Teeth Enamel Worn Out. Why? Remineralization Possible?

BearWithMe

Thus milk, poor in magnesium, but high in the other two elements, not only interferes with magnesium metabolism, but also antagonizes the mineral responsible for decay prevention.
Milk doesn't interfere with magnesium metabolism and doesn't antagonize magnesium, come on...

Avoiding milk when trying to improve dental health is ridiculous.

By the same logic, you should avoid trisodium phosphate too.

"Xylitol is a sugar alcohol that bacteria happen to not be able to use as an energy source. In the absence of other sugars, bacterial growth slows. Therefore, its antimicrobial mechanism is bacteriostatic rather than bactericidal.
Source : Does xylitol kill all kinds of bacteria?
Effect of Xylitol on Growth of Streptococcus pneumoniae in the Presence of Fructose and Sorbitol
It is funny how you are wrong in everything you have said so far.

And citing anonymous online discussion as a source? Seriously?

Last edited:

TibRex

There is nothing like calcium overdose, there is only K2 deficiency.

(beside really extreme cases generally not achievable by normal eating of course)

There is term called "hypercalcemia" in the medical literature and it's coined because the medical abnormality does exist, same with other hyper conditions: hyperkalemia, hypernatremia, hyperphosphatemia, hypermagnesemia, hyperchloremia, alkalosis, acidosis...

While it is highly unlikely that hypercalcemia will occur from eating, it can happen when one overdoses on calcium supplements, which was what I had in mind when I responded to the OP. Here's an extract [source : What You Need to Know About Electrolyte Disorders ]

Risk of Hypercalcemia
Taking excessive amounts of calcium from supplements in amounts from 1.5 to 16.5 grams per day long-term can raise calcium levels in your blood above normal, which could develop into hypercalcemia. If left untreated, hypercalcemia can affect your nervous system, heart, stomach, kidneys and bones.

Side effects of severe hypercalcemia from calcium overdose may include:

• Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Constipation
  • Abdominal pain
  • Frequent urination
  • High blood pressure
  • Bone pain, muscle weakness
  • Delirium, confusion, lethargy and fatigue
In rare cases, the Mayo Clinic reports that severe hypercalcemia can interfere with your heart function, causing heart arrhythmia, such as palpitations and fainting. Without treatment, hypercalcemia may lead to coma and even death.

BearWithMe

There is term called "hypercalcemia" in the medical literature and it's coined because the medical abnormality does exist, same with other hyper conditions: hyperkalemia, hypernatremia, hyperphosphatemia, hypermagnesemia, hyperchloremia, alkalosis, acidosis...

While it is highly unlikely that hypercalcemia will occur from eating, it can happen when one overdoses on calcium supplements, which was what I had in mind when I responded to the OP. Here's an extract [source : What You Need to Know About Electrolyte Disorders ]

Risk of Hypercalcemia
Taking excessive amounts of calcium from supplements in amounts from 1.5 to 16.5 grams per day long-term can raise calcium levels in your blood above normal, which could develop into hypercalcemia. If left untreated, hypercalcemia can affect your nervous system, heart, stomach, kidneys and bones.

Side effects of severe hypercalcemia from calcium overdose may include:

• Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Constipation
  • Abdominal pain
  • Frequent urination
  • High blood pressure
  • Bone pain, muscle weakness
  • Delirium, confusion, lethargy and fatigue
In rare cases, the Mayo Clinic reports that severe hypercalcemia can interfere with your heart function, causing heart arrhythmia, such as palpitations and fainting. Without treatment, hypercalcemia may lead to coma and even death.
Hypercalcemia exists, but it simply doesn't happen when replete with K2 and other co-factors.

TibRex

...ozone?

Chlorine is also pretty good at killing pretty much everything

There are some others

Look, I am not the one who wrote that. It belongs to the extract which I copied from a website. I do not necessarily agree with everything the author says, like most people. The main point from this author is this "its [xylitol's] antimicrobial mechanism is bacteriostatic rather than bactericidal." Funny, how you jumped onto me and want to strangle me for the other parts that I am also doubtful about. I am not interested in being right or wrong but am here to learn and listen to what rational people say and do, plus discussing issues that are of interest. By all means contact the author and give him or her a piece of your mind, instead of barking up the wrong tree. The link is clearly provided there, in case you didn't see it.

Also, are you making another mistake by citing Trisodium phosphate which, for your info, is not for consumption. I said that I had bought it and has not even tried it. It's sitting on the bathroom shelf. I do not even know if it will work but was hoping for feedback from someone who already tried it. It was a side note only. Anyway, I've removed this as I saw that someone in the same forum had also pointed out the same video and talked about the same Trisodium phosphate, which is quite a coincidence. The article by Walter Last was posted for the consideration of those interested as he makes interesting points arising from his medical practice experience. Have you never heard of relativity - what is meat for one can be poison for another? I suggest that, from now on, you ignore my posts so as not to upset yourself. Live and let live. Even the first amendment guarantees that.

Last edited:

BearWithMe

Look, I am not the one who wrote that. It belongs to the extract which I copied from a website. I do not necessarily agree with everything the author says, like most people. The main point from this author is this "its [xylitol's] antimicrobial mechanism is bacteriostatic rather than bactericidal." Funny, how you jumped onto me and want to strangle me for the other parts that I am also doubtful about. I am not interested in being right or wrong but am here to learn and listen to what rational people say and do, plus discussing issues that are of interest. By all means contact the author and give him or her a piece of your mind, instead of barking up the wrong tree. The link is clearly provided there, in case you didn't see it.

Also, are you making another mistake by citing Trisodium phosphate which, for your info, is not for consumption. I said that I had bought it and has not even tried it. It's sitting on the bathroom shelf. I do not even know if it will work but was hoping for feedback from someone who already tried it. It was a side note only. Anyway, I've removed this as I saw that someone in the same forum had also pointed out the same video and talked about the same Trisodium phosphate, which is quite a coincidence. The article by Walter Last was posted for the consideration of those interested as he makes interesting points arising from his medical practice experience. Have you never heard of relativity - what is meat for one can be poison for another? I suggest that, from now on, you ignore my posts so as not to upset yourself. Live and let live. Even the first amendment guarantees that.

I'm not jumping on anybody, I'm simply saying that your posts are not true. Why are you taking it so personally?

TibRex

I'm not jumping on anybody, I'm simply saying that your posts are not true. Why are you taking it so personally?

You yourself wrote and posted the following for all to see, didn't you?

"It is funny how you are wrong in everything you have said so far..."

I have already made it clear that the posted articles/stuff did not come from me, so why do you keep insisting that I am the author of them?
Please don't bother to respond. I am not interested in interacting with you any longer. Bye, bye.

Recoen

Beware of calcium supplementation as most people actually have too much, not too little, of this mineral. Your tendon & ligament traumas and joint problems appear to be symptoms of calcification from overdosing on calcium. I learn that Ca has to be in proper ratio to Mg and others like boron, phosphorus, Vit D... After reading Chap 10 of an online book titled "Magnesium For Strong Teeth", I decided to get some Magnesium chloride recommended by Walter Last** on another website and am pleased to find that my teeth are indeed becoming stronger after taking it for a few weeks. Also, my finger joint pains too are getting less. Here are the first few paragraphs of Chapter 10 :

"When you ask the dentist how you can help to prevent cavities, chances are he gives you a new toothbrush or special toothpicks, and warns you to brush after every meal, and to avoid too many sweets. If he is like most other dentists, he may recommend plenty of milk so that you get enough calcium, long known for its supposed tooth-hardening properties.

Undoubtedly, your dentist is doing what he can to help you take preventive measures, at least to the best of his knowledge. He is aware that bacteria from unremoved food particles and sugar by-products produce lactic acid, which dissolves calcium in the protective enamel layer. He also knows the pain involved when decay spreads to the sensitive pulp tissue. Yet he ignores the fact that milk is recognized to be a greater producer of lactic acid than any other known food.

Indeed, the "best of his knowledge" may not be enough. One thing he probably does not know is that a number of studies have now established that it is magnesium, not calcium, that forms the kind of hard enamel that resists decay. And no matter how much calcium you take, without magnesium only soft enamel can be formed. If too soft the enamel will lack sufficient resistance to the acids of decay.

For years it was believed that high intakes of calcium and phosphorus inhibited decay by strengthening the enamel. Recent evidence, however, indicates that an increase in these two elements is useless unless we increase our magnesium intake at the same time It has even been observed that dental structures beneath the surface can dissolve when additional amounts of calcium and phosphorus diffuse through the enamel at different rates. Thus milk, poor in magnesium, but high in the other two elements, not only interferes with magnesium metabolism, but also antagonizes the mineral responsible for decay prevention.

An article in Nature (April 29, 1961) reports that when 200 patients given an alkaline phosphate for three years showed a significant reduction in dental caries, scientists at the University of Otago in New Zealand discovered that magnesium was the beneficial factor. The report concluded that "an important role can possibly be assigned to magnesium [phosphate] in the stabilization of chemical, physical and electrokinetic states of the surface enamel calcium."

Source: Magnesium, The Nutrient That Could Change Your Life: Chapter 10. Magnesium for Strong Teeth

** Walter Last : magnesiumchloride

List of videos on how to remineralize teeth : https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=how+to+mineralize+teeth
Calcium and Disease: Hypertension, organ calcification, & shock, vs. respiratory energy

TibRex

@Recoen. Thanks for the link. Here's another link : Calcium to Phosphorus Ratio of Vegetables and Fruits – Functional Performance Systems (FPS) ;
Calcium Paradox – Functional Performance Systems (FPS)

Yes, I am aware of the calcium paradox which Peat wrote about, along with his thoughts on phosphorus. Oddly, he said very little about the role of magnesium, its antagonist, while medical people and researchers, in contrast, are beginning to realize how vital magnesium is in resolving calcium issues. Here are some extracts from articles that do address the role of magnesium.

"Los Angeles, CA, Sept. 14th, 2011 — The British Medical Journal recently published a large analysis based on the results of 5 clinical trials conducted in the US, Great Britain and New Zealand that involved more than 8,000 people. The analysis concluded that, “Calcium supplements…increase the risk of cardiovascular events, especially myocardial infarction (heart attack)… A reassessment of the role of calcium supplements in osteoporosis management is warranted.” 1

According to Dr. Carolyn Dean, MD, ND, magnesium expert and Medical Director of the nonprofit Nutritional Magnesium Association (www.nutritionalmagnesium.org), approximately 30 to 40 years ago, doctors began prescribing calcium on a routine basis to many men and almost all women over the age of 40 to counter the effects of bone loss due to aging. The conventional wisdom was that bone loss is due to calcium deficiency. “After 40 years, it has become clear that taking calcium alone does not stop or even slow bone loss and does not prevent osteoporosis.” 2

The new wisdom now emerging is that magnesium is actually the key to the body’s proper assimilation and use of calcium as well as vitamin D. Dr. Dean says, “If we consume too much calcium without sufficient magnesium, the excess calcium is not utilized correctly and may actually become toxic, causing painful conditions such as some forms of arthritis, kidney stones, osteoporosis and calcification of the arteries leading to heart attack and cardiovascular disease.

The effectiveness and benefits of calcium with respect to bone health and the prevention of osteoporosis are enormously impaired in the absence of adequate levels of magnesium in the body.”

Many medical doctors, research scientists and nutritionists now believe magnesium supplementation is more important than calcium in order to maintain healthy bones as well as a healthy heart.

“Magnesium keeps calcium dissolved in the blood. Without the proper balance of magnesium to calcium, about a 2:1 ratio, calcium ends up depositing in kidneys and can create kidney stones, in coronary arteries where it can lead to clogged arteries; and in joint cartilage, rather than in bones where we need it most. The more calcium taken without the balancing effect of magnesium, the more symptoms of magnesium deficiency and calcium excess you are liable to experience,” Dr. Dean says.

New York Times best-selling author, Dr. Joseph Mercola concurs, “If you decide to supplement with magnesium it is important to understand that its complementary partner is calcium. So you should use both. Typically you would use twice as much elemental magnesium relative to the elemental calcium. That ratio works out quite well for most.”

Dr. Guy Abraham, M.D., a research gynecologist and endocrinologist specializing in premenstrual syndrome and osteoporosis has found strong evidence to suggest that women with osteoporosis have a deficiency of the hormone calcitonin that is only made when they take twice as much magnesium as calcium. In fact, he has found that when calcium intake is decreased, it is better utilized than when it is high. Dr. Abraham is one of many doctors and biochemists who advocate taking more magnesium to correct calcium-deficiency diseases.

Dr. Dean adds, “Adequate levels of magnesium in the body are essential for the absorption and metabolism not only of calcium but of Vitamin D, because magnesium converts Vitamin D into its active form so that it can help calcium absorption. Magnesium also stimulates a particular hormone, calcitonin, which helps to preserve bone structure and draws calcium out of the blood and soft tissues back into the bones, lowering the likelihood of osteoporosis, some forms of arthritis, heart attack and kidney stones.” Source : Calcium Magnesium Balance | Nutritional Magnesium Association

Calcium Intake in risk of Cardiovascular Disease

Dr. Mark Sircus : "Countries with the highest calcium to magnesium ratios (high calcium and low magnesium levels) in soil and water have the highest incidence of cardiovascular disease. At the top of the list is Australia. In contrast, Japan with its low cardiac death rate cites a daily magnesium intake as high as 560 milligrams."

"Adequate levels of magnesium are essential for the heart muscle. Those who die from heart attacks have very low magnesium but high calcium levels in their heart muscles. Patients with coronary heart disease who have been treated with large amounts of magnesium survived better than those with other drug treatments. Magnesium dilates the arteries of the heart and lowers cholesterol and fat levels."

"Magnesium taken in proper dosages can solve the problem of calcium deficiency.– Dr. Nan Kathryn Fuchs,– author of The Nutrition Detective."

"It is magnesium that controls the fate of potassium and calcium in the body. If magnesium is insufficient, potassium and calcium will be lost in the urine and calcium will be deposited in the soft tissues (kidneys, arteries, joints, brain, etc.). Magnesium and calcium compete for many of the body’s chemical pathways..."

"Calcium competes with zinc, manganese, magnesium, copper and iron for absorption in the intestine and a high intake of one can reduce absorption of the others."

"When it comes to magnesium and calcium neither can be divided from the other. One is not divisible from the other in terms of overall effect. They are paired minerals yet it is magnesium that holds the overall key for their paired function. In truth magnesium holds the key to life. It is, as the Chinese say, the most beautiful of all metals.** It is a nutritional element that can and is used as a medicine to great effect by all who know of its beauty and power."

** M. Sircus is referring to this Chinese word/character : { a.k.a. }, which is made up of two parts, namely the radical/stem which means gold/metal, and the other part { pronounced like the English word 'may' } which denotes beauty, beautiful, corresponding to the Sanskrit word 'sundara'. At the heart of the chlorophyll molecule is the magnesium atom/ion, and not calcium or phosphorus, or iron.... Nature didn't accidentally put the beautiful magnesium ion in chlorophyll, the pigment of life, did she?

Source: Calcium Magnesium Balance

The above quotes, etc. provide an alternative and practical approach/pathway to Peat's theory about the role of PTH being the sole player and the consequent upping of calcium via dietary changes to manage/control PTH anomalies. But I prefer to continue testing the alternative approach by dosing on magnesium instead (and it will take many months to see the results) as my dietary intake of calcium is adequate.

One of my sisters, a strong adherent of calcium supplementation, used to dose quite heavily, and religiously too, on calcium pills daily. One day, she decided to consult a Filipino psychic healer about health issues, without disclosing her calcium supplementation. Yet, when the healer did psychic surgery on her body, she removed numerous calcium deposits from her - enough to fill up a bottle. My sis took the bottle home and kept the stuff as a memento!!

Last edited:
OP
Doludolu

Doludolu

Beware of calcium supplementation as most people actually have too much, not too little, of this mineral. Your tendon & ligament traumas and joint problems appear to be symptoms of calcification from overdosing on calcium. I learn that Ca has to be in proper ratio to Mg and others like boron, phosphorus, Vit D... After reading Chap 10 of an online book titled "Magnesium For Strong Teeth", I decided to get some Magnesium chloride recommended by Walter Last** on another website and am pleased to find that my teeth are indeed becoming stronger after taking it for a few weeks. Also, my finger joint pains too are getting less. Here are the first few paragraphs of Chapter 10 :

"When you ask the dentist how you can help to prevent cavities, chances are he gives you a new toothbrush or special toothpicks, and warns you to brush after every meal, and to avoid too many sweets. If he is like most other dentists, he may recommend plenty of milk so that you get enough calcium, long known for its supposed tooth-hardening properties.

Undoubtedly, your dentist is doing what he can to help you take preventive measures, at least to the best of his knowledge. He is aware that bacteria from unremoved food particles and sugar by-products produce lactic acid, which dissolves calcium in the protective enamel layer. He also knows the pain involved when decay spreads to the sensitive pulp tissue. Yet he ignores the fact that milk is recognized to be a greater producer of lactic acid than any other known food.

Indeed, the "best of his knowledge" may not be enough. One thing he probably does not know is that a number of studies have now established that it is magnesium, not calcium, that forms the kind of hard enamel that resists decay. And no matter how much calcium you take, without magnesium only soft enamel can be formed. If too soft the enamel will lack sufficient resistance to the acids of decay.

For years it was believed that high intakes of calcium and phosphorus inhibited decay by strengthening the enamel. Recent evidence, however, indicates that an increase in these two elements is useless unless we increase our magnesium intake at the same time It has even been observed that dental structures beneath the surface can dissolve when additional amounts of calcium and phosphorus diffuse through the enamel at different rates. Thus milk, poor in magnesium, but high in the other two elements, not only interferes with magnesium metabolism, but also antagonizes the mineral responsible for decay prevention.

An article in Nature (April 29, 1961) reports that when 200 patients given an alkaline phosphate for three years showed a significant reduction in dental caries, scientists at the University of Otago in New Zealand discovered that magnesium was the beneficial factor. The report concluded that "an important role can possibly be assigned to magnesium [phosphate] in the stabilization of chemical, physical and electrokinetic states of the surface enamel calcium."

Source: Magnesium, The Nutrient That Could Change Your Life: Chapter 10. Magnesium for Strong Teeth

** Walter Last : magnesiumchloride

List of videos on how to remineralize teeth : https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=how+to+mineralize+teeth

For me it's different in the sense that I was severely deficient in calcium for last 2-3 years as I was avoiding dairy (due to food intolerance) and not taking in enough calcium from other foods / supplements. The higher calcium consumption (still it's not that high compared to other Peaters) has been for something like half a year.

Thanks for that magnesium input and the book recommendation. I am supplementing now extra magnesium glycinate during the days and evenings. What's so special about chloride though? Do you take it internally or make some kind of powder and brush it on your teeth (damaged enamel)?
Will have to increase that magnesium in the diet even more. Any special form to take or preffered ratio?

Will look into the video also, thank you !

TibRex

For me it's different in the sense that I was severely deficient in calcium for last 2-3 years as I was avoiding dairy (due to food intolerance) and not taking in enough calcium from other foods / supplements. The higher calcium consumption (still it's not that high compared to other Peaters) has been for something like half a year.

Thanks for that magnesium input and the book recommendation. I am supplementing now extra magnesium glycinate during the days and evenings. What's so special about chloride though? Do you take it internally or make some kind of powder and brush it on your teeth (damaged enamel)?
Will have to increase that magnesium in the diet even more. Any special form to take or preffered ratio?

Will look into the video also, thank you !

If your calcium is very low, then increase it along with magnesium. The ratio of Mg to Ca is 2:1, according to what I read in the medical literature and elsewhere. This applies to taking formulated supplements. In contrast, Peat prescribes dietary sources of calcium like dairy products. As you are sensitive to them, you could consider alternatives like sea food and other food items shown in the lists on the webpages below:

Top 15 Calcium-Rich Foods (Many Are Non-Dairy).
A Guide to Calcium-Rich Foods - National Osteoporosis Foundation
List of 10 Foods High in Calcium – List of Foods
Calcium-rich Foods - List of High-calcium Foods - Nutrineat

If you read the article by Walter Last at the link provided above, you'll see why he recommends Mg chloride. I bought that because it's locally available and affordable. Previously, I was using Mg carbonate but I feel its bio-availability is rather low and it also gives loose bowels.

The chloride form comes in "flakes"- the formula for preparing it for consumption is to dissolve 30-33 grams of the flakes in a liter of water [filtered in my case] and to take 1-3 tbsp a day in divided doses and not all at the same time. Read the Last article for more info on dosing. Put the amount required in a glass of water and drink it. The [alkaline] taste is kind of weird and not too palatable. Magnesium is not just for dental health - it is involved -as a co-factor- in at least 300 systemic functions! It is a must for diabetics.

No, one does not use the Mg flakes to make a toothpaste but one can turn it into 'magnesium oil' for topical use. You can easily google it up online and find out how to do that. I can't recommend any particular Mg compound here as each person reacts differently. Mg citrate, for instance, can trigger very loose bowels in some people so beware of using it for starters . There is a forum thread on the preferred Mg compounds. Search for it.

I would occasionally use food-grade Diatomaceous Earth [DE] [powder form] to brush the teeth by spreading it on top of some toothpaste. This was after I read a report about a woman who did that almost every day and when she went for her next dental checkup, her dentist was startled to find that she had no cavities and that she didn't require any dental work at all. The dentist and colleagues demanded to know what she did to achieve such spectacular teeth.

The toothpaste I use contains hydroxyapatite and it really does help quite a bit. Once applied, as in brushing, leave it there and don't rinse it out. Spit out any excess along with the saliva. My two big cavities [molar] have improved appreciably - the high sensitivity and pain are virtually non-existent. For the occasional pain due to bacterial reinfection, I would treat it with some clove oil. The cavity in one wisdom tooth is practically gone. The small gap where the wisdom tooth is on the other side [which the dentist couldn't close up] doesn't bother me these days except when lodged food particles cause local infection but then it's a matter of gentle flossing to remove the offending thingies. To kill any sensitivity and pain, I would swirl a few drops of clove oil mixed with saliva around the affected wisdom tooth for a minute or two and then spit it out - do not swallow anything please! What all this means is no more dental visits at least for now and the foreseeable future, thank goodness.

Btw, silica is often recommended for tooth strengthening, enamel regrowth, etc. So it's not just magnesium alone. Silica from horsetail, bamboo leaves, etc are often bundled with other minerals in the form of pills. Oh, DE also contains high silica [also good for hair and nails] and it can be ingested too, provided it's food-grade. It's dirt cheap and highly beneficial too.

Last edited:
OP
Doludolu

Doludolu

If your calcium is very low, then increase it along with magnesium. The ratio of Mg to Ca is 2:1, according to what I read in the medical literature and elsewhere. This applies to taking formulated supplements. In contrast, Peat prescribes dietary sources of calcium like dairy products. As you are sensitive to them, you could consider alternatives like sea food and other food items shown in the lists on the webpages below:

Top 15 Calcium-Rich Foods (Many Are Non-Dairy).
A Guide to Calcium-Rich Foods - National Osteoporosis Foundation
List of 10 Foods High in Calcium – List of Foods
Calcium-rich Foods - List of High-calcium Foods - Nutrineat

If you read the article by Walter Last at the link provided above, you'll see why he recommends Mg chloride. I bought that because it's locally available and affordable. Previously, I was using Mg carbonate but I feel its bio-availability is rather low and it also gives loose bowels.

The chloride form comes in "flakes"- the formula for preparing it for consumption is to dissolve 30-33 grams of the flakes in a liter of water [filtered in my case] and to take 1-3 tbsp a day in divided doses and not all at the same time. Read the Last article for more info on dosing. Put the amount required in a glass of water and drink it. The [alkaline] taste is kind of weird and not too palatable. Magnesium is not just for dental health - it is involved -as a co-factor- in at least 300 systemic functions! It is a must for diabetics.

No, one does not use the Mg flakes to make a toothpaste but one can turn it into 'magnesium oil' for topical use. You can easily google it up online and find out how to do that. I can't recommend any particular Mg compound here as each person reacts differently. Mg citrate, for instance, can trigger very loose bowels in some people so beware of using it for starters . There is a forum thread on the preferred Mg compounds. Search for it.

I would occasionally use food-grade Diatomaceous Earth [DE] [powder form] to brush the teeth by spreading it on top of some toothpaste. This was after I read a report about a woman who did that almost every day and when she went for her next dental checkup, her dentist was startled to find that she had no cavities and that she didn't require any dental work at all. The dentist and colleagues demanded to know what she did to achieve such spectacular teeth.

The toothpaste I use contains hydroxyapatite and it really does help quite a bit. Once applied, as in brushing, leave it there and don't rinse it out. Spit out any excess along with the saliva. My two big cavities [molar] have improved appreciably - the high sensitivity and pain are virtually non-existent. For the occasional pain due to bacterial reinfection, I would treat it with some clove oil. The cavity in one wisdom tooth is practically gone. The small gap where the wisdom tooth is on the other side [which the dentist couldn't close up] doesn't bother me these days except when lodged food particles cause local infection but then it's a matter of gentle flossing to remove the offending thingies. To kill any sensitivity and pain, I would swirl a few drops of clove oil mixed with saliva around the affected wisdom tooth for a minute or two and then spit it out - do not swallow anything please! What all this means is no more dental visits at least for now and the foreseeable future, thank goodness.

Btw, silica is often recommended for tooth strengthening, enamel regrowth, etc. So it's not just magnesium alone. Silica from horsetail, bamboo leaves, etc are often bundled with other minerals in the form of pills. Oh, DE also contains high silica [also good for hair and nails] and it can be ingested too, provided it's food-grade. It's dirt cheap and highly beneficial too.
Thanks for the input, will try maintaining that Mg:Ca ratio 2:1 but that just sounds impossible. How would that look in mg's? Because on Peatish diet we aim to consume about 1,500-2000 mg's of calcium/day and most people consume about 300mg magnesium /day. I try to aim for 500-600mg /day. So this ratio literally sounds quite impossible. Or the supplementation bust severely highly kicked-in

Also, yeah I'm using a hydroxyapatite toothpaste, not much help so far. On the DE stuff, never tried it on teeth. Had a couple of protocols to ingest it with water before meals (parasite cleansing), I guess it was effective for that, but later I discovered from haidut & other sources that DE is highly inflammatory in the intestines, can create small pores due to its sharp crystal-like structure, basically a permeable gut. So more drawbacks vs benefits on that.

BearWithMe

Thanks for the input, will try maintaining that Mg:Ca ratio 2:1 but that just sounds impossible. How would that look in mg's? Because on Peatish diet we aim to consume about 1,500-2000 mg's of calcium/day and most people consume about 300mg magnesium /day. I try to aim for 500-600mg /day. So this ratio literally sounds quite impossible. Or the supplementation bust severely highly kicked-in

Also, yeah I'm using a hydroxyapatite toothpaste, not much help so far. On the DE stuff, never tried it on teeth. Had a couple of protocols to ingest it with water before meals (parasite cleansing), I guess it was effective for that, but later I discovered from haidut & other sources that DE is highly inflammatory in the intestines, can create small pores due to its sharp crystal-like structure, basically a permeable gut. So more drawbacks vs benefits on that.
Supplementing 3000mg of magnesium a day will ruin your digestive tract. You will not absorb much of it anyways. Even 1000mg would likely upset your stomach really, really bad and would be useless.

Don't do that.

Last edited:

RealNeat

@TibRex Keep aldosterone down with adequate sodium intake (and/ or other alkaline minerals), improve thyroid levels and local tissue production (aka metabolism) and your body should be able to retain magnesium. Peat has gone over magnesium many times over the years. Ray has said anything is dangerous in a hypothyroid state and that taking magnesium supps is not the solution to the root cause of a deficiency. Magnesium supps fill a tank that has a leak, fix the leak.

@haidut has stated that filtered milk has most of the Mg stripped so unless one is consuming grass fed non homogenized and possibly unpasteurized milk, milk no longer seems to be a good source of Mg.

Seafood, coffee, chocolate, avocados, seaweed, soaked/sprouted or fermented and cooked grains and legumes also provide good magnesium.

And Carolyn Dean is not an unbiased source for Mg info nor is she non-profit. She sells Mg and her books.

Of its not clear, calcium is not the issue. Once again it's a metabolic issue.

TibRex

Food grade DE by definition contains 1% or less CRYSTALLINE silica - it is controlled and approved by the FDA. This is the AMORPHOUS, UNCALCINATED D.E. that is safe for consumption. See the extract below.

"Today's common D.E. formulations are safer to use as they are predominantly made up of AMORPHOUS silica and contain LITTLE or NO CRYSTALLINE SILICA.[32] The CRYSTALLINE SILICA CONTENT of D.E. is regulated in the United States by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), and there are guidelines from the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health setting maximum amounts allowable in the product (1%) and in the air near the breathing zone of workers, with a recommended exposure limit at 6 mg/m3 over an 8-hour workday.[32] ...

In the 1930s, long-term occupational exposure among workers in the CRISTOBALITE D.E. industry who were exposed to high levels of airborne CRYSTALLINE SILICA over decades were found to have an increased risk of silicosis.[34] Today, workers are required to use respiratory-protection measures when concentrations of silica exceed allowable levels. Diatomite produced for pool filters is treated with high heat (CALCINATION) and a fluxing agent (soda ash), causing the formerly harmless AMORPHOUS silicon dioxide to assume its CRYSTALLINE form.[32] Natural freshwater D.E. is used in AGRICULTURE for GRAIN STORAGE as an ANTICAKING AGENT, as well as an INSECICIDE.[22] It is approved by the Food and Drug Administration as a FEED ADDITIVE [23] to prevent caking.

"Food Grade D.E." is widely available in AGRICULTURAL FEED supply stores. Natural dried, NOT CALCINATED D. E. is regularly used in LIVESTOCK NUTRITION RESEARCH as a source of acid insoluble ash (AIA), which is used as an indigestible marker." Source: Wikipedia

Last edited:
OP
Doludolu

Doludolu

@TibRex Keep aldosterone down with adequate sodium intake (and/ or other alkaline minerals), improve thyroid levels and local tissue production (aka metabolism) and your body should be able to retain magnesium. Peat has gone over magnesium many times over the years. Ray has said anything is dangerous in a hypothyroid state and that taking magnesium supps is not the solution to the root cause of a deficiency. Magnesium supps fill a tank that has a leak, fix the leak.

@haidut has stated that filtered milk has most of the Mg stripped so unless one is consuming grass fed non homogenized and possibly unpasteurized milk, milk no longer seems to be a good source of Mg.

Seafood, coffee, chocolate, avocados, seaweed, soaked/sprouted or fermented and cooked grains and legumes also provide good magnesium.

And Carolyn Dean is not an unbiased source for Mg info nor is she non-profit. She sells Mg and her books.

Of its not clear, calcium is not the issue. Once again it's a metabolic issue.
Thanks for the input. Yes it does seem a bit weird and very hard consuming 2:1 ratio of Magnesium to Calcium that @TibRex suggested, I mean if you think in a realistic environment, without supplements, hard to achieve that naturally.

Although all of this seems very complex - I'll try to work on optimizing my metabolism , increasing thyroid via increased carbs, lowered PUFA, B vitamins, low toxin environment, try to maintain that intestine clean. Perhaps you have any practical tips that would help with this issue & increase my magnesium retention , improve Ca metabolism and possibly help to restore teeth enamel in that way?

Aditionallly , would having a chronic hidden infection / SIBO / Candida overgrowth affect ALL of this in any way?

BearWithMe

Aditionallly , would having a chronic hidden infection / SIBO / Candida overgrowth affect ALL of this in any way?
Candida use calcium to make its biofilm. That's why you have white tongue when you have candida overgrowth - it is the calcium.

So yes, having candida overgrowth DEFINITELY affects calcium absorbtion, in a negative way - the fungi consume the calcium you eat instead of you.

When you are calcium deficient because of the candida overgrowth, the last thing you need is to lower your calcium intake and further exacerbate the mineral imbalance by consuming crazy amounts of magnesium supplements.

Tooth decay is basically an infection of the tooth, so other hidden infections are likely to contribute to your dental problems.

There are multiple anecdotes on this forum of resolving dental issues after fixing the gut / SIBO.

Vera

@TibRex I really enjoyed what you shared with us. I've heard about Diatomaceous Earth bur never tried it before. You are right also about magnesium. I think we lack of it, I try to get from food and also take bath in Epsom Salt, but after your post I might try Magnesium Chloride.
I wonder what Toothpaste with hydroxyapatite do you use? Most toothpastes contain glycerine and I am not sure about that.

I wonder what do you think about Dr.Ellie's protocol while you are against of xylitol. She recommends Xylitol to reduce plaque in mouth and alkalizes the mouth after meal. Chewing sugar-free gum also stimulate an increase in mineral-rich saliva.
I also avoid bicarbonate soda which is too abrasive and alkaline and hydrogen peroxide.

Here is a whole thread about her protocol.
This Is A Big Piece Of The Health Puzzle

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals