0% Fat Greek Yoghurt Instead Of Skimmed Milk

Peater

As per the title really. I don't like milk but I like Greek yoghurt. I understand that as it is strained, Ray's opinion are that it is OK, and less straining on the liver.

I'd mainly be eating it for the calcium and protein content as taste-wise it is pleasantly neutral.

SOMO

Many of the beneficial proteins/peptides are in the whey portion of the milk, which is removed/strained out.

Also commercial yogurt is not fermented long enough to produce significant amounts of lactic acid.
Homemade yogurt has more lactic acid than grocery store yogurt.

First the bacteria eat the lactose and break it down into Glucose and Galactose. Then it's further broken down to Lactic Acid, and supposedly the LA breakdown only happens after long fermentation.

People with Lactose-Intolerance can almost always tolerate Yogurt or Kefir. I find kefir or yogurt to be easily digested, and milk bloats me.

Also the Saturated Fat, CLA and even Lauric + Butyric Acid in dairy fat are all extremely valuable and healthy. I'd personally go with low-fat.

Also there is nothing smoother, richer or creamier than WHOLE (full-fat) greek yogurt. I buy the whole/full-fat variety frequently because I like to treat myself.

Last edited:

RobertJM

I find it kind of boring. Eating it with other things seems to produce gut ache (some soft fruits or pieces of chocolate). But by itself seems ok (if very boring). It also makes me feel just off when I start basing a meal around it each day. I seem to react negatively to all yoghurts unfortunately (including non fat Skyr).

I prefer quark cheese (non fat soft cheese) which I usually eat with a few spoonfuls of cacao nibs. Seems to digest better & more satiating. The quark cheese I spotted in Lidls (of all places).

Anyway, it's been nice having a natter.

Good luck with your yoghurt project.

cyclops

I eat yogurt. Couldn't handle milk well, so this is what works for me. If you are doing very low fat I think it makes sense.

Many of the beneficial proteins/peptides are in the whey portion of the yogurt, which is removed.

I think Ray doesn't really like whey all that much. Also, I think this would be the same case as cheese, that the whey portion is removed. I think this is one of the reasons Ray likes cheese.

OP
P

Peater

I eat yogurt. Couldn't handle milk well, so this is what works for me. If you are doing very low fat I think it makes sense.

I think Ray doesn't really like whey all that much. Also, I think this would be the same case as cheese, that the whey portion is removed. I think this is one of the reasons Ray likes cheese.

Thanks for confirming my thoughts on whey

Bobber, I wouldn't call it a project. It's just something Peaty, cheap, quick and filling to eat. :D

SOMO, I love the full fat stuff and appreciate what you say about the nutrients - however my waistline doesn't! I do eat Gouda and Brie cheese to get a smaller amount of fat combined with kit K

SOMO

Yes, I read that too.

Many of the peptides in the whey portion modulate the immune system beneficially.
Whey protein was even used to prevent wasting and other body deterioration in AIDS patients, I don't think casein has the same effect: Whey proteins as a food supplement in HIV-seropositive individuals. - PubMed - NCBI

There's a couple of these peptides and many seem to make it through the digestive process in their whole form.
The most well known are the Lactoglobulins, but there are others: Beta-lactoglobulin - Wikipedia

If money isn't an issue, you should probably alternate your dairy sources once in a while.
Some days I just don't feel like drinking kefir and prefer yogurt. On days when I don't want yogurt, maybe I will want low-fat cottage cheese.

Most dairy is, fortunately, very healthy and hard to get wrong unless you buy one with binders/emulsifiers like Carageenan with it.

OP
P

Peater

If money isn't an issue, you should probably alternate your dairy sources once in a while.

Most dairy is, fortunately, very healthy and hard to get wrong unless you buy one with binders/emulsifiers like Carageenan with it.

Interesting post SOMO and definitely agree with the quoted part!

Taotatoes

0% Greek yogurt with a drizzle of raw honey and a dash of cinnamon with apple slices is one of my favourite snacks. :happy:

Owen B

My digestive system improved a lot after I finally got yogurt out of my system. It was hard to give it up because a Chobani is about 11-12 gms protein.

But, all commercial yogurts (and a lot of other dairy) have pectins and gums. They are hugely indigestible.

Also, Haidut posted recently about some of the "beneficial bacteria", like, I believe, bifidum being implicated in pancreatic cancer. They can get into the lymph as well. From the digestive tract.

I had to conclude that yogurt is really not a very good food.

This forced me to add skim milk to a lot of dishes to make up the difference. Milk is pretty digestible itself, but when all the other stuff is added in, one is presented with a pretty unhealthy food.

Birdie

I’ve been using 2% Greek yogurt. Just seems like the zero percent must have some thickening agent in it. Actually my husband eats it every day. I might go back to having it more often. He has it with applesauce and instant coffee and ice cream if you can believe it. And maple syrup. All mixed. I leave the room. ;)

SOMO

I’ve been using 2% Greek yogurt. Just seems like the zero percent must have some thickening agent in it. Actually my husband eats it every day. I might go back to having it more often. He has it with applesauce and instant coffee and ice cream if you can believe it. And maple syrup. All mixed. I leave the room. ;)

That sounds delicious actually, I love coffee flavored anything like coffee flavored chocolate, coffee flavored ice cream, coffee-flavored pastries etc.

Seriously, Greek Yogurt goes with ANYTHING because of how thick and creamy it is so it works with savory or sweet dishes. I remember the smell of my grandpa making latkas (potato pancakes) topped with sour cream or greek yogurt in my house.

I prefer to mix mine with peanut protein powder + cacao powder + fruit + shredded coconut + coconut flour+ honey + xylitol.

Greek Yogurt is super versatile as a dessert or meal. You can find 0% without emulsifiers, since the processing of greek yogurt (straining) makes it naturally thicker than regular yogurt even without added emulsifiers/thickeners.

----------
My digestive system improved a lot after I finally got yogurt out of my system. It was hard to give it up because a Chobani is about 11-12 gms protein.

But, all commercial yogurts (and a lot of other dairy) have pectins and gums. They are hugely indigestible.

1. The ingredients label on mine just says "Low-Fat cultured milk, Vitamin A, Vitamin D" - you're saying that there are hidden ingredients (pectin/carrageenan/xanthan gum) that aren't listed on the ingredients label? I know the dairy manager in my grocery store by name and will be asking him about whether the grocery store brand of yogurt is hiding ingredients in labeling.

It's up to the consumer to read labels. If they pick a brand with pectin or carrageenan with it, the dairy company understands that as "oh, customers want MORE of this product."
Dairy manager to employee: "Hey Jim, add more of that algae stuff to the yogurt, people are buying it up like hotcakes." But if you're saying that reading labels doesn't matter and the customer is getting cheated anyway by hidden secret ingredients, that's certainly alarming.

Also, Haidut posted recently about some of the "beneficial bacteria", like, I believe, bifidum being implicated in pancreatic cancer. They can get into the lymph as well. From the digestive tract.
2. Microbiome is so poorly understood at the moment that finding Bifidum at the site of cancer and saying it causes cancer are 2 different things. If you find ANY bacteria anywhere besides your digestive tract which is the only appropriate place for bacteria,) I think that indicates oncoming sepsis.
I've also heard Soy implicated in Pancreatic cancer.
Even if you managed to find yogurt without Bifidum, would it stop you from getting pancreatic cancer if you have other risk factors or poor lifestyle habits? I doubt it.

Bifidobacteria are UBIQUITOUS and you can not exterminate or avoid them. There seems to be more evidence Bifido are SYMBIONTS and help us produce energy rather than them being pathogenic.
Here's a study where they found HIV+ people to be low in Bifido/Lacto, but the didn't get any benefits by being low in Bifido.
"Species such as bifidobacteria and lactobacilli, with propensities to boost gut immune function by modulating the innate immune system in pathogenic infection, are depleted in the faecal microbiota of untreated HIV patients."
Gut Microbiota in HIV Infection: Implication for Disease Progression and Management
If it's not pathogenic in HIV+/immunocompromised people, I don't know of a situation in which it would become opportunistic or pathogenic in healthy or even sorta-healthy people. If a bacteria is present, even in small quantities, in an immune-deficient person and the bacteria does not act like an opportunist or direct pathogen, it's likely that that bacterium isn't pathogenic.

Milk is pretty digestible itself, but when all the other stuff is added in, one is presented with a pretty unhealthy food.

3. Milk is not more digestible than yogurt.
People with Lactose-intolerance can eat yogurt or drink kefir, but many can't drink milk because they react badly to the lactose obviously. And there's nothing in yogurt that isn't in milk, with the exception of lactose, since yogurt is made from milk. Here's a mechanism that could explain WHY Kefir/Yogurt are digested easier than regular milk:
Lactose digestion from yogurt: mechanism and relevance. - PubMed - NCBI
...bacterial lactase survives the acidic conditions of the stomach, apparently being physically protected within the bacterial cells and facilitated by the buffering capacity of yogurt. The increasing pH as the yogurt enters the small intestine and a slower gastrointestinal transit time allow the bacterial lactase to be active, digesting lactose from yogurt sufficiently to prevent symptoms in lactose-intolerant people. There is little difference in the lactase capability of different commercial yogurts, because they apparently contain Lactobacillus bulgaricus and Streptococcus thermophilus in sufficient quantities (10(8) bacteria/mL

-If I have 80z of regular low-fat pasteurized milk, I will be quite bloated for several hours.
-If I have 8oz of raw milk (i.e. lacto-bacteria-filled milk straight from the cow's udder) I bloat slightly for some minutes.
-If I have 8oz of kefir, I get minor bloating for only a few minutes.
-If I have 8oz of yogurt, I get no bloating.
-If I have 8oz of greek yogurt, I get no bloating. (And yes, I've eaten 8oz of greek yogurt in one sitting and more. :D)
-If I have 8oz of whey protein powder, no bloating. (98% lactose free)
-If I have 8oz of casein protein powder, no bloating. (98% lactose free)
-If I have 2 tablespoons of nonfat DRY MILK POWDER, I get a fair amount of bloating. (milk powder has same amount of lactose as milk)

I'm sorry your experience with yogurt was not positive, but that hasn't been my experience and many people simply can't tolerate lactose but can tolerate ALL fermented products.
My grandma drank kefir and made homemade sauerkraut (the fermented kind) and she lived until she was 94 and she was gardening up until the end. I've seen fermented dairy (and other fermented foods) be compatible with good health.

SuperStressed

Also commercial yogurt is not fermented long enough to produce significant amounts of lactic acid.
Homemade yogurt has more lactic acid than grocery store yogurt.
Great news, hopefully this means the FAGE brand is pretty good too.

Inaut

Skyr and orange marmalade is my go to these days. I can’t eat store bought “Greek” yogurt anymore. In Greece on the other hand, yogurt is mind blowing

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals