14 Year Old Girl With Depression On Prozac What Do

She cries a lot, and is very sensitive. Shatters from criticism.

Has said she feels like killing herself.

Her mother is BPD and I think the girl has estrogen issues. Lot of fat around thighs and hips.

There is a strong psychological component but I'm interested in the hormonal aspect.

I'm thinking progest-e would be beneficial..yes?

Rand56

Her mother is BPD and I think the girl has estrogen issues. Lot of fat around thighs and hips.

There is a strong psychological component but I'm interested in the hormonal aspect.

I'm no doctor, but I would pay serious attention to the warning sign. I had MDD many years ago, and Prozac for me was the absolute worst AD I took. Could not handle the side effects. Extremely anxious and agitated. Of course the doc told me to hang in there with it, but there was no way in h*** I was going to do that. I told the doc to get me off of it. See if he doc is willing to do the same. Why take a chance on something more seriously happening.

paymanz

I'm not knowledgeable about progesterone, but my suggestion is to check her diet to make sure its balanced, some minerals and vitamins deficiencies may have symptoms like that.

Also hypothyroidism may be a suspect.

Dhair

Poor girl.
It's important for someone close to the situation to stay on top of this. When I was that age I was on SSRIs and I had similar feelings but I didnt know how to solve the problem. I just assumed that the adults know best.
Would it be difficult to convince the mother to stop giving her Prozac?

OP
pimpnamedraypeat
Poor girl.
It's important for someone close to the situation to stay on top of this. When I was that age I was on SSRIs and I had similar feelings but I didnt know how to solve the problem. I just assumed that the adults know best.
Would it be difficult to convince the mother to stop giving her Prozac?

It's the school that gave it to her. I've tried to gently tell her its bad for her but she trusts doctors like they're gods

How did you end up getting off the SSRIs and feeling better?

What-a-Riot

agree with the suggestion to check the diet, but i think most people would benefit from a modest b-complex, magnesium, and vitamin d with almost no risk. zinc occasionally as well, but on that id say mostly try to work in zinc containing foods.

how's her sleep like? i actually wish i had started using caffeine in my teens when my sleep schedule was as all over the place as my emotional disposition. i'm a big time proponent for using caffeine to offset effects of sleep deprivation and maintain adenosine homeostasis. wouldnt need to be much

aspirin a couple times a week might be worth considering. theres some stuff on the forum and more out on the internet about depression and brain inflammation

lastly id say look into creatine and depression.

considering the least safe thing in all that is aspirin, its all worth looking into. it sort of amounts to the frontline brain and body building substances that have stood the test of time and that anyone might recommend, just substances that support energy, growth, and development.

and of course, it helps to have people that she can really openly talk to, not just people who say 'you know you can talk to me,' but people who make that a reasonable thing to do. ideally that'll be multiple people in different types of roles, different ages, presumed levels of authority, etc. but any one helps

Dhair

It's the school that gave it to her. I've tried to gently tell her its bad for her but she trusts doctors like they're gods

How did you end up getting off the SSRIs and feeling better?
Confront her with the evidence. Are you a family member? If so, then be firm about it if you have to.
The teen years are crucial for a young girl's development. This is not a good time for her to be having these kinds of issues.
Also, what kind of school has the authority to medicate its students??

Constatine

Progest-e would indeed be very beneficial. Preg too. But what will help the most is plenty of sun exposure. If you live in a sunny area get her outside like your vacationing in Hawaii. Most modern day mood related problems can be completely fixed with enough sun exposure. Its also important to keep this up over the long term as mood is quite cumulative.

SQu

Sounds like she needs someone who understands what she's up against, just to be there for her, sounds like that's you. Both my daughters clearly have estrogen dominant symptoms and many of their friends are much worse off with things like diagnosed pcos, bipolar, and more. So I think they're up against more these days, and would look into progesterone and protein. For starters.

OP
pimpnamedraypeat
how's her sleep like? i actually wish i had started using caffeine in my teens when my sleep schedule was as all over the place as my emotional disposition. i'm a big time proponent for using caffeine to offset effects of sleep deprivation and maintain adenosine homeostasis. wouldnt need to be much

considering the least safe thing in all that is aspirin, its all worth looking into. it sort of amounts to the frontline brain and body building substances that have stood the test of time and that anyone might recommend, just substances that support energy, growth, and development.

I'll suggest aspirin.

Confront her with the evidence. Are you a family member? If so, then be firm about it if you have to.
The teen years are crucial for a young girl's development. This is not a good time for her to be having these kinds of issues.
Also, what kind of school has the authority to medicate its students??

Every school. I'm family but I have no authority.

Progest-e would indeed be very beneficial. Preg too. But what will help the most is plenty of sun exposure. If you live in a sunny area get her outside like your vacationing in Hawaii. Most modern day mood related problems can be completely fixed with enough sun exposure. Its also important to keep this up over the long term as mood is quite cumulative.

Not possible but thanks

Sounds like she needs someone who understands what she's up against, just to be there for her, sounds like that's you. Both my daughters clearly have estrogen dominant symptoms and many of their friends are much worse off with things like diagnosed pcos, bipolar, and more. So I think they're up against more these days, and would look into progesterone and protein. For starters.

It's very strange the things kids are going through.

I'll suggest aspirin and progest-e with diet changes if possible.

Thanks everyone

I think the only people who would suggest going up to someone with a stack of pubmed abstracts are those who never tried doing so because it does not work.

Dhair

I'll suggest aspirin.

Every school. I'm family but I have no authority.

Not possible but thanks

It's very strange the things kids are going through.

I'll suggest aspirin and progest-e with diet changes if possible.

Thanks everyone
Where do they live? I have never heard of a school nurse writing a prescription for Prozac or any other antidepressant/antipsychotic. I have only seen them give out things that can be obtained over the counter.

OP
pimpnamedraypeat
Where do they live? I have never heard of a school nurse writing a prescription for Prozac or any other antidepressant/antipsychotic. I have only seen them give out things that can be obtained over the counter.

Wasn't a nurse was a child psychiatrist at the school.

I think the only people who would suggest going up to someone with a stack of pubmed abstracts are those who never tried doing so because it does not work.

yea..most likely I will suggest it to her as a beauty supplement

DaveFoster

Unfortunately, true. But it does build credibility. It shows that you're almost a med school student for whatever that's worth.

Amber

Hi,

Im pretty young myself, 18 at the moment and can understand the way she feels. The things that helped me are magnesium (800mg daily, glycinate or malate), some more salt and low dose (15mg) zinc picolonate a few times/week. Hope this helps :)

Pointless

I've tried to gently tell her its bad for her but she trusts doctors like they're gods

It sounds like your chances of success are pretty low but good luck. It's a certain personality type that takes health into their own hands, and there's not a lot that someone like that can do for others, even if they have the right answers.

Progesterone supplementation can be tricky, with different doses having positive or negative effects. This may require some experimentation, which she might not be up for. The fact that she's an adolescent complicates this even more, but maybe there's greater room for positive effects with the estrogen onslaught that can happen at this age.

Mood disorders, especially BPD, can be rapidly treated with a little salt in water IME. Put a teaspoon of salt in a bottle of juice. Start with half a glass twice a day and up the amount every few days. This can be very helpful.

Last edited:
OP
pimpnamedraypeat
Mood disorders, especially BPD, can be rapidly treated with a little salt in water IME. Put a teaspoon of salt in a bottle of juice. Start with half a glass twice a day and up the amount every few days. This can be very helpful.

Really? How does this work?

Source?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals