1-year On Ray Peat/Pro-metabolic Diet With Some Bad Results

nikolabeacon

No offense and don't mean to be disrepectful but didn't Eck pass away in his early 70s ? Might be high dose of zinc which is a strong CA upregulator
a.if he said something. About calcium....that doesnt mean that he done everything right....if you want to look like that then i ask you how my granpa is healthy and he lived on mostly potatoes anc bread with maybe one or two ounces of cheese a day.and few eggs and meat and some cooked greens..he is not the only one in that region who has perfect health in his 80 's..there are hudreds of examples i..and all those people are very lean( from fattening starch probably) ...and very healthy despite hard physical work during life.....so ...

.and those studies and evidences that peat said showed this and that are "unscientiffic" in my opinion...and are wrong....and you csn find millions ov examples that are opposite of it.....and when there are studies which show opposite he explains it...well thag propaganda and false info and etc...funny autistic behaviour.

HLP

Ditch the MBlue for a while. It really messed with my sleep. Carrot for digestion daily? More dairy? Thyroid glandular helped me stay asleep all night. I fall asleep easily and stay asleep all night just about every night.

OP
encerent

encerent

Ditch the MBlue for a while. It really messed with my sleep. Carrot for digestion daily? More dairy? Thyroid glandular helped me stay asleep all night. I fall asleep easily and stay asleep all night just about every night.

Thank you. Gonna drop MB and see. I wish I could do dairy. Maybe I'll seek out A2 milk, because regular milk gives me all the bad digestive symptoms.

Wagner83

Thank you. Gonna drop MB and see. I wish I could do dairy. Maybe I'll seek out A2 milk, because regular milk gives me all the bad digestive symptoms.
Did you try goat milk? With added salt it tastes ok and do not seem to give the same issues as cow's milk.
1gr calcium is more than enough in normal circumstances, let me emphasize MORE THAN ENOUGH. Trying to compensate low magnesium intake and low 25(OH)D levels (<50ng/mL) with extra calcium looks a very bad idea to me, the same way as happens with excess iron.

Sugar is not a big deal used ocassionally but its empty crap as food source since you can use hooney of mapple syrup to sweeten up things. Caffeine is no problem neither from time to time, as long as it won't create you daily dependence.

What's wrong with cheese?? Its a great food, while it won't be made from homogenized milk.
You said excess saturated fats are an issue but who said you should live on saturated fats? Ray has clearly gave his ideas on a ketogenic diet, otherwise I don't see much wrong with some coconut oil and fatty cheese as regular foods (and therefore source of fats). Then what is excess has to be defined .
As for sugar Ray has said he only considered it as a therapeutic tool (e.g. acute stress) , otherwise he picks sugar from foods everytime, and everyone is encouraged to do so.
Afaik coffee (so not just caffeine) has a lot of positive feedback and studies behind it, even with daily consumption of it.
Is there an issue with homogenized milk then? I never heard of that so I'm curious!

From Paul Eck,

One of the most important functions of calcium is not the creation of
bone tissue. It is the regulation of metabolism. Calcium tends to slow
down the metabolic rate. It is part of the body’s natural ‘braking’
system.
It is no coincidence that newborns, who have an extremely high
rate of metabolism – have relatively low calcium levels. As we age,
the body begins to apply the calcium ‘brake’. Tissue calcium levels
rise higher and higher and the metabolism slows down.
Calcium lines the cell membrane. A low level of tissue calcium
allows the membrane to be more permeable – thus increasing the
speed of metabolism. A high level of tissue calcium reduces the
permeability of the cell membrane, thus slowing down the metabolic
rate.
Calcium is one of the most misunderstood nutrients. The
unfortunate truth is that most individuals do not have a true calcium
deficiency. What they have is an inability to utilize the excess
calcium that is already in their tissues
To consume calcium that you do not need is to accelerate your
decline into slow metabolism – and into old age.

Ok so Paul Eyck said this and Ray Peat said the something different, it's ok if you decide to believe Eyck but I dn't have any particular reason to pick him over Ray, besides no one is recommending a deficiency of magnesium and vit d3, Ray suggested to pay attention to those many times.

@encerent ..Do you experience any hair issues..im asking r/t the high prolactin and cortisol? thanks
I seem to get more hair shedding and sebum production (and maybe worse skin health) from organic skimmed milk, pretty sure goat milk is a different story but I have to give it a fair try.

Last edited:

nikolabeacon

Did you try goat milk? With added salt it tastes ok and do not seem to give the same issues as cow's milk.

You said excess saturated fats are an issue but who said you should live on saturated fats? Ray has clearly gave his ideas on a ketogenic diet, otherwise I don't see much wrong with some coconut oil and fatty cheese as regular foods (and therefore source of fats). Then what is excess has to be defined .
As for sugar Ray has said he only considered it as a therapeutic tool (e.g. acute stress) , otherwise he picks sugar from foods everytime, and everyone is encouraged to do so.
Afaik coffee (so not just caffeine) has a lot of positive feedback and studies behind it, even with daily consumption of it.
Is there an issue with homogenized milk then? I never heard of that so I'm curious!

Ok so Paul Eyck said this and Ray Peat said the something different, it's ok if you decide to believe Eyck but I dn't have any particular reason to pick him over Ray, besides no one is recommending a deficiency of magnesium and vit d3, Ray suggested to pay attention to those many times.

I seem to get more hair shedding and sebum production (and maybe worse skin health) from organic skimmed milk, pretty sure goat milk is a different story but I have to give it a fair try.
I explained very well why milk is bad, and sugar of course..and caffeine.....you have problems with skin because of that....i know that because idrank supreme quality milk ( both, cow and goat) from my countryside and from supermarket and several european quality brands which are terrible compared to our milk....and there is no difference...

And eah he talked about mg but in a wrong way....with such amounts of Ca you will never have enoughb mg....mechanisms that peat explained about Ca ,phosphorus, mg, are wrong

And yeah as i explained here everything about that notion why people "chose Peat over someone else".Tyw. Said Something That Makes Alot Of Sense! that part " chose" because yeah many people are falling for well versed autistic revolutionary "artist, scientist" :D ...he haw skme speciall explanation that noone slse saw :D.....study him more carefully.....

Wagner83

I explained very well why milk is bad, and sugar of course..and caffeine.....you have problems with skin because of that....i know that because idrank supreme quality milk ( both, cow and goat) from my countryside and from supermarket and several european quality brands which are terrible compared to our milk....and there is no difference...

And eah he talked about mg but in a wrong way....with such amounts of Ca you will never have enoughb mg....mechanisms that peat explained about Ca ,phosphorus, mg, are wrong

And yeah as i explained here everything about that notion why people "chose Peat over someone else".Tyw. Said Something That Makes Alot Of Sense! that part " chose" because yeah many people are falling for well versed autistic revolutionary "artist, scientist" :D ...he haw skme speciall explanation that noone slse saw :D.....study him more carefully.....

Thanks for the link.
I don't seem to get problems from coffee (at all) or even sugary treats or sugar from fruits juices.

I don't think that's the reason people chose Peat, at least I know I got interested in his research because of how he views digestion and digestive tract health and foods as a key to physical and mental health. He's not the only to see the function of the human body as a whole but compared to modern medicine and doctors, it is night and day.

Wagner83

And no wonder then that you need to take thyroid, progesterone, Zinc, Magnesium, Selenium, vit K2,D...and no wonde that starch will make you "sick"....because you supressed your thyroid and thus destroyed digestion....
You do not adress the issue of most who are looking to change their diets and search such forums as this one: digestion , energy and mood levels are already ****88 up well before potentially trying any Peatish diet, otherwise nobody would bother with the research in the first place. Potatoes give me stomach ache and even itchy scalp, rice makes me constipated as fook, wheat is tolerated much better but will, for example, give me sinus problems over time. I'm even wondering if in my case wheat, since it could very well be affecting sinuses, is not one of the cause of "exercise induced asthma" .

DavidGardner

Doesn't 40 mg pregnenolone daily seem really high for a 25 y/o? Maybe at this dosage some of it is converting to cortisol. Personally, I would be unbearably horny on 40 mg, and I'm 29.

duckfoot

hi encerent, it could be a food quality issue. ive read that potatoes are sprayed with roundup an extra time before harvest as a dessicating agent. im not sure if youre already going with organic potatoes, but that could be a better option. source: Crops Are Drenched with Roundup Pesticide Right Before Harvest

ive also read that rice could be high in arsenic depending on where it's grown. texas rice, i think, tends to be pretty high in arsenic

another thing that might help:
1. Because of their glycemia, starches tend to cause blood sugar dysregulation compared to fructose and sugar (sucrose), promoting the effects of adrenaline, cortisol, stored PUFA, endotoxin, and estrogen.

“If you take orange juice with some fat it will be more stabilizing to your blood sugar than the grits and potatoes. Starches increase the stress hormones, interfering with progesterone and thyroid.”
source: Ray Peat, PhD – Concerns with Starches – Functional Performance Systems (FPS)

that could explain the high cortisol, and then the prolactin.

i saw someone mention youre a bodybuilder. i imagine it's possible you were trying to incorporate more potato protein. when you described your diet, you listed potatoes and rice first. was this a subconscious hint that your diet is pretty starch heavy? that what you think of first is what you choose to eat first, and what you eat most of

Luann

"It is no coincidence that newborns, who have an extremely high
rate of metabolism – have relatively low calcium levels. As we age,
the body begins to apply the calcium ‘brake’. Tissue calcium levels
rise higher and higher and the metabolism slows down."

Believe the calcium level rising in tissue is caused, not by calcium intake, but by PUFA blocking it in the cell.

Waynish

Why are you lifting 2-3x a week if you can't sleep at all? Are you inspired to lift? Have you gone off all supps and eat what you crave/feel like for a week and see what happens?

Dave Clark

I am new to the forum, but can someone explain to me why a member would think that Ray Peat's diet, or ideas are crap, yet still be on this forum? This is the "Ray Peat" forum, isn't it? I ask this at the risk of being chastised, and I am sure others have asked the same, but I cannot seem to wrap my head around this. If I didn't believe in someone's philosophy, I sure wouldn't frequent their forum. Am I missing something?

Peatful

I am new to the forum, but can someone explain to me why a member would think that Ray Peat's diet, or ideas are crap, yet still be on this forum? This is the "Ray Peat" forum, isn't it? I ask this at the risk of being chastised, and I am sure others have asked the same, but I cannot seem to wrap my head around this. If I didn't believe in someone's philosophy, I sure wouldn't frequent their forum. Am I missing something?
People get confused. They think there is a formula...or a diet...or what have u. Not saying this is true for the OP.
But we all get out of balance sometimes with self experimentation. Luckily, posters on this forum are gracious and most aren't too dogmatic. I see it as a safe place to doubt and ask questions.
To me, that's what makes it a great resource.

Jarman

Think of it as leaving bad reviews on amazon or yelp or facebook :) Unsatisfied costumers usually leave bad reviews to get their voices heard, they don't just walk away and disappear. I actually prefer it that way :) If all reviews are 4 or 5 stars I'd be really wary if they're fake or paid. It creates a healthy discussion of the product, what things to improve, tweak or proper usage.

cyclops

Nikola beacon, I was interested in your posts because you go against Peat and say something new and different. You seem so sure of yourself. But in more recent posts it seems you are drinking milk and eating sugar again. Why do you talk like you know things for certain and then change your mind? Why do you talk negative about Peat, when he is so much smarter then you? You talk like you know something as fact, but you are still experimenting.