1 in 10,000 people can't go into ketosis and survive a famine because of an MCAD enzyme deficiency

What this means is if there is a famine, if you attempt to do a water-only fast (has to be water-only because juice fasting keeps you out of ketosis), or you become ill and can't eat and you have an MCAD deficiency, once you've burned up all of your stored glycogen you'll start to vomit after about 3 days of no food and then die soon after because you can't turn your fat stores into energy.

"Medium-chain acyl-coenzyme A dehydrogenase (MCAD) is one of the enzymes involved in mitochondrial fatty acid β-oxidation, which fuels hepatic ketogenesis, a major source of energy once hepatic glycogen stores become depleted during prolonged fasting and periods of higher energy demands. In a typical clinical scenario, a previously healthy child with MCAD deficiency presents with hypoketotic hypoglycemia, vomiting, and lethargy triggered by a common illness. Seizures may occur. Hepatomegaly and liver disease are often present during an acute episode, which can quickly progress to coma and death. Children are normal at birth and – if not identified through newborn screening – typically present between ages three and 24 months; later presentation, even into adulthood, is possible. The prognosis is excellent once the diagnosis is established and frequent feedings are instituted to avoid any prolonged period of fasting."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK1424/

For anyone who did 23andme you can see if you have this. For me, "Variant Absent"! :D

Btw, I did 23andme before they got in trouble. I'm not sure but I may be grandfathered in. Those who joined after may not see health related data.

Parsifal

extremecheddar said:
post 109055 For anyone who did 23andme you can see if you have this. For me, "Variant Absent"! :D

Btw, I did 23andme before they got in trouble. I'm not sure but I may be grandfathered in. Those who joined after may not see health related data.
You can still get the raw data out of 23andme and put it on interpreter websites like "Livewello".

Last edited by a moderator:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals