Serious question on Danny Roddy.

tara

heyyzuz said:
I recently got back from a trip to colombia and I did notice that my hair loss has stopped A LOT! I'm not sure why. Any takes?
Were you getting more more sun than usual? How did your diet change during that time?

Sheik

Zachs said:
Danny was losing his hair from stress causes by low calories. MPB is almost entirely caused by genetics and is not reversible through diet and lifestyle changes. You may be able to slow the process or even see reversal in a very few instances but chances are if it is true MPB, you better get used to it.
How many men lose their hair due to stress and the doctor calls it MPB? How do we know there is such a thing as "true MPB"? No one even knows what causes it.

I'm losing hair but I'm also low thyroid. I've been basically starving myself for IDK how long.

cantstoppeating said:
I've found Danny's work to be a brilliant synthesis of Peat's and others work and its application to balding. All the science makes sense but I've yet to see any tangible evidence, even hazy before-after photos, of anyone's regrowth. We've seen plenty of initial results from things like minoxidil, finisteride and progesterone derivatives yet nothing from a Peat-centric approach.
You've piqued my curiousity; what are these progesterone derivatives of which you speak?

Attakai

^ I believe Propecia is an example of one.
Though I'm in the same boat as you. Looking back I was clinically under-eating growing up and most of my food was whole grain bread and some PUFA vegetable butter spread. Started having diffuse hairloss at 16 and looking back with my current knowledge it's obvious that what I thought of as my healthy lifestyle was killing me.

Sheik said:
Zachs said:
Danny was losing his hair from stress causes by low calories. MPB is almost entirely caused by genetics and is not reversible through diet and lifestyle changes. You may be able to slow the process or even see reversal in a very few instances but chances are if it is true MPB, you better get used to it.
How many men lose their hair due to stress and the doctor calls it MPB? How do we know there is such a thing as "true MPB"? No one even knows what causes it.

I'm losing hair but I'm also low thyroid. I've been basically starving myself for IDK how long.

cantstoppeating said:
I've found Danny's work to be a brilliant synthesis of Peat's and others work and its application to balding. All the science makes sense but I've yet to see any tangible evidence, even hazy before-after photos, of anyone's regrowth. We've seen plenty of initial results from things like minoxidil, finisteride and progesterone derivatives yet nothing from a Peat-centric approach.
You've piqued my curiousity; what are these progesterone derivatives of which you speak?

The progesterone derivative is a drug called Diane35 (cyproterone acetate).

Danny Roddy posted before and after pictures of someone reversing their male pattern baldness to his Facebook page (if you haven't already, sign up for his newsletter):
13682_852116174810707_1560007382483941318_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/thedannyro...33414.160367813985550/852116174810707/?type=1

There's also an example on youtube of someone using it (but now solely uses progesterone) to completely regrow hair in previous bald regions and regain a child-like hairline:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZt60O-eXmw

Sheik

Sounds like some pretty rough side effects for that diane35 stuff.

I've been putting progest-e on my head. I wonder if that could cause problems in the long-term. I don't want to become a ladyboy.

johns74

If you decide to stop putting progest-E on your head, it will still probably drop to your bloodstream many weeks after you stop, because progesterone saturates the tissues and only slowly goes to the bloodstream.

One woman who used progesterone topically had it dropping to her bloodstream for 6 months after stopping application.

Nicholas

"people tend to overlook the overall message behind his book, which is restablish internal balance and improve metabolism." - Amazoniac

that's because it is not very clear in the book, nor is it in much of Peat's work. Kinda funny since it IS the overall point.

A

Anonymous

Nicholas said:
"people tend to overlook the overall message behind his book, which is restablish internal balance and improve metabolism." - Amazoniac

that's because it is not very clear in the book, nor is it in much of Peat's work. Kinda funny since it IS the overall point.

I completely agree. However, I think he became aware of this. His more recent product, organizing the panic, is much less strict and the greater focus is on teaching you to read your body and recognize how things affect your temperature in pulse.

uuy8778yyi

It could be genetic

but it depends on what caused your hair loss.

just think back to the time of your life when it started,
what were you eating,
feeling like,
doing ,
mental state,
stressed or happy ?

yoshiesque

Henry said:
The problem with Danny is that his hair loss started on his year-long yourney through restrictive diets like veganism or low-carb. His success on Peatarianism is likely just the consequence of recovering from a calorie and nutrient deficiency. It doesnt say much about people who have a strong genetic background for pattern hairloss independent of dietary intake. Not having seen any credible success reports from such people so far, I would be very sceptical to the generalizing claims that he makes.

Correct me if im wrong, but im pretty sure he said that he started veganism/low-carb AFTER he started to lose hair. He was hoping these diets would fix it.

Also for HLAF, have you read his faq page? He goes through some things not addressed in the book. One thing he mentions is, that for many, supplemental T3 will be required regardless of diet. And that progesterone is a great way to halt hair loss but you could just take T3 instead (because T3 converts cholesterol into progesterone).

http://www.dannyroddy.com/weblog/hairlikeafoxfaq

Lastly, I am pretty sure from everything I have read so far, RP diet/Hormone supplementation wont reverse hair loss, it will just stop it. To reverse, I think you may need to try topical solutions. RP recommends coffee/caffeine/aspirin/niacinamide based topical applications for that. Having said that I am starting to hear about people using a mix of progesterone and minoxidil for topical solutions.

I too am concerned about hair loss so any info you get would appreciate it if you posted it up here.

The problem is not enough people have tried RP protocols mentioned above, especially the topical solutions. So when we try to look for results, we only come across results from propecia/minoxidil. So you/we may have to be the very first people who actually try these things. I am looking into trying the topical methods in the long run but sigh requires some research on how to do it.

Strongbad

I can say that genetic has very little to do with hair loss. My family, both from mother's and father's side, has been blessed with full hair. My dad has full hair, my uncles have full hair from both mom's and dad's sides, my older brother has full hair. My older male cousins have hair. Even both my grandfathers have hair. I'm the only one in the family that's experiencing major hair loss (not lately, though). I'm pretty sure it's caused by diet and livestyle.

To reverse hair loss, you need combination of Peat diet, red light therapy (on both thyroid and scalp) and scalp massaging aka Detumescence Therapy. And maybe magnesium and taurine food (or supplement) to increase stomach acid to digest all that nutrient-rich Peat food.

yoshiesque

Strongbad, that might be just your experience. In my situation, my brother, father and grandfather all had hair loss. And now I too have hair loss. However I like what RP says, that it is epigenetic. So we have the genetics to lose hair in a situation where the right environmental factors are present. Those environmental factors are hormone inbalances, poor energy etc.

I think it comes down to the fact that poor metabolism effects us. But HOW it effects us is dependent on genetic factors. For some poor metabolism does not effect hair growth, for others it does effect hair. Some get diabetes while others dont.

jyb

yoshiesque said:
Strongbad, that might be just your experience. In my situation, my brother, father and grandfather all had hair loss. And now I too have hair loss. However I like what RP says, that it is epigenetic. So we have the genetics to lose hair in a situation where the right environmental factors are present. Those environmental factors are hormone inbalances, poor energy etc.

I think it comes down to the fact that poor metabolism effects us. But HOW it effects us is dependent on genetic factors. For some poor metabolism does not effect hair growth, for others it does effect hair. Some get diabetes while others dont.

In seemingly similar environment, let's say you and your neighbour growing up in the same place and being raised similarly, one may grow perfect hair while the other shed hair early. In that sense, the deterministic effect (whether genetic or epigenetic) appears very difficult to reverse. And this seems true not just for hair loss but so many conditions. Some kids seem to just grow fat quickly despite eating the same things as other kids. And similarly for this forum, looking at health issues experienced by users on this forum, some problems just seem to persist after years despite putting a lot of effort into it (reading Ray's articles, interacting in the forum, changing lifestyle and diet and supplements etc).

What this actually shows is not that it's not possible to reverse this or that it's genetic, just that it's very difficult. You may get there maybe, but to get there probably means being way more careful with diet than other people. Seems unfair, but in practice some people will get as good health as you have while never having to care about diet.

XPlus

If we understood exactly and precisely what causes a problem, we would be able to solve it.

yoshiesque

jyb said:
yoshiesque said:

In seemingly similar environment, let's say you and your neighbour growing up in the same place and being raised similarly, one may grow perfect hair while the other shed hair early. In that sense, the deterministic effect (whether genetic or epigenetic) appears very difficult to reverse. And this seems true not just for hair loss but so many conditions. Some kids seem to just grow fat quickly despite eating the same things as other kids. And similarly for this forum, looking at health issues experienced by users on this forum, some problems just seem to persist after years despite putting a lot of effort into it (reading Ray's articles, interacting in the forum, changing lifestyle and diet and supplements etc).

What this actually shows is not that it's not possible to reverse this or that it's genetic, just that it's very difficult. You may get there maybe, but to get there probably means being way more careful with diet than other people. Seems unfair, but in practice some people will get as good health as you have while never having to care about diet.

This is very true, great post jyb. And its that greater amount of effort you have to put in, compared to the people around you, that counts. And it can be painful, especially when your trying to avoid eating PUFA containing foods when going to an event. Making sure you sleep enough while others around you are sleeping just 4-5 hours. Then comes digestive issues if you have any. But if you persist and resist temptations to breaking your great effort towards health, you will have what you want.

Nicholas

XPlus said:
If we understood exactly and precisely what causes a problem, we would be able to solve it.

the only thing to solve is being perceptive and taking consistent positive action. and that's not exactly an easy task. the resolution is not in targeting symptoms but how your body is functioning. staying in that place of not getting detached - a place of optimism and patience. with that said, there have been a few that have been vocal on the peat forums about regrowing hair. it makes no sense to adopt their diet or anything like that as their context is obviously completely different. i don't think anything about health and healing is about understanding exactly what is going on or solving problems with scientific rigor.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals