130 volt incandescent actual color temperature.

biggirlkisss

I understand that 130 volt incandescent 2700k is more red and less blue due to it having a thicker filament which makes the bulb run cooler. My question is what is the actual color temperature of 130volt bulb 2600k or 2400k? I know there are some 2200k halogens I've seen out there but I can't compare if I dont know what a 130volt 2700k halogen or 130 volt incandescent is in the color temperature measurement.

StephanF

Forum Supporter
The voltage is irrelevant. The concept color temperature stems from the black body emission of an object that is at a certain temperature.

The filament of a light bulb, when lit, is not a perfect ’black body’ but close enough. One can compare the emission spectrum from a filament to the emission spectrum of our sun.

From Wikipedia:

1620593275107.png

on this color map, the inserted line shows the shift of the apparent color from black body emmisions for different temperatures.

The sun’s color temperature is about 5900 Kelvin. So a light bulb rated at 2500 K is giving off a lot of red and infrared light in comparison to the remaining visible light in comparison to a 5000 K lightbulb for the same wattage.

Here are black body emission plots of different temperatures, also from Wikipedia:

1620593848807.png

This is for the same black body held at different temperatures. One can get the same total output intensity by keeping the wattage the same. One has therefore to take a thicker, longer filament than for a higher color temperature light bulb.

I hope that helps.

OP
biggirlkisss

biggirlkisss

also have to take into consideration that depending on cool the sun is he can be as low as 2700k. Using a cd or dvd can give me a rough idea how much less blue and vilent there is when comparing lights at different color temperatures.

Lumalux

The design voltage of the bulb will not by itself determine the color temperature.
For conventional incandescents (excluding halogens and xenons), the 130-volt version of the same bulb with the exact same design specs (wattage and lamp life) will burn slightly cooler and thus have a lower/warmer color temperature than the 120-volt version. As incandescent bulbs are getting less common, it's hard to find 130 volt bulbs.

Look for older style bulbs with rough service filaments designed for 130 volts and long life (such as 5,000 hours). Those are the warmest in appearance (they appear yellowish). I would guess than many produce light in the 2,600 - 2,650K range. Lots of good infrared light and heat.

Another approach is to use a tinted incandescent bulb. Dawn Pink bulbs used to be really popular in the US in the '60s up until about the '90s. They give off a very warm, pink tone. Not sure of the color temp, but they are 2,700K skewed towards the red spectrum.

What do folks think about neodymium lamps? I use them all over my house because I like how they make colors (particularly reds) "pop".

OP
biggirlkisss

biggirlkisss

Leds can have 5x the lumens and there are some ones you can buy that are 1800k color temperature. In terms of cheaper solutions like incandents and halogen there are incandesent bulbs that are not only 130 volt but also 10000 hours by having a even thicker filment. They would have lower lumens because violent and blue is pushed out for more red. I have also seen 2200k halogen at a high enough wattage. I would love to get a spectroscope to compare 10000 hour incadents to 2200k halogens. If infared really is of benefit you could do a combo of led and incandnce or halogen. Dunno about other devices that produce infared to use in combo like security cameras. I think main benefits are orange to deep red. In terms of neodymium i know very little I can tell you though that using a amber filter on say incadenct is not worth 20% lose of red even if you blue 80% of blue.

google quote

So even though neodymium light bulbs have a 2800K color temperature, the light they produce appears to be bluer - similar to daylight and to other light bulbs that product light with color temperatures in the 5000K or higher range.

The lumen production is not great. Leds would be alot better.

Here's something interesting if you buy a 240 volt incadencelets say at 1000 watt 240volt it will run at 450 watts in north america and give a lot more orange to red last longer too.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals