18th Century Doctor’s Peaty Diet Advice

antiqua

So I came across this video for “milk soup”, a recipe from an 18th century doctor who specialized in weight loss.

The milk soup itself is interesting. It’s like a “healthy” version of Cinnamon Toast Crunch made with high quality ingredients. And this was considered a weight loss food!
As the video went on I was struck by this guy’s super Peaty principles. He basically promoted eating a meat-free, dairy based diet with fruits, root vegetables, and some bread/grains. Sugar was regarded as a healing and strengthening food.
He emphasized avoiding alcohol and “toxic air” found in cities. He even wrote about the importance of a regular 8 hours of sleep and mild (!!) exercise for weight loss. His most recommended form of exercise was horseback riding, as he wrote it “jostles the organs in unison” in a way that promotes health.
This guy got up to like 400 pounds living in London and drinking with the lads, and he successfully lost 200 pounds in 6 months by moving to the countryside and adhering to the principles stated above. He then moved back to the city and over a few years gained a large amount back, leading him to the conclusion that polluted city air and crowded spaces were an unhealthy environment. He again lost the weight after leaving London for good and returning to his “diet”.
For the 1700s, this stuff is pretty interesting because it’s rare to hear people from that early talking about weight. It tickled me to see carbs and sugar used for weight loss purposes.

Brundle

By God, and didn't he? Proclaim it, lads: this scoundrel Sir Raymond Peat is proven right again!

Would that we should all live as long as Old Tom Parr!

Well now, me scurvies, this be as good a regimen as any I've yet set me teeth into. Yo ho ho and two quarts of good milk!

ursidae

avoiding polluted air and getting enough sleep is the most important bit

OP
antiqua

antiqua

By God, and didn't he? Proclaim it, lads: this scoundrel Sir Raymond Peat is proven right again!

Well now, me scurvies, this be as good a regimen as any I've yet set me teeth into. Yo ho ho and two quarts of good milk!
Peat vindicated again! Sugary milk is a timeless food

Inaut

I guess it’s similar to rebounding. If I had more space I’d use one..

Edit- I’m going to try this with rusks. It sounds so delicious

Last edited:

Inaut

So I just made a batch of “soup” according to the recipe. This has got to be one of the most satisfying things I’ve ever made for myself. I could live off this and fruit seriously! Everybody has to try it. I made it with some sourdough bread and it’s the 💣

Vileplume

So I just made a batch of “soup” according to the recipe. This has got to be one of the most satisfying things I’ve ever made for myself. I could live off this and fruit seriously! Everybody has to try it. I made it with some sourdough bread and it’s the 💣
After watching the video, I too am inspired to go on a George Cheyne-style diet

OP
antiqua

antiqua

thanks for reporting back! I have a fresh loaf of sourdough I just baked, I’ll try making some too. So sad I no longer have my dairy cow so pasteurized milk will have to do :/

Ian Lenny

I was dying laughing reading this. Thank you

Jennifer

I made milk soup yesterday, but with bananas instead of bread, and it was really good. I make a lot of spiced fruit compôte during the winter that I top with raw cream so it’s similar, but I like how the soup is milk-based. I love raw milk as is, but it’s nice having other ways of consuming it. I’m going to try it with peaches next. Cinnamon peach is one of my favorite compôtes so I imagine it will also be yummy as a soup.

Inaut

I made milk soup yesterday, but with bananas instead of bread, and it was really good. I make a lot of spiced fruit compôte during the winter that I top with raw cream so it’s similar, but I like how the soup is milk-based. I love raw milk as is, but it’s nice having other ways of consuming it. I’m going to try it with peaches next. Cinnamon peach is one of my favorite compôtes so I imagine it will also be yummy as a soup.
my mouth is watering...

Atelier

Good idea! I avoid bread even sourdough, so I'll try it your way!

Jennifer

my mouth is watering...
Good idea! I avoid bread even sourdough, so I'll try it your way!

It’s so good! I just sliced up the bananas and fried them in some butter like the man did with the bread and it helped them hold their shape well and added a nice caramelized flavor. After I posted, it dawned on me that I grew up consuming milk soup in the form of chowders. New England clam chowder and sweet corn chowder were staples in my family.

Atelier

So I came across this video for “milk soup”, a recipe from an 18th century doctor who specialized in weight loss.

The milk soup itself is interesting. It’s like a “healthy” version of Cinnamon Toast Crunch made with high quality ingredients. And this was considered a weight loss food!
As the video went on I was struck by this guy’s super Peaty principles. He basically promoted eating a meat-free, dairy based diet with fruits, root vegetables, and some bread/grains. Sugar was regarded as a healing and strengthening food.
He emphasized avoiding alcohol and “toxic air” found in cities. He even wrote about the importance of a regular 8 hours of sleep and mild (!!) exercise for weight loss. His most recommended form of exercise was horseback riding, as he wrote it “jostles the organs in unison” in a way that promotes health.
This guy got up to like 400 pounds living in London and drinking with the lads, and he successfully lost 200 pounds in 6 months by moving to the countryside and adhering to the principles stated above. He then moved back to the city and over a few years gained a large amount back, leading him to the conclusion that polluted city air and crowded spaces were an unhealthy environment. He again lost the weight after leaving London for good and returning to his “diet”.
For the 1700s, this stuff is pretty interesting because it’s rare to hear people from that early talking about weight. It tickled me to see carbs and sugar used for weight loss purposes.

Thank you, it's interesting! He sounded like a fun gentleman.
He was also respecting his circadian rythm by going to bed early. Promoted being out to enjoy the sun, promoted non stressful but enjoyable activiites.
It’s so good! I just sliced up the bananas and fried them in some butter like the man did with the bread and it helped them hold their shape well and added a nice caramelized flavor. After I posted, it dawned on me that I grew up consuming milk soup in the form of chowders. New England clam chowder and sweet corn chowder were staples in my family.
It sounds great I must try! Thank you!
Wow, I just searched for a clam chowder recipe... it's so peaty! I would just replace the flour with something else, maybe white sweet potato flour. I have to try it as well, it sounds like a delicious way of eating shell fish!

Jennifer

You’re welcome, @Atelier. :) Yes, chowders are quite peaty. I use gelatin in place of flour to thicken it, but the starch from the potatoes also helps with that.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals