10 PSSD Recovery Tips And Tricks (herbs, Drugs And Strategies)

BearWithMe

The worst antidepressant is also the most widely used.

Loved the article. Thank you Hans!

Mobius 1

Hey @Hans, do you think the ZE-117 extract of Saint John's Wort would be good for some PFS side effects? I'm mostly concerned about mental side effects, like libido/mild anhedonia/motivation/brain fog. I'm aware that SJW can lower libido, but is the ZE-117 somewhat different in this regard?

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Hey @Hans, do you think the ZE-117 extract of Saint John's Wort would be good for some PFS side effects? I'm mostly concerned about mental side effects, like libido/mild anhedonia/motivation/brain fog. I'm aware that SJW can lower libido, but is the ZE-117 somewhat different in this regard?
I think all the SJW extract could potentially cause issues in susceptible people, but the low hyperforin extract might have the least. So it's something you can try out. Or you can try more dopaminergic dominant herbs, such as saffron, Chai Hu Long Gu Mu Li Wan, etc, if you're looking for a libido boost and improvement in libido.

CalmAmygdala

Great article. I've read almost all your articles in fact. I wanted tgo ask your opinion on something: how would you suggest i ween off of 40 mg paroxetine? I've been on it for 10 years but want to be free. I have pretty much every compound idealabs makes. Cypro and metergolione both have given me huge improvements in mood, energy, anxiety, etc. despite continuing to take paroxetine. Could they theoretically help ease paroxetine withdrawals? Thanks in advance

@Hans

Last edited:
OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Great article. I've read almost all your articles in fact. I wanted tgo ask your opinion on something: how would you suggest i ween off of 40 mg paroxetine? I've been on it for 10 years but want to be free. I have pretty much every compound idealabs makes. Cypro and metergolione both have given me huge improvements in mood, energy, anxiety, etc. despite continuing to take paroxetine. Could they theoretically help ease paroxetine withdrawals? Thanks in advance

@Hans
Thanks for reading! Yeah, if you feel good with the cypro and metergoline, then it would be much easier to taper off of the paroxetine. Perhaps reduce it by 5mg per week or something like that. Just focus on lifestyle strategies (walking, sunlight, grounding, sleeping, etc.) and dietary guidelines (protein, carbs, salt, etc.) to keep stress at bay while boosting dopamine and metabolism.

Jayvee

I experienced a temporary (110%) recovery from PFS from low dosing St. John’s wort in tea form. I got scared of St Johns Wort and just slowly tapered off it.

I want to learn more about this ZE-117. I wonder if lower doses might help kick start the relevant nuerosteroids... it also seems to stimulate CYP3A4 and I read it was one of the only known substances to oppose/interfere with Finasteride but it didn’t really explain why.

I wonder if Cypro and ZE-117 would work on alternating days or every few days in small doses?

massive fan of your newsletter @Hans I’ve been telling a few people recently to sign up (mostly pfs guys). Keep up the good work with it!

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
I experienced a temporary (110%) recovery from PFS from low dosing St. John’s wort in tea form. I got scared of St Johns Wort and just slowly tapered off it.

I want to learn more about this ZE-117. I wonder if lower doses might help kick start the relevant nuerosteroids... it also seems to stimulate CYP3A4 and I read it was one of the only known substances to oppose/interfere with Finasteride but it didn’t really explain why.

I wonder if Cypro and ZE-117 would work on alternating days or every few days in small doses?

massive fan of your newsletter @Hans I’ve been telling a few people recently to sign up (mostly pfs guys). Keep up the good work with it!
Interesting, thanks for sharing. Perhaps it's a good idea to continue using the tea since you got benefits from it. Lower doses are preferred to larger doses. ZE-117 is definitely interesting, but it seems everyone responds differently to different extracts. I've talked to a few guys, some of which got slight results from ZE-117, whereas others didn't feel a thing. So it's important to stick to what works for you.

Also, really glad you like my newsletter and are telling others about it. Much obliged. :)

CalmAmygdala

Thanks for reading! Yeah, if you feel good with the cypro and metergoline, then it would be much easier to taper off of the paroxetine. Perhaps reduce it by 5mg per week or something like that. Just focus on lifestyle strategies (walking, sunlight, grounding, sleeping, etc.) and dietary guidelines (protein, carbs, salt, etc.) to keep stress at bay while boosting dopamine and metabolism.
How would you recommend dosing the cypro or meter to help come off paxil? Also, would you mind explaining a little of the pharmacology behind whycypro/meter wsould help SSRI withdrawal?

Lokzo

Forum Supporter
Hey brother,

I have sampled 6 different types of SJW extracts on the market, and only the Ze 117 somehow has a positive effect on PSSD.

The other ones actually made me feel WORSE.

I made a thread on it here:

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
How would you recommend dosing the cypro or meter to help come off paxil? Also, would you mind explaining a little of the pharmacology behind whycypro/meter wsould help SSRI withdrawal?
Start with the lowest dose cypro or metergoline and see how you feel. Tether up until you start feeling better. Then reduce the SSRI dose slightly and see how you feel. If you don't start to feel worse after about a week or so, reduce the SSRI even more.
So over time as you increase the cypro or meter, lower the SSRI until your off of it.
Serotonin downregulates certain serotonin receptors and upregulates others. So a serotonin antagonist will prevent excess activation of certain serotonin receptors. Plus, serotonin doesn't make you feel good, it only makes you feel numb. Dopamine makes you feel good, so that's why meter can be useful.
If 5-HT1A is downregulated by SSRI drugs, then baseline serotonin will be elevated and that's another reason why a serotonin antagonist can be useful.

Jayvee

Start with the lowest dose cypro or metergoline and see how you feel. Tether up until you start feeling better. Then reduce the SSRI dose slightly and see how you feel. If you don't start to feel worse after about a week or so, reduce the SSRI even more.
So over time as you increase the cypro or meter, lower the SSRI until your off of it.
Serotonin downregulates certain serotonin receptors and upregulates others. So a serotonin antagonist will prevent excess activation of certain serotonin receptors. Plus, serotonin doesn't make you feel good, it only makes you feel numb. Dopamine makes you feel good, so that's why meter can be useful.
If 5-HT1A is downregulated by SSRI drugs, then baseline serotonin will be elevated and that's another reason why a serotonin antagonist can be useful.

Hi Hans, What would be a good dose to test start on with metergoline? I still haven’t dare take this properly because I’m not sure how to take it or how much... Any ideas? I tried one drop on my wrist before and couldn’t feel anything noticeable.

CalmAmygdala

Great answer, thank you. You say serotonin has a dual action on serotonin receptors. Downregulation and upregulation. I'm assuming it downregulates the ones i dont want downregulated and upregulates the ones i dont want upregulated. Would a serotonin antagonist oppose those actions?

Btw, I'm on 2.5 mg metergoline a day and have reduced paroxetine from 40 to 30. First few days, a few hours after dosing id feel a massive accentuation of serotonin withdrawal (fatigue, brain zaps, depression). I started dosing the meter at night before bed and it has taken care of the issue. Ill keep everyone posted if anyone cares

Jayvee

Great answer, thank you. You say serotonin has a dual action on serotonin receptors. Downregulation and upregulation. I'm assuming it downregulates the ones i dont want downregulated and upregulates the ones i dont want upregulated. Would a serotonin antagonist oppose those actions?

Btw, I'm on 2.5 mg metergoline a day and have reduced paroxetine from 40 to 30. First few days, a few hours after dosing id feel a massive accentuation of serotonin withdrawal (fatigue, brain zaps, depression). I started dosing the meter at night before bed and it has taken care of the issue. Ill keep everyone posted if anyone cares

Thanks @CalmAmygdala Has the Metergoline affected your sleep at all? I thought I felt tiredness when I took it, I would of thought with it being dopamine inducing it would negatively affect sleep?

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Hi Hans, What would be a good dose to test start on with metergoline? I still haven’t dare take this properly because I’m not sure how to take it or how much... Any ideas? I tried one drop on my wrist before and couldn’t feel anything noticeable.
Oral absorption of meter is very good, apparently as good as IV (R). So perhaps you can try oral dosing instead. I'd start with the smallest dose and see how I feel. If nothing much, then up the dose by another drop.

Jayvee

Oral absorption of meter is very good, apparently as good as IV (R). So perhaps you can try oral dosing instead. I'd start with the smallest dose and see how I feel. If nothing much, then up the dose by another drop.

Thanks Hans! I’ll give it a try and see.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter

A serotonin antagonist can antagonize those actions yes, but it's mostly stress, which increases serotonin (and serotonin increases stress in a vicious cycle) that upregulates 5-HT2 expression. So anything that blocks stress, such as aspirin or magnesium, can help to prevent the stress-induced increase in 5-HT2 or decrease in 5-HT1A.