1/2 Teaspoon Of Gym Chalk Completely Dissolved In Soda Water

AretnaP

I think this honestly may be a legitimate form of magnesium bicarbonate supplementation.

Crushed 1/2 teaspoon in pill crusher and added maybe 10 or so ounces of soda water with citric acid in it and after shaking it up a bit and letting it sit it turned completely clear.

1/2 teaspoon is about 1,400 mgs mag carbonate which is a little less than 700 mgs elemental magnesium since mag carbonate is about 45% or so elemental magnesium.

I may be messing up I don't know.

@haidut @Travis

OP
AretnaP

AretnaP

I don't see why it would be food-grade.
A lot of supplements also aren't quite "food-grade".

I want @haidut to come in here and tell us if it would be better to:
A:Buy actual mag carbonate from bulk powders.

B:Stick with gym chalk because it's basically the same and save our money.

Mossy

Well, at least you'll be able to grab the bar better after drinking it. o_O

Kidding, of course. I could just chime in with the thought you've already suggested: that processing something as non food-grade would seem to allow them the liberty of having the chalk touch all kinds of things that you wouldn't want to consume.

My :2cents:. But, I'll defer to the Jedi masters.

Glassy

I think this honestly may be a legitimate form of magnesium bicarbonate supplementation.

Crushed 1/2 teaspoon in pill crusher and added maybe 10 or so ounces of soda water with citric acid in it and after shaking it up a bit and letting it sit it turned completely clear.

1/2 teaspoon is about 1,400 mgs mag carbonate which is a little less than 700 mgs elemental magnesium since mag carbonate is about 45% or so elemental magnesium.

I may be messing up I don't know.

@haidut @Travis

The citric acid will react with the mag carbonate to form magnesium citrate, water and CO2. The amount of magnesium carbonate that was left after that reaction would determine how much magnesium bicarbonate was produced. If you mix your magnesium carbonate into sofa water and cap it to maintain pressure, you may find that it reacts with the water and CO2 to form magnesium bicarbonate (it might take longer than using magnesium hydroxide though). Any unreacted mag carbonate will sink to the bottom.

I wouldn’t add citric acid unless you are trying to get a citrate salt (Peat doesn’t like citrates too much). Magnesium citrate is a legit form of magnesium supplementation though. You might be better off going for magnesium acetate by reacting the magnesium carbonate with vinegar which should foam on contact and form a slurry (it’s not very soluable). The acetate should also be metabolised by your body into bicarbonate.

I’m of course assuming you have a reasonably pure source of mag carbonate.

managing

The citric acid will react with the mag carbonate to form magnesium citrate, water and CO2. The amount of magnesium carbonate that was left after that reaction would determine how much magnesium bicarbonate was produced. If you mix your magnesium carbonate into sofa water and cap it to maintain pressure, you may find that it reacts with the water and CO2 to form magnesium bicarbonate (it might take longer than using magnesium hydroxide though). Any unreacted mag carbonate will sink to the bottom.

I wouldn’t add citric acid unless you are trying to get a citrate salt (Peat doesn’t like citrates too much). Magnesium citrate is a legit form of magnesium supplementation though. You might be better off going for magnesium acetate by reacting the magnesium carbonate with vinegar which should foam on contact and form a slurry (it’s not very soluable). The acetate should also be metabolised by your body into bicarbonate.

I am going to try to revive this not very old thread. I have some USP Magnesium carbonate that i have reacted with apple cider vinegar.

Taking it slow so far. Only thing I've noticed is a few muscle spasms. But I am using very little magcarb at this point.

OP
AretnaP

AretnaP

I am going to try to revive this not very old thread. I have some USP Magnesium carbonate that i have reacted with apple cider vinegar.

Taking it slow so far. Only thing I've noticed is a few muscle spasms. But I am using very little magcarb at this point.
I don't believe in the idea of not reviving old threads. If the topic was relevant and important what's the point in making a new one?

Frankdee20

I don't believe in the idea of not reviving old threads. If the topic was relevant and important what's the point in making a new one?

Lol, I was crucified once for reviving. After 3 days, I rose from the dead.

Ron J

What about citric acid from orange? I think he doesn't like citrate much due to the effect on bone health, but isn't citric acid the same? If I consume citric acid from orange juice, how would it differ if I react it with calcium from milk?

Glassy

He ain’t mad about citric/citrate. There’s a small amount in orange juice but not that much.

Acetate (ie vinegar) is better as far as I can find. Does it fizz @managing? Magnesium acetate can be a stimulating on the bowels at first apparently.

managing

He ain’t mad about citric/citrate. There’s a small amount in orange juice but not that much.

Acetate (ie vinegar) is better as far as I can find. Does it fizz @managing? Magnesium acetate can be a stimulating on the bowels at first apparently.
It definitely fizzes. Reacts slower than baking soda, but still all gone within a few minutes.

Here are two weird observations. First, before I used it, I have had, for some time, fairly quick transit time. But I've been mildly constipated since Mag acetate and (TMI warning) BM's became small, somewhat hard, and dark.

The other weird observation is that even a tiny amount, less than 100 mg makes me feel like I took an Ambien. I can't take it during day at all. Gotta be before bed.

And I guess a third: although they've been very mild, I've experienced some muscle spasm and muscle cramping since I started. Did not experience it before.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom