Vitamin B1 + Early Stage Kidney Disease

yerrag

This is a helpful video:

yerrag

Since I have kidney issues as well, I'd like to know if there's inflammation going on and taking the IL-6 test would help. If my ferritin is high (which it is), I could attribute it to the IL-6 being high as a likely cause that my serum iron is being safely stored as ferritin, keeping it away from harming me. This may cause iron to be less readily available for use in making blood.

But to be certain if one is really iron deficient, the transferrin solubility receptor test (STFR) tests for iron deficiency without the result being affected by IL-6.

This is how I understand the video and how I can use these serum markers.

yerrag

@kay_rae

Anemia is a common complication in CKD that increases in prevalence as the disease progresses [1]. Anemia is defined as Hb concentrations <13.0 g/dL in men and <12.0 g/dL in women [13]. Suboptimal levels of Hb and hematocrit in CKD patients are associated with declining survival rate [14,15]. This was evident in a population study that reported anemia as a critical factor in the development of cardiovascular disease (CVD) in CKD patients [16]. Consequently, CVDs such as heart failure and stroke have been implicated as major causes of mortality in CKD patients [11,12,17]. Anemia of CKD could also be due to multifactorial causes (Figure 1). Dysfunctional platelets, the shortening life span of red blood cells, iron deficiency, and inflammation are some of the factors that can trigger the onset of anemia [18]. The primary cause of anemia, however, is iron deficiency which may, in turn, be caused by low iron intake, low iron absorption, or disruption of body iron regulation. The damage that is caused to the kidney induces rapid activation of the immune system, and the inflammatory response, which stimulates IL-6 signal enhancement of hepcidin in the liver [19,20]. Inflammation inhibits erythropoiesis, affects erythropoietin (EPO) hyporesponsiveness [21], and reduces systemic circulation of iron levels by the production of hepcidin [22,23]. This response cascade indirectly contributes to the development of iron deficiency anemia (IDA) [24]. Excess hepcidin causes reduced circulation of iron in the plasma by a mechanism that involves the degradation of ferroportin, the iron efflux protein. Subsequently, iron release into the circulation from enterocytes and macrophages decreases [25,26] as shown in Figure 1. Levels of EPO decrease as a result of kidney damage and this culminates in lower erythroid cell production in the bone marrow. Bleeding during CKD causes loss of red blood cells leading to the development of anemia during CKD. Thus, the etiology of ACKD is a spectrum that involves both absolute and functional iron deficiency.

Attachments

• Protective_Role_of_Histidine_Supplementation_Again.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 20
OP
kay_rae

kay_rae

Thanks everyone for your continued insight and ideas. Making progress and will continue to share results.

I think the vit A issue has a lot to do with glucuronidation. So supporting your liver is key.

Serum Bs seem to be more indicative of recent intake. I think the MMA level on an organic acids test is the best indicator for B12 status.

The thyroid obviously needs Fe but hypothyroid seems to cause the body to not uptake as much. So it turns into a downward spiral. FeS clusters are obviously crucial for the ETC too.

I would consider trying the ancestral supplements spleen as it’ll be a lower total amount of red meat added.

Cu is also a tricky one. Like other metals it’s needed but can be a problem if there’s too much. Or if you don’t have enough protein to carry it, etc.

There’s a big connection between B1, Fe, and Cu so I would definitely keep up with the B1.

Any insight on how I should best be supporting my liver in ways I currently am not? Based on lab results, my liver seems to be functioning at normal levels, but I know lab results don't always share the whole story.

I will add the ancestral spleen to my regimen. Anything I need to look out for with that?

And will keep up on the B1. Seems to be working so far and will have another test soon.

Once you start getting into the weeds of supplementing individual minerals, things can go right or wrong very quickly.

I know some people manage it, but I have not talked to many who correct copper or iron through direct supplementation unless it is a straight deficiency which is rare. It is often something else, like B vitamins in Iron's case, that correct things.

Personally I would try a B complex a few times a week to see if that does anything to the blood tests. If it feels good, take more, if it feels bad, take less.

I like the spleen idea above too

I will hold off on taking iron or copper supplements right now. Do you think switching to a multivitamin that includes iron would be a bad idea? It does look like my iron levels are towards the lower end, so thinking it wouldn't hurt to add a little iron since I'm limiting red meats.

I will add the B complex and ancestral spleen and hope to see some results there. Any concerns on pairing this up with my current B1 supplement since the B-complex already includes B1?

@kay_rae I'm glad you were able to confirm that you have problems with iron, as reflected by the low transferrin saturation of 12%, which is far below the optimal range of 30-40%.
(I've erased my earlier comments in this space. Your serum iron values are actually low, not high. So I had to edit).

I've not had the experience of correcting low-iron anemia so I couldn't suggest how to go about correcting your condition. I had hemachromatosis before and I donated blood, and that fixed it.

I just don't know if it would help to also get your serum ferritin levels though. Sometimes, serum iron levels are low because the body is storing it in ferritin, to keep the iron away from bacteria in the system.

But it may also be that in the diet you showed us, it didn't seem to have much red meat, and I don't know if you took any multi-vitamins that had its share of iron. So maybe you were already taking in too little iron to begin with? I suppose if you ate cereals and oatmeal and bread regularly, and all these were fortified with iron, you'd have some iron, maybe to the point of excess. Can you give an idea of your intake of iron-rich foods to give us an idea?

On a related topic, since you have continually been losing albumin thru urine excretion, it is safe to assume that your blood volume would be low. A test of blood volume would also be helpful, although I don't know what that entails. A friend of mine had one done before, but I wasn't able to get details from him. But for me, it's important to know your blood volume as knowing that would allow me to get a suitable factor to use to adjust the many blood markers I use to analyze your condition. I refer to blood markers that are based on concentration in a volume of blood, which most serum markers are. Most of the blood markers are inflated. What is deficient may appear normal. What is normal may appear to be in excess.

For example, a serum albumin of 42 appears normal. But it is based on say a normal blood volume of 5 liters. If we were to know that the value is taken from a person whose blood volume is 80% of normal (at 4 liters), we can adjust the value by a factor of 0.8, and the adjusted value would be 42 (0.8) = 33.6 . Then we can realize that the person serum albumin is below optimal range (40 - 50).

As of right now it doesn't look like my nutrition intake provides much iron. Based on Cronometer I get a very small amount of iron from polish sausage, coconut cookie thins, bread, chicken and some other items. I do eat the polish sausage only 1-2 times per week however. Looking at foods I would feel good about adding, I think I will add some of these items to me diet: black beans, broccoli, and maybe some oatmeal. A website I was looking at said to take some form of Vitamin C (like a glass of orange juice) with any non-meat iron sources to increase iron intake. Any truth to this?

I will check into the blood volume test and see if that is possible at this time.

I've also recently made the following changes:
  • Added Cordyceps supplement (explanation)
  • Added daily intake of fermented foods (kefir & sauerkraut)
  • Discontinued use of medical insulin devices completely - returning to individual shots. Did this to reduce EMF exposure even more. Was a rocky transition for the first week, but have stabilized and have similar control as my devices allowed. If I can maintain blood sugar levels I will continue to use this method, but knowing my diabetes control is a HUGE component of my health/healing, will continue medical devices if control is not maintained.
  • Continue infrared sauna treatments 2x month
  • Continue chiropractic treatment every 2 months
  • Add yoga & breathing exercises to improve blood flow circulation
Check back again soon!

Recoen

Thanks everyone for your continued insight and ideas. Making progress and will continue to share results.

Any insight on how I should best be supporting my liver in ways I currently am not? Based on lab results, my liver seems to be functioning at normal levels, but I know lab results don't always share the whole story.

I will add the ancestral spleen to my regimen. Anything I need to look out for with that?

And will keep up on the B1. Seems to be working so far and will have another test soon.

I will hold off on taking iron or copper supplements right now. Do you think switching to a multivitamin that includes iron would be a bad idea? It does look like my iron levels are towards the lower end, so thinking it wouldn't hurt to add a little iron since I'm limiting red meats.

I will add the B complex and ancestral spleen and hope to see some results there. Any concerns on pairing this up with my current B1 supplement since the B-complex already includes B1?

As of right now it doesn't look like my nutrition intake provides much iron. Based on Cronometer I get a very small amount of iron from polish sausage, coconut cookie thins, bread, chicken and some other items. I do eat the polish sausage only 1-2 times per week however. Looking at foods I would feel good about adding, I think I will add some of these items to me diet: black beans, broccoli, and maybe some oatmeal. A website I was looking at said to take some form of Vitamin C (like a glass of orange juice) with any non-meat iron sources to increase iron intake. Any truth to this?

I will check into the blood volume test and see if that is possible at this time.

• Discontinued use of medical insulin devices completely - returning to individual shots. Did this to reduce EMF exposure even more. Was a rocky transition for the first week, but have stabilized and have similar control as my devices allowed. If I can maintain blood sugar levels I will continue to use this method, but knowing my diabetes control is a HUGE component of my health/healing, will continue medical devices if control is not maintained.
Check back again soon!
Some have a histamine response to ancestral supplements at first. Their kidney and/or thymus have higher amounts of DAO; both really helped me early on. If you don’t typically have histamine issues then I think you should be ok. With all new supplements I would start low and increase slowly.

yerrag

Check back again soon!
Thanks for the update Kay_rae!

I'm not familiar with the advice of taking vitamin C with non-meat iron sources. I personally don't know why a non-meat iron source is needed. I often suspect people give advice based on their religion. In this case, the religion is veganism. Some TCM doctors, on the other hand, advise not to eat red meat because the Taoist religion don't like to eat a beast of burden, like ox, as they do the farm work. I even once read a book on organic farming, which told people not to use the urine and feces of animals that aren't vegetarian - for fertilizer. Looking back, it's probably from a looney vegan author pushng her vegan religion.

I can see you're doing many things and I hope all of them would each make an incremental positive difference. You're understandably throwing the kitchen at the problem, and I hope it will work. But I've approached my health issue that way, and I haven't had much luck with it. It amounted to a lot of make work for me, without little to show for all that trouble. In hindsight, I would have approached it differently.

To make my point, I'll give you the example of when I treated my mom of her edema which looked like a very shiny skin on her knees. I bought a red light unit and shone it on her daily for a month. Nothing. The red light unit is a piece of junk, right? No. I started to give my mom better food, to address her hypothyroid condition, of which the shiny edematous skin (I forgot the name of the condition) was a symptom of. Her temperature improved, and the knee began to look nicer. I resumed the red light sessions on her knees. In a month the shiny skin was gone and her knees had lost the shiny look. The lesson here is to do fix the deeper issue first, and when a deeper issue is starting to get fixed, you can start with the therapies that will be able to show results given the new improved condition it's fixing.

I don't know if you can make a timeline, even if it's not perfect, to see where you came to where you're at now. I'll try to make something up, if you will allow me-

You started with poor blood sugar control, in the form of hyperglycemia. Over time, this condition created inflammation in your kidneys. This chronic inflammation led to chronic kidney disease, evidenced by high urinary excretion of albumin, and a serum creatinine level above optimal range. Because of the chronic kidney disease, your body lost the full functionality of using your body iron to create enough red blood cells.

I couldn't go deeply into the mechanism, but if I could, I would have a better picture of how to approach your healing.

But it certainly would have to involve improving your blood sugar regulation. It would also have to check if there is inflammation going on in your kidneys, and if there is, to fix the cause of the inflammation. And to find out out the cause of low rbc, starting with asking if it is related to your chronic kidney condition. And also, to find out if you have low blood volume (which would not be a surprise, since you have lost a lot of albumin thru urine excretion).

I'm not sure looking into this is something within the ken of a regular conventional doctor. If anything, he will only make you worse. Even if you have a premium health insurance plan. All it guarantees is that you won't become a pauper from the healthcare expenses. I don't know if you're still taking the ARBs. I'm no doctor, but if I were in your place, I'd try something else or something in addition to it, as the ARBs are not getting you better. And I don't know if you're still with the same doctor, but I would start asking around and looking for another doctor. I don't know if it's even a good idea to go with a doctor that can be payed for by healthcare insurance, if it means restricting your choice to the doctors trained in the wrong science of big pharma.

yerrag

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/ebiom/article/PIIS2352-3964(15)30164-X/fulltext#s0035

Strategies to prevent diabetic microvascular angiopathy focus on the vascular endothelium. Because red blood cells (RBCs) are less deformable in diabetes, we explored an original concept linking decreased RBC deformability to RBC ascorbate and hyperglycemia. We characterized ascorbate concentrations from human and mouse RBCs and plasma, and showed an inverse relationship between RBC ascorbate concentrations and deformability, measured by osmotic fragility. RBCs from ascorbate deficient mice were osmotically sensitive, appeared as spherocytes, and had decreased β-spectrin. These aberrancies reversed with ascorbate repletion in vivo. Under physiologic conditions, only ascorbate's oxidation product dehydroascorbic acid (DHA), a substrate for facilitated glucose transporters, was transported into mouse and human RBCs, with immediate intracellular reduction to ascorbate. In vitro, glucose inhibited entry of physiologic concentrations of dehydroascorbic acid into mouse and human RBCs. In vivo, plasma glucose concentrations in normal and diabetic mice and humans were inversely related to respective RBC ascorbate concentrations, as was osmotic fragility. Human RBC β-spectrin declined as diabetes worsened. Taken together, hyperglycemia in diabetes produced lower RBC ascorbate with increased RBC rigidity, a candidate to drive microvascular angiopathy. Because glucose transporter expression, DHA transport, and its inhibition by glucose differed for mouse versus human RBCs, human experimentation is indicated.

Error - Cookies Turned Off

The present work is reveals an indirect relationship between DHA and glutathione via the PPP. DHA can elevate GSH levels through stimulation of the PPP pathway.

-----------------------

Hyperglycemia could lead to low intracellular RBC ascorbate, and this leads to RBC rigidity, and this could cause microvascular angiopathy (disease of small blood vessels, characterized by shortness of breath, sleep problems, fatigue, lack of energy).

The problems of low RBC and low hemoglobin, serum iron are also related to a lack of vitamin C.

Intake of DHA (dehydroascorbic acid), the oxidized form of ascorbic acid, would be more helpful than intake of ascorbic acid:

Lastly, with DHA supplementation, you may be able to build up your intracellular antioxidant stores, so that albumin would be spared from being used as an antioxidant. It could very well be that you're leaking a large amount of albumin because the albumin that's leaking is oxidized albumin.

Last edited:
OP
kay_rae

kay_rae

Hello all. Another (possibly somewhat related) question.

Since starting to increase iron and counteract the anemia (based on previous lab results), I have been experiencing some symptoms that I believe may be related to the increased iron in my body.

About a month ago, I adjusted some of my supplements in reaction to the blood results showing anemia. These changes included:
  • Switching to a prenatal multivitamin that includes iron
  • Adding in Ancestral Beef Spleen (6 capsules daily)
  • Adding B-Complex (2 capsules 5 days per week)
As I mentioned before, I am type 1 diabetic and use a device called a Dexcom (continuous glucose monitor) where a small fiber stays inserted under my skin for 10 days before removing and inserting a new site elsewhere on the body. In my history of diabetes (24 years), I have never had a problem with site infections or skin irritations.

I've noticed my last 3 Dexcom sites (approx. 30 days), however, result in an infected abscess that take anywhere from 4-10 days to heal.

After some research, it looks like excess iron may cause abscesses. (Article: Too much iron may cause skin infections)

I'm getting my next labs next week, which will include my CBC & iron tests. I can see then how my numbers look compared to a few months ago, but wanted to check in with this group as well to see what you thought. Any other ideas on why I may be getting these little infections based on my supplement changes? Any immediate concerns?

Last edited:

Recoen

Since starting to increase iron and counteract the anemia (based on previous lab results), I have been experiencing some symptoms that I believe may be related to the increased iron in my body.

About a month ago, I adjusted some of my supplements in reaction to the blood results showing anemia. These changes included:
As I mentioned before, I am type 1 diabetic and use a device called a Dexcom (continuous glucose monitor) where a small fiber stays inserted under my skin for 10 days before removing and inserting a new site elsewhere on the body. In my history of diabetes (24 years), I have never had a problem with site infections or skin irritations.

I've noticed my last 3 Dexcom sites (approx. 30 days), however, result in an infected abscess that take anywhere from 4-10 days to heal.

After some research, it looks like excess iron may cause abscesses. (Article: Too much iron may cause skin infections)

I'm getting my next labs next week, which will include my CBC & iron tests. I can see then how my numbers look compared to a few months ago, but wanted to check in with this group as well to see what you thought. Any other ideas on why I may be getting these little infections based on my supplement changes? Any immediate concerns?
Many don’t need to supplement iron; they need to get it back in circulation- B1 and B2 are great for this. If you’re getting some beef and especially the ancestral spleen everyday plus all the supplemental it’s probably way too much.
Did you have an active infection before starting the iron? What was your WBC count?

OP
kay_rae

kay_rae

Many don’t need to supplement iron; they need to get it back in circulation- B1 and B2 are great for this. If you’re getting some beef and especially the ancestral spleen everyday plus all the supplemental it’s probably way too much.
Did you have an active infection before starting the iron? What was your WBC count?

Thanks Recoen. I am taking B1 as well as B-Complex (and the spleen). I don't eat tons of beef (cut back to not put additional stress on Kidneys). My labs did show (last time I posted) that my actual iron count was still in range, but on the very low end of in range. I'll stop taking the multi-vitamin with iron included and see if that helps.

No active infections before. I never got infected sites with my CGM/Dexcom until the last month. And when I did get something (rare), it would heal a lot faster than these are. WBC was in range at 6.4 about 2 months ago. And 5.5 the month prior.

Should I also cut back on the spleen? I'm taking 6 capsules daily. And B-complex I skip on Wednesday & Sunday.

First time post, so bear with me. A friend of mine introduced me to this forum and have used it to do some research. Have found the community super helpful.

Looking for thoughts, advice, ideas and feedback.

Situation Summary:
I've lived with Type 1 diabetes for nearly 24 years, diagnosed at the age of 7. While the first 15 or so years resulted in poor control (higher A1cs), I am happy to report the last 5+ years have improved greatly, with my best control ever over the last year with A1Cs down to 6.5%. Working to bring to 6%, but feeling confident that it won't be a problem.

Fast forward to Fall 2019, my friend (who is way better at identifying health concerns based on lab results and other symptoms), noticed that my eGFR (measuring overall kidney function) was lower than it should be (around the 60-70 range). Diabetes is known to have complications such as kidney disease and certainly think this has played a role, but I also contribute my decline in kidney function to other factors such as intense work stress, high EMF environment and diet. I started taking some measures (see timeline below), but became really concerned in November 2019 and made greater changes when my eGFR dropped low enough to officially be classified as early-stage chronic kidney disease. The last 8 months has consisted of changes and experimentation to see what can help bring my eGFR back to the 90+ range. I've had some success, but still have a ways to go.

Question:
Has anyone heard about success with reversing kidney disease with high doses of thiamine - Vitamin B1? I found these studies (listed below) and decided to give it a try.

I am relatively new to the supplement world and extremely new to researching and trying these things on my own. After doing some additional research on B1 I determined there wasn't too much risk involved, which is why I tried it. I'm only one-month in, so look forward to seeing my lab results over the next 2-3 months.

I am also open to other ideas on improving eGFR and kidney function. Please ask any clarifying questions you have as well, I know there is a lot more to this than what I have shared. Happy to share more. Some items I've heard about, but have not done enough research on or tried include:
Feel free to give feedback/advice on these items as well.

Thanks everyone for your help! Hope to share some success stories down the road.

Kidney Health Timeline: (Approximate)

• February 2016:
    • eGFR = 97
  • April 2016:
    • eGFR = 90
  • April 2017:
    • No lab results recorded of eGFR
    • Started using medical device that gave me better blood glucose control, but later found to omit high EMF and was next to my waist section (near kidneys) 24/7
  • November 2017:
    • eGFR = 75
    • Doctor prescribed 10mg of Lisinopril daily to protect kidneys
  • July 2018:
    • Medication switch due to reactions to Lisinopril: Doctor prescribed 25mg of Losartan Potassium daily to protect kidneys
  • August 2019:
    • eGFR = 63
    • First changes to attempt to increase GFR:
      • Minor diet changes (less dairy / red meat)
      • Taurine: 1000 mg orally 1x per day
  • November /December 2019:
    • Major emotional stress
  • December 2019:
    • eGFR = 55 (official Early-Stage CKD)
    • Increase Taurine: 1000 mg orally 2x per day
    • Additional diet changes following kidney-friendly diet recommendations, daily cranberry juice
  • February 2020:
    • eGFR = 69 & 67
  • March/April 2020:
    • Increased emotional & physical stress
  • May 2020:
    • eGFR = 55 (contributing factors of high stress in March & April)
    • Add consistent daily hikes/walks 2x per day (1-1.5 hrs each, mild incline)
    • Increase water intake to 3+ Liters per day (untracked before, but likely less than 2 Liters per day)
    • Add quarterly visits to alternative-medicine chiropractor treatments to increase blood flow to body, focus on Kidney - start daily stretches/exercises to increase blood flow to kidneys
Goal: eGFR =90+
Current Diet:
  • Frequently Eat (5-7 days per week)
    • 4oz. organic chicken breast, baked
    • Cauliflower rice
    • Fresh fruit (apples, strawberries, blueberries, bananas, pears)
    • Fresh Vegetables (cabbage, shallots, brussel sprouts)
    • Salad
  • Moderately Eat (3-4 days per week)
    • Fresh Vegetables (red peppers, cauliflower, tomatoes, carrots)
    • Egg whites
  • Occasionally Eat (1-2 days per week)
    • Polish Sausage
    • Olive Oil Potato Chips
    • Coconut Cookie Thins
    • Gluten Free Bread
  • Rarely Eat (Less than 5 times per month)
    • Red Meat (burgers, steak, beef)
    • Eggs w/ yolk
    • Cheese / dairy
    • Chipotle Burrito Bowl (chicken)

Sodium or Potassium Bicarbonate has strong protective action for kidney health, maybe 2 - 3 grams of both per day (.. using both sources for a total of 2 - 3 grams bicarbonate per day), with 3 hours post meal and 1 h pre meal. Reduction of salt intake to no more than 1 - 2 g/d is also very important.

yerrag

I suspect that the iron is causing bacteria to multiply easily at the site of the insert, and the pus is your immune system killing the bacteria.

There is probably free iron in your blood as a result of the iron supplementation. If so, it could be that you may low in ceruloplasmin, which converts ferrous iron to ferric iron, which would be stored in the iron carrier transferrin, keeping it away from bacteria to feed and grow on.

Maybe it's because your ceruloplasmin is low to begin with that your serum iron is low. Maybe it's not low iron, as the iron is stored in tissue ferritin. Tissue ferritin is different from serum ferritin, which is usually what we test for when we get ferritin.

Since you have a kidney problem, your ceruloplasmin may be low as a resut of the ceruloplasmin being used to oxidize free iron to its ferric form in your kidneys, and the ceruloplasmin is being excreted with urine. This is a protective mechanism of ceruloplasmin to keep the free iron from oxidizing and creative oxidative stress and tissue destruction in your kidney tubules.

Pls. test for ceruloplasmin and ferritin, as well as the sTfR, the soluble transferrin receptor, which will determine if your anemia is an anemia of chronic disease or is an anemia of low iron.

OP
kay_rae

kay_rae

Saw this article and interested to see if the kefir I added to my diet a few months back helps show any improvements during my tests this week. Was hopeful to see that it was specifically related to diabetic nephropathy, which is likely what I am dealing with. I have been ingesting 8-12 oz. of milk kefir for about 2 months now, as well as 4 tablespoons of sauerkraut 3-5 times weekly and probiotic granola .5 - 1 cup daily.

The Effects of Kefir on Kidney Tissues and Functions in Diabetic Rats
Kefir administration reduced progression of renal injury in STZ-diabetic rats by lowering oxidative stress - ScienceDirect

Last edited:
OP
kay_rae

kay_rae

Pls. test for ceruloplasmin and ferritin, as well as the sTfR, the soluble transferrin receptor, which will determine if your anemia is an anemia of chronic disease or is an anemia of low iron.

Thanks Yerrag. I will see if I can add this to my November lab tests. I'll share where my other numbers are when I get this weeks labs done and maybe we'll be able to determine more from those.

Sodium or Potassium Bicarbonate has strong protective action for kidney health, maybe 2 - 3 grams of both per day (.. using both sources for a total of 2 - 3 grams bicarbonate per day), with 3 hours post meal and 1 h pre meal. Reduction of salt intake to no more than 1 - 2 g/d is also very important.

Thanks Tristan. I will definitely look into these and add it to my potential treatment list. Do you know if the Sodium or Potassium Bicarbonate just help prevent further damage or do they have any potential healing capacities? I'm already taking Losartan which is prescribed Potassium tablets. Are these the same thing or similar to the two you mentioned here? My salt intake is pretty low already, so I'm not too concerned about that right now.

Thanks Yerrag. I will see if I can add this to my November lab tests. I'll share where my other numbers are when I get this weeks labs done and maybe we'll be able to determine more from those.

Thanks Tristan. I will definitely look into these and add it to my potential treatment list. Do you know if the Sodium or Potassium Bicarbonate just help prevent further damage or do they have any potential healing capacities? I'm already taking Losartan which is prescribed Potassium tablets. Are these the same thing or similar to the two you mentioned here? My salt intake is pretty low already, so I'm not too concerned about that right now.

They stabilize the condition strongly, and possible healing will take place in the bettered metabolic environment. One idea is that the kidneys were meant to excrete base excess as opposed to excreting acid excess; the kidneys damaging themselves in the process of handling the unphysiologic acid load.

OP
kay_rae

kay_rae

New results and I am loving what I'm seeing so far! The B1 seems to be doing exactly what the studies said it would and lowered the Urine Albumin/Urine Creatinine Ratio. There is work to be done yet, but the results so far are giving me hope. They didn't run some of the tests as my doctor requested (iron panel including % Saturation), so I'll have to get those results next month. But for now...

Started B1 Thiamine on 6/25 at 500 mg/day (approximately 100 days use)
  • Urine Albumin/Urine Creatinine Ratio Results: (Goal <30)
    • 04/2008 - 14.3
    • 03/2010 - 681
    • 02/2016 - 733
    • 11/2017 - 758
    • 8/2019 - 1231
    • 12/2019 - 580
    • 02/2020 - 753
    • 06/2020 - 1033 (started B1 thiamine after this test)
    • 07/2020 - 824
    • 08/2020 - 662
    • 10/2020 - 330
  • Serum Creatinine:
    • 04/2008 - 0.42
    • 03/2010 - 0.57
    • 02/2016 - 0.83
    • 11/2017 - 1.02
    • 8/2019 - 1.16
    • 12/2019 - 1.3
    • 02/2020 - 1.1
    • 06/2020 - 1.11 (started B1 thiamine after this test)
    • 07/2020 - Not tested
    • 08/2020 - 1.25
    • 10/2020 - 1.11
  • GFR
  • 04/2008 - Not tested
  • 03/2010 - Not tested
  • 02/2016 - 97
  • 11/2017 - 75
  • 8/2019 - 63
  • 12/2019 - 55
  • 02/2020 - 67
  • 06/2020 - 66 (started B1 thiamine after this test)
  • 07/2020 - Not tested
  • 08/2020 - 57
  • 10/2020 - 78
  • Other results
  • All other markers (diabetes, kidney, liver, blood, etc.) in range and showing slight improvements
  • Iron increased to 44 (slight improvement) - labs did not run % saturation test and will request for November lab
  • General Health: Feeling healthy and strong. No signs of distress or symptoms to share. Getting great sleep and energy levels are great. Posture, muscle tightness, and mobility improving.
Next Steps:
  • Increase B1 to 1000 mg per day and see if more improvements can be made
  • Continue to take ancestral spleen & B-complex for iron/anemia (see results in Nov)
  • Increase Lumbrokinase to 80-120 mg per day (previously 40 mg per day)
  • Continue other supplements:
    • Cordyceps: 2 capsules daily
    • Taurine: 2ooo mg daily
  • Continue diet as is:
    • Limit red meats
    • Include fermented foods (kefir & sauerkraut)
    • Nettle tea - 1 cup daily
  • Continue activity as is:
    • Stretch Appointments (50 mins) weekly
    • Infrared Sauna (35 mins) 2x/month
    • Yoga 10-20 mins per day
    • 2-3 hours walking/hiking daily (time outdoors)
    • Chiropractic alignment every 3 months
Let me know what you think and any other ideas, questions or concerns you may have. So grateful the B1 seems to be working, alongside all the other adjustments made. Will post again next month.

Thanks all!

yerrag

Good job!

It's looking very good.

I like that the 500mg daily thiamine is working very well. If that's working, please ask around to see if increasing dosage would help you further. Maybe it will work increasing the dosage, I just don't know.

You're short on details regarding your other tests though. You're saying it'w within range, but are you basing that on standard of care range? The standard of care range, which is what you see on the lab tests, aren't reliable.

Looking forward to your other tests. Your blood sugar control, your iron status, your RBC and hemoglobin, hopefully, can be improved so it will also contribute to improving your kidney condition. They're all connected.

Also, at some point you'll have to increase meat intake such as in increasing glutathione stores as well as to help with increasing your red blood cells. I personally don't agree with doctors' advice on cutting back on protein to protect the kidneys, considering that you have to restore a lot of lost albumin that were excreted. But that's just my opinion.

OP
kay_rae

kay_rae

Good job!

It's looking very good.

I like that the 500mg daily thiamine is working very well. If that's working, please ask around to see if increasing dosage would help you further. Maybe it will work increasing the dosage, I just don't know.

You're short on details regarding your other tests though. You're saying it'w within range, but are you basing that on standard of care range? The standard of care range, which is what you see on the lab tests, aren't reliable.

Looking forward to your other tests. Your blood sugar control, your iron status, your RBC and hemoglobin, hopefully, can be improved so it will also contribute to improving your kidney condition. They're all connected.

Also, at some point you'll have to increase meat intake such as in increasing glutathione stores as well as to help with increasing your red blood cells. I personally don't agree with doctors' advice on cutting back on protein to protect the kidneys, considering that you have to restore a lot of lost albumin that were excreted. But that's just my opinion.

Thanks Yerrag. I am excited with the outcomes so far, and hoping the increase to 1000 mg daily will show even more improvement over the next 1-3 months. And I've received some feedback on increasing it. There is relatively low risk if it's 1000mg or less daily, but I should watch my iron levels as larger doses 1500-2000 mg daily can decrease iron levels, which are already at the lower end for me. So I'll look at November's test results and see where I'm at. Overall feeling great about it though.

And yes, sorry, short on the details for the other results as there either wasn't change or change was minimal, but none of them got worse. And some of the tests I asked for (like % saturation) they didn't run. Hoping to get them to run them all in November and will share them with detail then. But to give a snapshot now:
  • A1C: 6.5% (goal to get below 6%, but considering I went completely off my automated medical device and onto injections, I'm very happy with this result. It continued decreasing and with each day I get better control, so I anticipate it to be below 6% within the next few months.
  • Iron: Increased to 44 (still lower than I'd like, but slight improvement from previous result)
  • RBC: 3.97 (previously 4.0 in August)
  • Hemoglobin: 10.8 (still low, but slight increase from August results of 10.6)
  • MCH: 27.2 (slight increase, still low, but no longer "out of range", previous August results 26.5)
  • MCHC: 31.1 (slight increase, still low, but no longer "out of range", previous August results 30.6)
Hope that helps. I'll share again next month.

And certainly would love to introduce more red meat when/if I see my kidney numbers continue to improve. Fingers crossed that happens soon! I do still try to have some in my diet, but agree that it would be great to increase some more at some point.

Appreciate your insight!

OP
kay_rae

kay_rae

Do not stop the losartan.
Your albumin to creatinine is high. This means that your glomeruli are filtrating blood protein.

This protein is nephrotoxic and will further damage the nephron. In order to compensate for the loss of functional nephrons, the kidney will attempt to increase the glomerular filtration rate.

This, however, is maladaptive, as even more blood protein will be filtered and the nephrons will become sclerotic quicker.

Over the short term losartan will decrease the eGFR, however, since it reduces filtered protein, over the long term it is protective.

@S-VV , question for you. If the B1 continues working and I get my urine albumin/creatinine ratio back into range (<30), would it then be safe to go off the Losartan? Or is it more complex than just this result?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I have been in the B1 trenches for quite a while. And from my observations and hundreds of hours in the B1 groups, more is not always better. If I am finding good results with a certain dosage, I tend to hold er steady, because, good results were being found. Slow and steady wins this race.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals