1 Liter Of Cow Milk At Once in the morning Ok ? hypercalcemia ?

Apple

Is it ok to drink 1 liter of cow milk at once ?
I tolerate milk better when I keep 5-6 hours from other foods. And because I want to have normal lunch and dinner with other people I can swallow my milk portion in the morning for breakfast and by lunch it is already digested and I feel hungry again .
Is there any danger of hypercalcemia from drinking 1L at once every day? (regular %1 fortified milk)

Last edited:
Is it ok to drink 1 liter of cow milk at once ?
I tolerate milk better when I keep 5-6 hours from other foods. And because I want to have normal lunch and dinner with other people I can swallow my milk portion in the morning for breakfast and by lunch it is already digested and I feel hungry again .
Is there any danger of hypercalcemia from drinking 1L at once every day? (regular %1 fortified milk)
Are you talking about drinking all of it in a short amount of time? Guzzling even that much water in a short amount of time is a lot for the kidneys to process, especially on a regular basis.

I would also be concerned that your body could not process that much calcium all at once either.

Last edited:
OP
Apple

Apple

I would also be concerned that your body could no process that much calcium all at once either.
Yeah, I was surprised to see some members of the forum drink 1L at a certain time which raises questions. I think we should ask Ray Peat what maxim and recommended dose is.
It maybe useless/not economical/wasteful to drink too much milk in a short interval of time.
On the other hand milk is a food and surely fattier milk would be getting digested slowly and maybe safer in this regard. Being a completed food 1L full fat shouldn't be a big deal for an adult.
I imagine people living on a farm gulp a liter of freshly drawn milk at once every morning with no issues.

Let your body's internal feedback system guide how much fluid you consume at once by guzzling a beverage until a threshold is reached.

This might be a personal lesson, but what I've learned is that anytime I've forced myself to drink more of something than what originally quenched my thirst on the first go-around, to that end it will slow digestion down.

A simple example of this is drinking water.

Just before I go to bed at night, I might consume 1 cup... whereas if I just jumped out of a 30 minute sauna session, it'll be more like 2.5-3 cups at once. I'll spend virtually the same amount of time gulping, but the wisdom of my body will change how wide my throat opens, thereby changing the overall quantity of fluid that's ingested.

Just don't force yourself to drink more of something because someone insists that more is better.

Yeah, I was surprised to see some members of the forum drink 1L at a certain time which raises questions. I think we should ask Ray Peat what maxim and recommended dose is.
It maybe useless/not economical/wasteful to drink too much milk in a short interval of time.
On the other hand milk is a food and surely fattier milk would be getting digested slowly and maybe safer in this regard. Being a completed food 1L full fat shouldn't be a big deal for an adult.
I imagine people living on a farm gulp a liter of freshly drawn milk at once every morning with no issues.

Attachments

• 20210608_120141.jpg
    20210608_120141.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 116
I just think since food pairing is so beneficial, especiall with things like phosphorus and magnesium foods, that wasting all your calcium in one shot doesn't seem optimal. If you were doing a milk fast that would be a different story, but forcing it down in one shot would seem hard on the system.

schultz

What does "at once" mean?

I drink quite a few lattes during the day. I usually have 2 or 3 within 2 hours of waking up. That's 1.5 litres. I don't see a problem with drinking a litre of milk in a 15 minute window or so, as long as you enjoy it. If you're just doing it because you feel like you should then it might not be as good.

What does "at once" mean?

I drink quite a few lattes during the day. I usually have 2 or 3 within 2 hours of waking up. That's 1.5 litres. I don't see a problem with drinking a litre of milk in a 15 minute window or so, as long as you enjoy it. If you're just doing it because you feel like you should then it might not be as good.
I am with you Shultz, I can drink 4 cups of 1% milk in lattes in 2 or three hours too, but I do try to spread them out throughout the day to balance an egg, shrimp or other protein.

I mean I just pour warm milk into a big cup...drink it with small or average sips, 2-3 min and it is done.
Milk goes down quick in lattes, with sugar and coffee, but 20 years ago I would guzzle milk, two and three glasses within 10 or so minutes and I would inevitably throw up later. I think the coffee and sugar helps assimilate the milk easier.

OP
Apple

Apple

Just don't force yourself to drink more of something because someone insists that more is better.
Thanks for clarifying @Twohandsondeck,
I saw on one of your previous posts it said smth like that : 3pm - 1L milk
How long does it take for you to drink it up?

It is easy to deceive the body. I drank milk trough the straw today, in 30 sec a big cup of milk was over. if it were 1L cup, I'm sure I wouldn't even notice.

dukesbobby777

Everyone is different, but the last thing I feel like first thing in the morning is a quart of milk. I much prefer actually eating something and washing it down with coffee and juice. When I used to do the whole 2/3 ‘quarts of milk per day’ thing, that first quart in the morning would always result in an acute shock reaction for my body (feeling freezing cold from it). I think milk is a really difficult food for my body to handle (generally), but the afternoon seems to be the best time to handle a quart of it (if I chose to have that instead of something else). I agree that the fat in there would help slow it down and digest properly. Too much liquid at once increases prolactin, according to Peat.

Everyone is different, but the last thing I feel like first thing in the morning is a quart of milk. I much prefer actually eating something and washing it down with coffee and juice. When I used to do the whole 2/3 ‘quarts of milk per day’ thing, that first quart in the morning would always result in an acute shock reaction for my body (feeling freezing cold from it). I think milk is a really difficult food for my body to handle (generally), but the afternoon seems to be the best time to handle a quart of it (if I chose to have that instead of something else). I agree that the fat in there would help slow it down and digest properly. Too much liquid at once increases prolactin, according to Peat.
The same thing happens to me too, if I drink a lot of cold milk by itself in early day, before food, my torso feels cold for a long time after.

OP
Apple

Apple

I just think since food pairing is so beneficial, especiall with things like phosphorus and magnesium foods, that wasting all your calcium in one shot doesn't seem optimal. If you were doing a milk fast that would be a different story, but forcing it down in one shot would seem hard on the system.
Food pairing can be beneficial. Though it depends on the amount and what kind of food. I also find on some days I feel better when not mixing foods. When you have solid lunch with carbs and meat, there is not enough space left for milk.
And I can't afford sipping milk every 30 min at work , it distracts a lot. So morning time before work is an ideal milk time for me :)

dukesbobby777

The same thing happens to me too, if I drink a lot of cold milk by itself in early day, before food, my torso feels cold for a long time after.

Even though I enjoy chilled milk from the fridge occasionally, I think the temperature it’s stored at (perhaps) doesn’t help that situation. When I think to how milk is naturally taken by young calves from their mothers (milk not chilled). Although I don’t seem to have those similar issues from chilled juice, so maybe it is just milk as a food that’s a tricky one (I’ve tried all types over the years), and the reason I might tolerate a quart better in the afternoon is because digestive function (and thyroid) is usually optimal by then (unlike the morning).

Food pairing can be beneficial. Though it depends on the amount and what kind of food. I also find on some days I feel better when not mixing foods. When you have solid lunch with carbs and meat, there is not enough space left for milk.
And I can't afford sipping milk every 30 min at work , it distracts a lot. So morning time before work is an ideal milk time for me :)
I totally agree with that. I feel better not having A LOT of liquids with harder to digest foods, but sipping on my iced coffee while frying up a steak and sipping on it after feels great.

OP
Apple

Apple

I totally agree with that. I feel better not having A LOT of liquids with harder to digest foods, but sipping on my iced coffee while frying up a steak and sipping on it after feels great.
by just sipping with coffee there is no way to get 2 quarts of milk throughout the day...not to mention we need a quart of orange juice
And this is a case if we are bad eaters...Ray Peat has a gallon of milk

by just sipping with coffee there is no way to get 2 quarts of milk throughout the day...not to mention we need a quart of orange juice
And this is a case if we are bad eaters...Ray Peat has a gallon of milk
Well I agree there, but I am not trying to be "perfectly Peaty". I wish I could be content with a bunch of milk and orange juice, but I like shrimp and rib eye steaks too much and I am definetly not going to be eating them at night like Ray Peat cautions, that makes for terrible sleep.

I saw on one of your previous posts it said smth like that : 3pm - 1L milk
How long does it take for you to drink it up?
Usually about 15 minutes. It follows exercise + sauna sessions which I spend an average of 60-90 minutes on.

Certainly there is something to be said about drinking milk midday, away from other foods, and as a means of replenishing glycogen after depleting it.
that first quart in the morning would always result in an acute shock reaction for my body (feeling freezing cold from it).
Same here.

I forget who, but I once heard someone say that between the carb and calcium content of milk, that these two factors cause milk to increase metabolism. In my opinion, it would stand to reason that breaking an overnight fast with a liquid which increases metabolism would cause a stress response; not much different than black coffee first thing in the morning. Thinking about it now, the two endeavors have resulted in very similar outcomes... Immediate fatigue, lethargy, and cold extremities.

On a lateral note, perhaps using the ayurvedic technique of heating the milk with cinnamon, cardamom, and turmeric might help the digestibility factor.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals