10 PSSD Recovery Tips And Tricks (herbs, Drugs And Strategies)

CalmAmygdala

Thank you. So here is something that has always perplexed me. Paroxetine has helped my anxiety tremendously. As I am tapering off, my anxiety is elevating. Do you know why this is? Why would paroxetine alleviate anxiety if it increases serotonin so potently? How can i combat this and is it temporary? Thanks for your insight

Frankdee20

Thank you. So here is something that has always perplexed me. Paroxetine has helped my anxiety tremendously. As I am tapering off, my anxiety is elevating. Do you know why this is? Why would paroxetine alleviate anxiety if it increases serotonin so potently? How can i combat this and is it temporary? Thanks for your insight
Increasing the reuptake of serotonin will eventually downregulate receptors...

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
There could be a few reasons, but it potently increases brain neurosteroids, such as allopregnanolone (R, R). Perhaps you can try progesterone or 5a-DHP from Idealabs.

CalmAmygdala

It seems paroxetine reduces hyperactivity in the amygdala because of increased serotonin transporter binding. This would cause a reduction in arousal/anxiety. I wonder what other ways there are to soothe amygdala sensitivity.

CalmAmygdala

Update...

I used 4 mg cypro to successfully ween off Paxil... been about 6 weeks... so that’s good, feel better in a lot of areas...

the issue I’m having now is, I can’t get off the cypro without SEVERE serotonin rebound... HARSH... totally debilitating, can’t even perform my job...My plan is to do a very slow taper, 3.5 one week, then 3, etc.... .5 mg reduction per week.

Has anyone else experienced this phenomenon when getting off cyproheptadine after being on it for a while? I guess it makes sense, being a serotonin antagonist means it upregulates those receptors and increases their number, correct?

Surprised I’ve never seen anyone else write about this.

Hans, what are your thoughts and do you think I am approaching this the right way?

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Update...

I used 4 mg cypro to successfully ween off Paxil... been about 6 weeks... so that’s good, feel better in a lot of areas...

the issue I’m having now is, I can’t get off the cypro without SEVERE serotonin rebound... HARSH... totally debilitating, can’t even perform my job...My plan is to do a very slow taper, 3.5 one week, then 3, etc.... .5 mg reduction per week.

Has anyone else experienced this phenomenon when getting off cyproheptadine after being on it for a while? I guess it makes sense, being a serotonin antagonist means it upregulates those receptors and increases their number, correct?

Surprised I’ve never seen anyone else write about this.

Hans, what are your thoughts and do you think I am approaching this the right way?
If the underlying metabolism is still suboptimal, then there will be a rebound for sure. It's like people that are metabolically unhealthy when they quit caffeine. They get lots of withdrawals, but if someone healthy quits caffeine, then there are no side effects at all.

Serotonin and its receptors are dysregulated for a reason. Increasing brain energy production can often solve a lot of health conditions. That's why magnesium, methylene blue, CoQ10, vitamin B1, etc., have potent anti-depressant effects.
Are your temps optimal?

CalmAmygdala

My personal guess is my serotonin system is in disarray right now due in large part to being on 40 mg of paxil for ten years and tapering off. its been 6 weeks, but ive read online it can take up to 3-9 months for the brain to normalize after discontinuing SSRIs. Ive also read that the SSRi discontinuation syndrome is due to excess serotonin... is that accurate? If so, it makes sense and might explain why I'm having this issue... however i have read others report a huge rebound of serotonin/cortisol after stopping cypro, mostly on this forum.

I take magnesium daily, the others you mentioned all give me anxiety actually, especially B1 and CoQ10. meth blue does too even at 400 mcg doses like in oxidal.
I dont think my temps are optimal, when i get them checked when i go into work for covid reasons its usuallyh 35-36 celsisu although im not sure how accurate those things are. youre thiinking there may be a thyroid issue?

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
My personal guess is my serotonin system is in disarray right now due in large part to being on 40 mg of paxil for ten years and tapering off. its been 6 weeks, but ive read online it can take up to 3-9 months for the brain to normalize after discontinuing SSRIs. Ive also read that the SSRi discontinuation syndrome is due to excess serotonin... is that accurate? If so, it makes sense and might explain why I'm having this issue... however i have read others report a huge rebound of serotonin/cortisol after stopping cypro, mostly on this forum.

I take magnesium daily, the others you mentioned all give me anxiety actually, especially B1 and CoQ10. meth blue does too even at 400 mcg doses like in oxidal.
I dont think my temps are optimal, when i get them checked when i go into work for covid reasons its usuallyh 35-36 celsisu although im not sure how accurate those things are. youre thiinking there may be a thyroid issue?
If temps are not optimal, then neurotransmitters are likely not optimal as well. Thyroid promotes energy production, which affects neurotransmitter release as well as how the cell responds to the neurotransmitter. All kinds of mental issues happen due to low thyroid. I'm not saying it only due to thyroid, but thyroid definitely plays a role and it would be good to start there.

You could always try tianeptine, which is a serotonin reuptake enhancer. So then there will be less serotonin hanging around to cause serotonin syndrome.

CalmAmygdala

Very interesting idea. That (tianeptine) might be something I could use to help jump off of cypro to avoid the massive rebound. I've been looking at other compounds to reduce serotonin but it seems like most of them are simply antagonists like cypro at one receptor or another. I've considered diamant as a possible compound as well, but am wary of the D2 agonism, since i experienced DAWS like symptoms when stopping metergoline.

I have T3 on deck and may add that to things, along with tianeptine. Thanks as always for your valuable insight.

One last question - are there any other compounds you know of that reduce serotonin without being direct serotonin antagonists and that might be useful to assist the cypro taper?

Andman

Very interesting idea. That (tianeptine) might be something I could use to help jump off of cypro to avoid the massive rebound. I've been looking at other compounds to reduce serotonin but it seems like most of them are simply antagonists like cypro at one receptor or another. I've considered diamant as a possible compound as well, but am wary of the D2 agonism, since i experienced DAWS like symptoms when stopping metergoline.

I have T3 on deck and may add that to things, along with tianeptine. Thanks as always for your valuable insight.

One last question - are there any other compounds you know of that reduce serotonin without being direct serotonin antagonists and that might be useful to assist the cypro taper?
Take it from a former opiate addict, i would STRONGLY advise against tianeptine esp given your history with SSRI, metergoline, cypro

concenring your last question, theanine, aspirin, salt and the other suggestions youve been given already would fit that description - have you tried those?

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Aspirin, vitamin B1, magnesium, zinc, quinine (Haidut is bringing out a new product containing it for that purpose), quinones in general, vitamin B2 (as a cofactor for MAO), calcium, etc. Too much of the active form of vitamin D is very serotonergic.
Improving glucose oxidation with thyroid, aspirin, B1, magnesium and pyrucet should help a lot against excess serotonin. If you have gut issues, then that should also be a major focus.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Take it from a former opiate addict, i would STRONGLY advise against tianeptine esp given your history with SSRI, metergoline, cypro
Why is that? 100mg is where it becomes habit-forming, so if you stick to 50mg or so per day, then it shouldn't get addictive at all.

Andman

Why is that? 100mg is where it becomes habit-forming, so if you stick to 50mg or so per day, then it shouldn't get addictive at all.
thats a very big if
esp if already in a suboptimal state

CalmAmygdala

I cut from 3.5 to 3 today and am getting the symptoms... difficulty thinking, speaking, confused.... those are the main symptoms that come up initially, along with fatigue/lethargy/depression.... i took some theanine and 160 mg aspirin and will see how things go....i also stopped my vitamin D today.... tianeptine sulfate is in the mail (ive read its the sodium version that has the real addictive potential).....

Ive had difficulties taking aspirin with cypro in the past because it seems to tank my cortisol and i get low cortisol issues... hoping i can take a smaller dose of aspirin and get the serotonin lowering benefits without shooting cortisol too low...

I'll see if the theanine/aspirin makes a difference... im hoping im diagnosing the problem correctly and it is indeed excess serotonin... ill keep everyone posted

Wish there was something that lowered serotonin substantially that didnt affect cortisol

Last edited:

CalmAmygdala

Update: Experiencing major restless legs type symptoms. I know this is dopamine related, but could this also be a symptom of high serotonin snuffing out dopamine? I am taking a very aggressive dopamine stack at the moment in an effort to help my dopamine system stay functioning while i am dealing with this excess serotonin and varioius serotonin related issues due to paxil, meter, and cypro.

Stack is uridine, 9mbc, forskolin, inositol, DHA, 7,8 DHF

took some thyroid and i do feel warmer at times.... feeling completely depressed and lifeless, hopeless. Hoping I can figure out what the hell is wrong with my brain and its not permanently ****88 up

Theanine/aspirin seemed to eliminate the extreme brain fog that made it hard to form a thought or even articulate... so that tells me that high serotonin is most likely what is going on... at least one thing going on that is,

Thanks to Hans and others for support/advice during this absolutely brutal experience

Also, other symptoms beyond the restless legs - brain fog (although my nootropic dopaminergic stack is counteracting it pretty well), headache, sore body, achey all over, tired, depressed, feels like my head is in a bubble or being squeezed, libido/**** murdered... is this high serotonin im describing?

Last edited:
OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Update: Experiencing major restless legs type symptoms. I know this is dopamine related, but could this also be a symptom of high serotonin snuffing out dopamine? I am taking a very aggressive dopamine stack at the moment in an effort to help my dopamine system stay functioning while i am dealing with this excess serotonin and varioius serotonin related issues due to paxil, meter, and cypro.

Stack is uridine, 9mbc, forskolin, inositol, DHA, 7,8 DHF

took some thyroid and i do feel warmer at times.... feeling completely depressed and lifeless, hopeless. Hoping I can figure out what the hell is wrong with my brain and its not permanently ****88 up

Theanine/aspirin seemed to eliminate the extreme brain fog that made it hard to form a thought or even articulate... so that tells me that high serotonin is most likely what is going on... at least one thing going on that is,

Thanks to Hans and others for support/advice during this absolutely brutal experience

Also, other symptoms beyond the restless legs - brain fog (although my nootropic dopaminergic stack is counteracting it pretty well), headache, sore body, achey all over, tired, depressed, feels like my head is in a bubble or being squeezed, libido/**** murdered... is this high serotonin im describing?
How much thyroid and aspirin are you taking? Are you taking B1 as well? Perhaps you're also creating too much lactate, which is what serotonin can do. So lowering lactate with aspirin, B1 and pyrucet might help.

CalmAmygdala

16 mcg T3, around 500 mg aspirin. Not taking B1 but will take some to see if that helps

other symptoms i am experiencing: nausea/total lack of appetite, diarrhea. ETH difficult to force food down

Last edited:

Andman

16 mcg T3, around 500 mg aspirin. Not taking B1 but will take some to see if that helps

other symptoms i am experiencing: nausea/total lack of appetite, diarrhea. ETH difficult to force food down
its been a few days, how are you doing so far bro?

hope youre not fooling around with tianeptine or the like

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals