Low Testosterone & Progesterone W/ Hypothyroid Symptoms

rayptfb

Symptoms:

Always cold, hands and feet always cold, low libido and erection issues, rapidly thinning hair at only 22, thinning eyebrows, dry /flaking skin with dandruff, stressed / ‘on edge’ feeling, poor sleep quality, severe digestive issues with symptoms of SIBO, rapid facial skin aging and appearance of calcification, and an overall feeling of fatigue.

Blood Work:

Sex Hormones:

FSH 1.59 IU/L (Range: 1.5 - 12.4)

LH 5.18 IU/L (Range: 1.7 - 8.6)

Oestradiol 71.2 pmol/L (Range: 41 - 159)

Testosterone 12.6 nmol/L (Range: 8.64 - 29)

Free Testosterone - Calc. 0.263 nmol/L (Range: 0.2 - 0.62)

Prolactin 111 mU/L (Range: 86 - 324)

SHBG 29.4 nmol/L (Range: 18.3 - 54.1)

Progesterone: 0.65 nmol/L (Range: 0.70 - 4.30)

Thyroid:

TSH 1.83 mIU/L (Range: 0.27 - 4.2)

Free T3 6.09 pmol/L (Range: 3.1 - 6.8)

Free Thyroxine 15.500 pmol/L (Range: 12 - 22)

Cholesterol:

Total Cholesterol 4.07 mmol/L (Range: 0 - 5)

LDL Cholesterol 1.86 mmol/L (Range: < 3)

Non HDL Cholesterol 2.41 mmol/L (Range: < 4)

HDL Cholesterol 1.66 mmol/L (Range: > 1.1)

Total Cholesterol : HDL 2.45 ratio (Range: < 4)

Triglycerides 1.21 mmol/L (Range: < 1.7)

Liver:

ALP 110 IU/L (Range: < 130)

ALT 28.2 IU/L (Range: < 50)

GGT 24 IU/L (Range: 10 - 71)

Diet:

Roughly 3500 calories a day (I’m 5’11, 180lbs). Carbs come from orange juice, skimmed milk, bananas and white rice. Protein from lean ground beef, eggs and milk. Fat from coconut oil and occasional olive oil. Only vegstables I eat are ocasational white potatoes, sweet potatoes and spinach for micronutrients. Only supplements are Thorne Vit D3/K2 liquid @ 4000iu / 800mcg respectively.

Lifestyle:

University student. Sleep is often poor - usually 7 hours and often brorken. Restistance training 4-5 days a week utilising compounds lifts - deadlift, squat, bench press, barbell row etc. Psycological stress is quite high at the moment due to the intentisty of my degree, a recent breakup and the stress of my declining health playing on my mind.

My symptoms are indicative of low metabolism and/or hypothyroidism, yet thyroid bloods like fine. Obviously Progesterone and Testosterone are both low which also indicate low metabolism. Does anyone have any advice as to what I should do first? I'm feeling quite overwhelmed at the moment due to the complexity and scale of my declining health. Thanks in advance!

Barry

3500 calories really seems like a lot. I am 5'11, 130lbs, but I consume 2200 calories. Mine are probably too low, but I would think 2800 calories would be sufficient for you. There was a recent post on oxalates. The vegetables you mention are all very high in oxalates, with spinach at the top. I would suggest replacing spinach with romaine, and replace potatoes with more white rice. I think vitamin E, 400IU is required for everyone, and possibly b-vitamin complex. I would also take low dose aspirin before bed, and maybe a spoonful of honey.

Kunstruct

Cold hands, Cold feet, higher pulse, maybe also anxiety sometimes is a sign of higher constant Adrenaline not low throid or low throid exclusive.
Your thyroid is not hypo, but could be better.
Prolactin is very low, 5 ng/ml, which is very good.
Testosterone is 363 ng/dl is indeed low.

lampofred

Have you ever tried gelatin? I think it would help to lower cortisol and also to counteract the pro-serotonin effect of muscle meat and bananas. Aspirin would help to lower cortisol too.

Do you get enough magnesium? Skim milk if you don't have enough salt, CO2, and magnesium can cause intracellular calcium uptake and result in calcification.

Sounds like you are in a hypoxic state, and I think animal protein, sucrose, gelatin, magnesium, red light, CO2, and avoiding iron are the most important things for getting out of it, especially gelatin and lowering iron.

Last edited:
OP
R

rayptfb

Have you ever tried gelatin? I think it would help to lower cortisol and also to counteract the pro-serotonin effect of muscle meat and bananas. Aspirin would help to lower cortisol too.

Do you get enough magnesium? Skim milk if you don't have enough salt, CO2, and magnesium can cause intracellular calcium uptake and result in calcification.

Sounds like you are in a hypoxic state, and I think animal protein, sucrose, gelatin, magnesium, red light, CO2, and avoiding iron are the most important things for getting out of it, especially gelatin and lowering iron.

I don't get any gelatin to my knowledge. I eat a lot of lean ground beef which may contain cartialge, tendons, ligaments etc.

According to chronometer I hit the RDA for magnesium, but some of my symptoms suggest otherwise. I've been exeperiencing full body muscle twithces for ~6 months which are indicitive of magnesium deficiency and impaired calcium regulation. Would you reccomend supplenting Mg?

I do believe I am experiencing hypoxia, though I am not sure what is causing it, nor how to fix it. I breath through my mouth mainly because my nose is always blocked, I often have the urge to 'gasp' for air even when resting (seems to be exasterbated when I'm feeling partiularly anxious), and I've found my cardiovascular has been impaired when exercising - i.e I feel like I can't breath after mild exertion and get symptoms of lactic acid buildup quickly (runners 'stitch').

Regarding iron, I actually have high serum levels which I forgot to include in the OP:

Iron 40 umol/L (Range: 5.8 - 34.5)
TIBC 50.58 umol/L (Range: 45 - 72)
UIBC X 17.9 umol/L (Range: 22.3 - 61.7)
Transferrin Saturation X 64.61 % (Range: 20 - 50)
Ferritin 105 ug/L (Range: 30 - 400)

Again, I am not sure what is causing this, nor how to fix it. Apologies, I know I dropped a lot of new info on you there. Thanks for the help!

OP
R

rayptfb

Cold hands, Cold feet, higher pulse, maybe also anxiety sometimes is a sign of higher constant Adrenaline not low throid or low throid exclusive.
Your thyroid is not hypo, but could be better.
Prolactin is very low, 5 ng/ml, which is very good.
Testosterone is 363 ng/dl is indeed low.

I do have quite bad anxiety. My heart often feels like it's 'pounding' if that makes sense. When I feel completely calm. my resting heart rate is usually 55 - 60 BPM, but when I'm feeling on edge it's usually 75 - 85 BPM.

Testosterone was 20.6 about two months ago, I'm not sure why it's dropped so dramatically recently.

Symptoms:

Always cold, hands and feet always cold, low libido and erection issues, rapidly thinning hair at only 22, thinning eyebrows, dry /flaking skin with dandruff, stressed / ‘on edge’ feeling, poor sleep quality, severe digestive issues with symptoms of SIBO, rapid facial skin aging and appearance of calcification, and an overall feeling of fatigue.

Blood Work:

Sex Hormones:

FSH 1.59 IU/L (Range: 1.5 - 12.4)

LH 5.18 IU/L (Range: 1.7 - 8.6)

Oestradiol 71.2 pmol/L (Range: 41 - 159)

Testosterone 12.6 nmol/L (Range: 8.64 - 29)

Free Testosterone - Calc. 0.263 nmol/L (Range: 0.2 - 0.62)

Prolactin 111 mU/L (Range: 86 - 324)

SHBG 29.4 nmol/L (Range: 18.3 - 54.1)

Progesterone: 0.65 nmol/L (Range: 0.70 - 4.30)

Thyroid:

TSH 1.83 mIU/L (Range: 0.27 - 4.2)

Free T3 6.09 pmol/L (Range: 3.1 - 6.8)

Free Thyroxine 15.500 pmol/L (Range: 12 - 22)

Cholesterol:

Total Cholesterol 4.07 mmol/L (Range: 0 - 5)

LDL Cholesterol 1.86 mmol/L (Range: < 3)

Non HDL Cholesterol 2.41 mmol/L (Range: < 4)

HDL Cholesterol 1.66 mmol/L (Range: > 1.1)

Total Cholesterol : HDL 2.45 ratio (Range: < 4)

Triglycerides 1.21 mmol/L (Range: < 1.7)

Liver:

ALP 110 IU/L (Range: < 130)

ALT 28.2 IU/L (Range: < 50)

GGT 24 IU/L (Range: 10 - 71)

Diet:

Roughly 3500 calories a day (I’m 5’11, 180lbs). Carbs come from orange juice, skimmed milk, bananas and white rice. Protein from lean ground beef, eggs and milk. Fat from coconut oil and occasional olive oil. Only vegstables I eat are ocasational white potatoes, sweet potatoes and spinach for micronutrients. Only supplements are Thorne Vit D3/K2 liquid @ 4000iu / 800mcg respectively.

Lifestyle:

University student. Sleep is often poor - usually 7 hours and often brorken. Restistance training 4-5 days a week utilising compounds lifts - deadlift, squat, bench press, barbell row etc. Psycological stress is quite high at the moment due to the intentisty of my degree, a recent breakup and the stress of my declining health playing on my mind.

My symptoms are indicative of low metabolism and/or hypothyroidism, yet thyroid bloods like fine. Obviously Progesterone and Testosterone are both low which also indicate low metabolism. Does anyone have any advice as to what I should do first? I'm feeling quite overwhelmed at the moment due to the complexity and scale of my declining health. Thanks in advance!

When did you start with the milk and OJ?

OP
R

rayptfb

3500 calories really seems like a lot. I am 5'11, 130lbs, but I consume 2200 calories. Mine are probably too low, but I would think 2800 calories would be sufficient for you. There was a recent post on oxalates. The vegetables you mention are all very high in oxalates, with spinach at the top. I would suggest replacing spinach with romaine, and replace potatoes with more white rice. I think vitamin E, 400IU is required for everyone, and possibly b-vitamin complex. I would also take low dose aspirin before bed, and maybe a spoonful of honey.

130lbs seems extremely light for 5'11. I'm M / 5'11 / 180lbs / 22 years old / extrmely active, so 3500 is around maintainence calories for me - I've been eating at this level for about four months and my weight has held the same.

I treid just eating white rice for a while but it left me feeling extremely fatigued and generally lacking energy, I'm not sure why. I'll give the romaine a try! Thank you for teh advice.

Kunstruct

I do have quite bad anxiety. My heart often feels like it's 'pounding' if that makes sense. When I feel completely calm. my resting heart rate is usually 55 - 60 BPM, but when I'm feeling on edge it's usually 75 - 85 BPM.

Testosterone was 20.6 about two months ago, I'm not sure why it's dropped so dramatically recently.

Cold hands, cold feet, anxiety and heart pounding is high Adrenaline. Also BPM is higher and not that constant, fluctuates a bit.
I had massive issues like that a couple of days ago, I used some pregnenolone, glycine and a tiny bit of niacinamide to try to stop the Adrenaline.
Initially I had choked a day before and went to the hospital with huge Adrenaline massive shaking of hands and feet and 150 BPM, but even the next day heart was pounding hard and towards the evening I started to have cold feet and hand.

Last edited:

baccheion

Need to work on sleep. Melatonin (0.3-1.0 mg is not opposed by Peat) + ZMA, for example.

Any nutrient deficiencies? What was DHT level?

10 mg/kg magnesium is a good target. Magnesium oil spray, for example. What's the calcium:magnesium:phosphorus ratio?

2:1 glycine : (methionine + cysteine + tryptophan) ratio via gelatin.

Magnesium increasing sleeplessness suggests an associated stress reaction and a likely need for more salt.

Side note: 5-10 mg K2 MK-4 isn't a bad amount.

lampofred

I don't get any gelatin to my knowledge. I eat a lot of lean ground beef which may contain cartialge, tendons, ligaments etc.

According to chronometer I hit the RDA for magnesium, but some of my symptoms suggest otherwise. I've been exeperiencing full body muscle twithces for ~6 months which are indicitive of magnesium deficiency and impaired calcium regulation. Would you reccomend supplenting Mg?

I do believe I am experiencing hypoxia, though I am not sure what is causing it, nor how to fix it. I breath through my mouth mainly because my nose is always blocked, I often have the urge to 'gasp' for air even when resting (seems to be exasterbated when I'm feeling partiularly anxious), and I've found my cardiovascular has been impaired when exercising - i.e I feel like I can't breath after mild exertion and get symptoms of lactic acid buildup quickly (runners 'stitch').

Regarding iron, I actually have high serum levels which I forgot to include in the OP:

Again, I am not sure what is causing this, nor how to fix it. Apologies, I know I dropped a lot of new info on you there. Thanks for the help!

The balance of amino acids in beef or any muscle meat is high in tryptophan, cysteine, and methionine, and your symptoms sound a lot like they are caused by high serotonin. Gelatin (either from a powder supplement or from bone broth, Dr. Peat uses oxtail and lamb shanks) has zero tryptophan (which converts to serotonin) and is high in glycine, which counteracts the effects of too much serotonin. Gelatin, stress, longevity Meat physiology, stress, and degenerative physiology.

If you are meeting the RDA then supplementing probably won't help because after a certain threshold of intake, being able to use magnesium depends more on having good CO2 levels, salt retention, low serotonin than on how much magnesium you actually consume.

I would focus on lowering iron via blood donation, increasing milk intake (which is deficient in iron), taking aspirin (which chelates iron), drinking more coffee (which inhibits iron absorption) and on eating more gelatin (make sure you can confirm is low in iron because low quality gelatin is extremely high in it). Excess iron & serotonin result in cellular hypoxia which results in fast lactic acid build up and hair loss. Beef and white rice are both high in iron.

baccheion

The balance of amino acids in beef or any muscle meat is high in tryptophan, cysteine, and methionine, and your symptoms sound a lot like they are caused by high serotonin. Gelatin (either from a powder supplement or from bone broth, Dr. Peat uses oxtail and lamb shanks) has zero tryptophan (which converts to serotonin) and is high in glycine, which counteracts the effects of too much serotonin. Gelatin, stress, longevity Meat physiology, stress, and degenerative physiology.

If you are meeting the RDA then supplementing probably won't help because after a certain threshold of intake, being able to use magnesium depends more on having good CO2 levels, salt retention, low serotonin than on how much magnesium you actually consume.

I would focus on lowering iron via blood donation, increasing milk intake (which is deficient in iron), taking aspirin (which chelates iron), drinking more coffee (which inhibits iron absorption) and on eating more gelatin (make sure you can confirm is low in iron because low quality gelatin is extremely high in it). Excess iron & serotonin result in cellular hypoxia which results in fast lactic acid build up and hair loss. Beef and white rice are both high in iron.
Does vitamin D increase or lower serotonin. What about serotonin:dopamine?

Too much Volume in your workouts maybe?
Overtraining Syndrome?Too high allostatic Loading?
How do you feel after training,the day after and such?

Gone Peating

The psychological stress is probably the cause. If you tested them, likely cortisol and adrenaline would be high.

First you need to dig deep within and ask what is causing you so much stress and try to let go of the anxiety - let go of whatever it is that you're holding onto.

Also, a little pregnenelone before bed goes a long way in my opinion. Just 2 or 3 drops of Ideallabs stressnon topically

And make sure you aren't consuming too much liquid in one sitting. I noticed that if I consume maybe more than 3 cups of liquid in one go I feel weird.

lampofred

Does vitamin D increase or lower serotonin. What about serotonin:dopamine?

In my experience supplemental vitamin D without sunlight does increase serotonin. In the email wiki I saw that Dr. Peat said it's better to balance phosphate by focusing more on calcium and vitamin K and less on vitamin D but recently he seems to be recommending vitamin D without reserve. Not sure why he seems to be more favorable towards supplemental vitamin D now.

Hans

Forum Supporter

Have you tested ceruloplasmin, hemoglobin, CRP and WBC?
It might be that you're low in copper and vitamin B2.
If your RBCs are low it could explain your fatigue and that might be the cause instead of elevated lactate.

sebastian_r

Cut out the dairy, there have been countless cases of hormonal imbalances / issues from dairy here on the forum. There are only a few blessed who realy do well on dairy.

Replace the carbs from fruit with carbs from starch. I feel terrible cold when my carbs come from fruits, so do many others here on the forum. With starch my body heats up nicely. If you watch some frutarian videos on Youtube, all they talk about are tactics to stop freezing during the winter. And they age as badly as the fruit they eat. lol

Stop using coconut oil, it's anti androgenic.

Your training routine sounds extensive for somebody with your hormonal profil and current issues. You could well be in overtraining. Compound lifts, especially 4-5 times a week can put tremendous stress on your body and recovery. Professional athletes during times of extended intense training / training camps oftentimes have the hormonal profile of little girls, and those are already the genetical blessed humans.

I would take 2 weeks off from training and see what happens. If it improves your situation cut down the training to max 2-3 times per week, you maybe even want to consider moving to something less stressing like calisthenics .

Last edited:

SonOfEurope

More sleep bro,

I'm late 20's too, quite ironically your same height and 186lbs. But my job is physical. My last test came out at 574ng T and 16 E... Higher progesterone as I supplement a moderate amount.

To produce the optimal 4,5mg of Testosterone and 2mg progesterone in the testicles you need at least 8H 30M of deep sleep every night, after a dinner that contains everything. The student-campus lifestyle doesn't help either you're under that fluorescent lights, sitting down and over stressing your brain to a high serotonin state.... It's a mess to be a man in the 21st century.

You can supplement all the Test -base, DHEA and Progesterone you want but badly sleeping only 7 hours and overtraining won't correct the situation.

Last edited: