Halogen Better Then Incadence For Red Light?

golder

The idea is to target the greatest efficiency between the 600-900 range (or more if you value those ranges). Can always filter out the shorter wavelengths if you wish. This is all going off the black body radiation curves, as seen in post #5. LEDs are great for high irradiance needs between 600-900nm. You'll need to look elsewhere if you find value in longer wavelengths, though. Personally, I find the heating wavelengths a great, even necessary, addition to red light therapy.

I'm not too familair with Xenon bulbs. They're spectral distribution didn't seem better than halogen/incandescents, with regard to >600nm.
TripleOG, you've made some really insightful comments on this thread that have helped me massively. I was wondering if you wouldn't mind linking to some halogen/heat/IR bulb examples that you would recommend for a good red light setup that I want to make in my office at home. Thanks so much.

TripleOG

TripleOG, you've made some really insightful comments on this thread that have helped me massively. I was wondering if you wouldn't mind linking to some halogen/heat/IR bulb examples that you would recommend for a good red light setup that I want to make in my office at home. Thanks so much.

Hey, didn't see the notification for your post!

I used 5 of these:
Halco 104044 - 250 Watt - R40 - IR Heat Lamp | 1000Bulbs.com

...in a DIY red light "bed" spaced roughly 2ft away from my skin. Really feels like you're laying on a beach.

There was a guy on youtube that measured the 620nm (IIRC) wavelength of the clear version of this bulb at 2ft away. Results concluded that a ~2ft distance was the sweet spot to get a therapeutic dose in decent amount of time, 10-20mins/day. It's been a long time since I took a deep dive into this topic so my details are a lil fuzzy.

Of course you can drastically lower treatment times with high powered LEDs like:
https://www.amazon.com/ABI-Booster-Flowering-Spectrum-Enhancement/

...or some of the offerings this forum's "LifeGivingStore.com" offers, but you forfeit the IR wavelengths. Whether you find them valuable at all is up to you.

R J

I used 5 of these:

...in a DIY red light "bed" spaced roughly 2ft away from my skin. Really feels like you're laying on a beach.

There was a guy on youtube that measured the 620nm (IIRC) wavelength of the clear version of this bulb at 2ft away. Results concluded that a ~2ft distance was the sweet spot to get a therapeutic dose in decent amount of time, 10-20mins/day. It's been a long time since I took a deep dive into this topic so my details are a lil fuzzy.

Of course you can drastically lower treatment times with high powered LEDs like:

...or some of the offerings this forum's "LifeGivingStore.com" offers, but you forfeit the IR wavelengths. Whether you find them valuable at all is up to you.

So this is a red light bulb?
I sit under a 250w halogen photography modelling bulb, it’s just a normal color for a bulb. I want to get some replacements for it, as it seems to be slightly dimmer after lots of use. maybe a red and a normal one. Also my dog loves laying in the sun but since it’s winter now I want to use it on her too.

I would like to ask you too- do you think sitting under HPS grow lights is healthy? I have some 1000w horticultural bulbs and ballast, was thinking of spending cloudy winter days laying out under them amongst the plants.

Marie2000

hey guys, if you were to design an office what lighting would you use that is not too expensive, helps productivity and does not damage the workers eyes or skin and diminishes stress? I am trying to write an essay for university for organization theory, i dont want to do it about banks and digitalization so thought i would use this time to do it in something that matters me. Could someone point me in the right direction regarding lighting for offices? Also could someone maybe tell me some sources that have studied lighting and health effects :/ thank you very much in advance

rei

Both of those are old tech and in no way comparable to LEDs. Are you going to use a kilowatt of halogen and try to sleep under it for a whole night? I think not. But take 200W or red LEDs and it is very comfortable and cost 1/5:th in electricity. Maybe add one IR LED. Much better energy efficiency and more of the beneficial spectrum.

Maljam

hey guys, if you were to design an office what lighting would you use that is not too expensive, helps productivity and does not damage the workers eyes or skin and diminishes stress? I am trying to write an essay for university for organization theory, i dont want to do it about banks and digitalization so thought i would use this time to do it in something that matters me. Could someone point me in the right direction regarding lighting for offices? Also could someone maybe tell me some sources that have studied lighting and health effects :/ thank you very much in advance

Valtsu's: The Therapeutic Effects of Red and Near-Infrared Light (2017)

Nebula

I used 5 of these:

Do you still use this heat lamp setup for light therapy? Do you think the red bulbs have any advantages over a clear one?

TripleOG

Do you still use this heat lamp setup for light therapy? Do you think the red bulbs have any advantages over a clear one?

Yea I still use it. Also utilize red LEDs for targeted treatments.

Red bulbs may have lower impact on sleep disturbance. There's a few posts on here that talk about bright light and blue-spectrum-inclusive light opposing melatonin. Great during the day, may disturb sleep at night.

You'll get red light benefits from both clear and red coated. Clear is just more stimulating, IME. Especially in the context of my DIY setup that's 2ft away.

LeeLemonoil

For consideration

Marie2000

Yea I still use it. Also utilize red LEDs for targeted treatments.

Red bulbs may have lower impact on sleep disturbance. There's a few posts on here that talk about bright light and blue-spectrum-inclusive light opposing melatonin. Great during the day, may disturb sleep at night.

You'll get red light benefits from both clear and red coated. Clear is just more stimulating, IME. Especially in the context of my DIY setup that's 2ft away.
thank you ver ymuch to everone. Im sure this wil be of huge help for others in this forum!

LeeLemonoil

Is there a way to measure Wavelength spectrum of red coated Halogen or Incandescent without buying a costyl spectrometer? I cant find any data of manufacturers from those kind of bulbs. Do the red coatings filter out anything else but red / which wavelenght of red remains?