuries occur, ut I have not seen or heard of any evidence of reduced wound healing from very low fat diets if other nutrients are well supplied. Vit-K 2 is one of the factors that helps counter excess bleeding.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Parsifal

Parsifal

tara said:
Parsifal said:
post 113397 Haidut and Peat also say that it increases the metabolic rate tremendously.
What does? C-section? I haven't seen that.
No, a sterile gut.

Thanks for you other replies tara :hattip.

Last edited by a moderator:

Amazoniac

Parsifal, I just pointed out that study because if I recall correctly, they showed that even babies that were born in different ways didn't differ that much when they grow older. Their microbial composition in the gut started to diversify as they matured, to the point where they couldn't sort anymore those that were born normally than those that needed c-sec. But that doesn't mean that those that were born normally didn't have an advantage, apparently they did, but with time there are other factors that play a bigger role and influence more, like diet, lifestyle, stressors, etc..

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals