1 Year Low Carb Intervention Cured 60% Of Patients From Diabetes

Cirion

The low PUFA sentiment really seems to clash with my own personal experience. For about a month I went really low PUFA but started to get worse and worse. Horrible sleep, zero libido, no motivation or energy, so I started bringing dietary fat back up and with it PUFA (don't get me wrong, I still avoid nut/veggie oils, fatty fish etc...) and almost overnight my libido has started to come back. I think depending on someones' current state of health, some fat (and thereby PUFA) is simply necessary at least for a time, and it seems to be true for me. I still believe Peat overall on PUFA, but I think one should take care before jumping into a low to zero PUFA diet.

OP
R

rei

Why do you conclude it was PUFA that helped and not the increase in saturated and MUFA?

TeaRex14

The low PUFA sentiment really seems to clash with my own personal experience. For about a month I went really low PUFA but started to get worse and worse. Horrible sleep, zero libido, no motivation or energy, so I started bringing dietary fat back up and with it PUFA (don't get me wrong, I still avoid nut/veggie oils, fatty fish etc...) and almost overnight my libido has started to come back. I think depending on someones' current state of health, some fat (and thereby PUFA) is simply necessary at least for a time, and it seems to be true for me. I still believe Peat overall on PUFA, but I think one should take care before jumping into a low to zero PUFA diet.
PUFA gets detoxed faster when dietary fat is heavily restricted. That's not necessarily a good thing when you have lots of it to get rid of, it can cause some of those nasty side effects when liberated into the blood. The only way around this is to either dilute by eating more saturated fat, and/or taking a vitamin E supplement. This is the only reason why I don't go super low fat. I need about 15% of my calories to be fat, about 1/2 tbsp of coconut oil with every meal prevents adverse reactions for me.

Cirion

Why do you conclude it was PUFA that helped and not the increase in saturated and MUFA?

Maybe what I wrote was worded wrong. I'm not going out of my way to increase PUFA. I still avoid nuts, vegetable oils, fatty fish, and usually eggs too. I meant overall fat increased, which incidentally also increased PUFA, but I do try to still be mindful of PUFA intake since it does matter.

Last edited:

Cirion

PUFA gets detoxed faster when dietary fat is heavily restricted. That's not necessarily a good thing when you have lots of it to get rid of, it can cause some of those nasty side effects when liberated into the blood. The only way around this is to either dilute by eating more saturated fat, and/or taking a vitamin E supplement. This is the only reason why I don't go super low fat. I need about 15% of my calories to be fat, about 1/2 tbsp of coconut oil with every meal prevents adverse reactions for me.

Yeah this sounds right. But even still, I now think MUFA is just as important as SFA. Even when I would have 100-150 gram of fat from coconut oil and MCT oil I just wouldn't feel right. I think MUFA should be at least half the intake of SFA, if not more. The order of priority is probably still SFA>MUFA>PUFA but I don't think MUFA should be zero. Not in my experience.

TeaRex14

Yeah this sounds right. But even still, I now think MUFA is just as important as SFA. Even when I would have 100-150 gram of fat from coconut oil and MCT oil I just wouldn't feel right. I think MUFA should be at least half the intake of SFA, if not more. The order of priority is probably still SFA>MUFA>PUFA but I don't think MUFA should be zero. Not in my experience.
Yeah possibly, oleic acid stores in adipose tissue really easily. So the MUFA might be diluting the PUFA as well. Also, it may be different types of saturated fat are better for you. The long chain fats in butter, cacao, and tallow have certain advantages over the medium chain fats in coconut oil. So it's probably well worth experimenting with different fats to see what has the best results. Something like tallow, is rich in both long chain SFAs and MUFA, as well as CLA, which is also beneficial. Macadamia nuts/oil is really rich in MUFA, and much lower in PUFA than olive oil.

Cirion

Really IMO variety is the spice of life as they say. MCTs, LCT's, MUFA, etc.... I don't think we're meant to have one at the exclusion of the other. With PUFA being the only fat that we really don't need.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals