Sleeping 8 Hours

kyle

Have any of you solved this issue of being able to sleep through the night?

Looking for alternate ideas besdies b vit, thyroid, cypro, etc.

Vanced

I usually sleep all the way through, sometimes wake once then straight back to sleep, usually soon after going to bed.

Is your room as dark as possible? Are you making sure not to view screens just before bed (phone, PC, TV etc)

Apart from that, what is your diet like? Enough calories? Are you taking caffeine too close to bed time? Are you taking thyroid, if so what dosage and when do you take it?

theLaw

Have any of you solved this issue of being able to sleep through the night?

Looking for alternate ideas besdies b vit, thyroid, cypro, etc.

I used to have terrible sleep issues waking up every couple of hours each night.

I used Taurine + oj every 4hrs to stabilize my blood sugar, and drank 8 ounces of milk + 3T sugar + salt before bed.

If I woke up at any time, then 8 ounces of milk + sugar + salt, then I fell right back to sleep. It was a bit of a pain at first, but it works.

I've come to realize that if I wake up, then some stress is involved, so I need to take measures to resolve those issues immediately.

T

tca300

Using hydrogenated coconut oil and glycine with dinner ( orange juice, milk, and salt ) has a nice calming effect that improves my sleep a lot.

OP
K

kyle

I try the snacking approach even taurine.

I should have mentioned in my op that I can sleep 8 hours fine - if I go to bed around 5 or 6 am I'll get up at 2 pm like clockwork.

I don't have insomnia my body's desired sleep schedule is just insane.

If I don't have a job forcing me up this is the exact pattern I fall into. I'm almost giving up and consider accepting my fate and just work late if I can't solve this.

OP
K

kyle

I'm aware of peats ideas wrt darkness, but even when I'm outdoors all day it'll be hard to sleep more than 5 to 6 hrs without waking up and it's sometimes impossible to sleep at night.

What directly gives resilience to darkness? I don't know if trying to maximize glycogen is the only route or is it?

superGrover

For me, what helped me relax was stimulating my metabolism less, i.e. less salt and CO, and on the other hand getting more sugar. Because I was more relaxed I was more in the mood to sleep.

Lecarpetron

For me, relentless focus on stress reduction works more than working on energy production. Walks outdoors, reading books instead of watching the news, hot baths, and avoid stressful people and hard to digest foodstuffs. Maybe some cypro in a pinch.

YourUniverse

I used to have terrible sleep issues waking up every couple of hours each night.

I used Taurine + oj every 4hrs to stabilize my blood sugar, and drank 8 ounces of milk + 3T sugar + salt before bed.

If I woke up at any time, then 8 ounces of milk + sugar + salt, then I fell right back to sleep. It was a bit of a pain at first, but it works.

I've come to realize that if I wake up, then some stress is involved, so I need to take measures to resolve those issues immediately.
This is pretty excellent advice IMO, it ticks all the boxes (sat. fat, sugar, salt, calcium). Ive taken to this, adding honey and salt** to chamomile tea - the teas has glycine, soothing/sleep promoting amino acid

D

danishispsychic

The only thing that lets me get close to 8 hrs and a supplement called Seriphos. It is supposed to lower cortisol ... works for me but I don't take it all the time. When I started to put like a ginormous ammt of sugar and cream in my coffee and had one before bed, that sometimes does it for me.

TheSir

I have an opposite kind of problem: I can't get my sleep below 9-10 hours without feeling fatigued.

GelatinGoblin

I have an opposite kind of problem: I can't get my sleep below 9-10 hours without feeling fatigued.

To my understanding the amount of restfulness one would get from a few sleep cycles is dependent on Metabolic Rate and to a lesser degree (or the same degree, thing is good Thyroid function usually lowers the next thing I'm about to mention, and also implies good Liver function leading to more Glycogen storage so no need for stress horomone release at night) low Adrenaline (and perhaps Cortisol).
Some people may be able to sleep just 6 hours and feel rested (albeit rested without stress horomones [feeling energised without stress horomones]) while slower metabolism folk will need more. Increase in Thyroid function is the key, the generic cellular respiration good Kidney Cortisol and Estrogen clearance etc. Etc.
Increase in metabolic rate (Thyroid Function) and low Adrenaline.
You should go for some warm milk with honey (I won't get into the indigestion or digestion of milk you can read Rays article on it if you cannot tolerate it), Egg Yolks with salt, OJ. Good carb middle a bit before bed and walk maybe. Maybe supplement with actual Thyroid medication for a few days, it sometimes cures it. Some Ray Peat Quotes On Sleep From Audio Transcripts more info.

redsun

Per your last thread about temps, iron deficiency with or without anemia as well as hypothyroidism can cause hypersomnia. Another reason to perhaps figure out your iron status.

I know a few users who had to sleep way too much (greater than 8 hours) to function and taking iron fixed this excessive need for sleep (not including the other things it helped them with). Douglas Ek or something similar and also Kingpinguin. Also it has helped me as well in that department when I have used it in the past.

TheSir

Per your last thread about temps, iron deficiency with or without anemia as well as hypothyroidism can cause hypersomnia. Another reason to perhaps figure out your iron status.

I know a few users who had to sleep way too much (greater than 8 hours) to function and taking iron fixed this excessive need for sleep (not including the other things it helped them with). Douglas Ek or something similar and also Kingpinguin. Also it has helped me as well in that department when I have used it in the past.
Yeah I will have to scrape up some money for the tests.

Hirri

It sounds like from fantasy world to me. I have sleep diary for 2 years now and I haven't had a single night that I slept thorough. Sometimes I wake up only once but it's very rarely, most nights it's 2-3 times per night. And all the sleep hygiene stuff I have been doing for years, it does nothing. In fact, I agree with clinical psychologists that it's basically just a crap and as long as there is something wrong with your sleep drive and arousal, all the sleep hygiene in the world would never make any difference. I include into sleep hygiene all those dark room, cold room, eat before bed certain foods, no screens, no blue light, sunlight in the morning, going outside in the morning, all the herbal stuff etc. But I would like to try CBT for better sleep though, it's the only thing I haven't tried. Then again I think that maybe some people are just lucky with sleep..

burtlancast

reality

It sounds like from fantasy world to me. I have sleep diary for 2 years now and I haven't had a single night that I slept thorough. Sometimes I wake up only once but it's very rarely, most nights it's 2-3 times per night. And all the sleep hygiene stuff I have been doing for years, it does nothing. In fact, I agree with clinical psychologists that it's basically just a crap and as long as there is something wrong with your sleep drive and arousal, all the sleep hygiene in the world would never make any difference. I include into sleep hygiene all those dark room, cold room, eat before bed certain foods, no screens, no blue light, sunlight in the morning, going outside in the morning, all the herbal stuff etc. But I would like to try CBT for better sleep though, it's the only thing I haven't tried. Then again I think that maybe some people are just lucky with sleep..

No one sleeps a full 8 hours. It’s natural to wake up multiple times a night very briefly after a full sleep cycle, but most people don’t remember it.

Hermes

Seth Roberts promoted a few unconventional ideas about sleep. For instance, standing a lot improves sleep. A short cut to standing a lot is one-legged standing. Another thing that has improved his sleep: Seeing faces in the morning. It also improves mood the following day. There are a lot of more interesting observations that one can implement almost immediately.

Surprising Predictions From Self-Measurement

Not that I have cracked the code or so, still struggle with not feeling rested in the morning.

Another angle: Grant Genereux discovered vitamin A is rather a toxin than a vitamin with beneficial properties. Not to argue here whether he's right or wrong, just to mention he notices restful sleep (with vivid dreams).