"Can Essential Fatty Acid Deficiency Predispose To AIDS?"

OP
G

grenade

This times 1000.

Just so that everyone can “perceive, think, act”

there are mountains of “evidence” showing cholesterol (be it dietary or serum) is bad. We all know dietary cholesterol doesn’t cause disease

Piles of “evidence” showing sugar is bad. We all know eating fruit doesn’t cause disease

tons of “evidence” saying meat (red, processed, what have you) is evil. Carnivores laugh at it

Eating beef doesn’t cause iron overload. Eating fruit doesn’t cause NAFLD. Eating eggs doesn’t cause heart attacks. Eating coconut doesn’t cause heart attacks.

why is it so hard to understand that eating PUFAs, from nuts and seeds or heck even their oils ala Swank, doesn’t cause disease?

Why do people from one forum or another blame SuGaR or AniMaL FaTs or PuFaS or ChOlEstErOl or this or that when people gorge on pizzas and ice cream?

Occam's Razor | Leangains

SB4

science has shown that a dietary PUFA like linoleic acid isn’t increasing tissue PUFA in human interventions

science has shown that people who eat ***t junk food have excess tissue prostaglandins. It’s not because of linoleic acid or ALA from nuts and seeds lmfao

If the PUFA isn't increasing tissue concentrations then what is causing excess prostaglandins in people who eat junk food?

schultz

Prostaglandin, leukotriene, malondialdehyde, 4hydroxynonenal, acrolein, isoprostanes, lipofuscin...

Just go on pubmed and start searching for articles discussing these things. Just search "Malondialdehyde + *blank*" where *blank* is pretty much any disease.

It's pretty clear these are closely involved in pretty much every degenerative disease, autoimmune condition, aging in general and pathogenic diseases.

Maybe you think that eating nuts and seeds will make these fats behave differently in the body. These do come with some antioxidants that could help protect them from oxidation, but once in the body and incorporated they will be susceptible to lipid peroxidation (in the presence of iron + body heat + oxygen), unless that antioxidant status is perfectly maintained. Eventually it will fail, or some external factor will set off the chain reaction, like sunburn, or xray, etc.

For example I just searched "Alzheimers + 4hne" and clicked the first link.

The Role of Mitochondrial Aldehyde Dehydrogenase 2 (ALDH2) in Neuropathology and Neurodegeneration. - PubMed - NCBI
Aldehydes-induced toxicity has been implicated in many neurodegenerative diseases. Exposure to reactive aldehydes from (1) alcohol and food metabolism; (2) environmental pollutants, including car, factory exhausts, smog, pesticides, herbicides; (3) metabolism of neurotransmitters, amino acids and (4) lipid peroxidation of biological membrane from excessive ROS, all contribute to 'aldehydic load' that has been linked to the pathology of neurodegenerative diseases. In particular, the α, β-unsaturated aldehydes derived from lipid peroxidation, 4-hydroxynonenal (4-HNE), DOPAL (MAO product of dopamine), malondialdehyde, acrolein and acetaldehyde, all readily form chemical adductions with proteins, DNA and lipids, thus causing neurotoxicity.

Now I tried "Diabetes + 4HNE"

Pathophysiology of mitochondrial lipid oxidation: Role of 4-hydroxynonenal (4-HNE) and other bioactive lipids in mitochondria. - PubMed - NCBI
"Mitochondrial lipids are essential for maintaining the integrity of mitochondrial membranes and the proper functions of mitochondria. As the "powerhouse" of a cell, mitochondria are also the major cellular source of reactive oxygen species (ROS). Oxidative stress occurs when the antioxidant system is overwhelmed by overproduction of ROS. Polyunsaturated fatty acids in mitochondrial membranes are primary targets for ROS attack, which may lead to lipid peroxidation (LPO) and generation of reactive lipids, such as 4-hydroxynonenal. When mitochondrial lipids are oxidized, the integrity and function of mitochondria may be compromised and this may eventually lead to mitochondrial dysfunction, which has been associated with many human diseases including cancer, cardiovascular diseases, diabetes, and neurodegenerative diseases."

or "heart disease + 4HNE"

Regulation and therapeutic strategies of 4-hydroxy-2-nonenal metabolism in heart disease. - PubMed - NCBI
"4-Hydroxy-2-nonenal (4-HNE), a reactive aldehyde, is generated from polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs) in biological membranes. Reactive oxygen species (ROS) generated during oxidative stress react with PUFAs to form aldehydes like 4-HNE, which inactivates proteins and DNA by forming hybrid covalent chemical addition compounds called adducts. The ensuing chain reaction results in cellular dysfunction and tissue damage. It includes a wide spectrum of events ranging from electron transport chain dysfunction to apoptosis. In addition, 4-HNE directly depresses contractile function, enhances ROS formation, modulates cell signaling pathways, and can contribute to many cardiovascular diseases, including atherosclerosis, myocardial ischemia-reperfusion injury, heart failure, and cardiomyopathy. Therefore, targeting 4-HNE could help reverse these pathologies."

or "Parkinsons + acrolein"

Acrolein-mediated neuronal cell death and alpha-synuclein aggregation: Implications for Parkinson's disease. - PubMed - NCBI
"Growing evidence suggests that oxidative stress plays a critical role in neuronal destruction characteristic of Parkinson's disease (PD). However, the molecular mechanisms of oxidative stress-mediated dopaminergic cell death are far from clear. In the current investigation, we tested the hypothesis that acrolein, an oxidative stress and lipid peroxidation (LPO) product, is a key factor in the pathogenesis of PD."

or "Lipid peroxidation + cataracts"

Lipid peroxidation and human cataractogenesis in diabetes and severe myopia. - PubMed - NCBI
"To investigate the role of lipid peroxidation in human cataract, malondialdehyde, a breakdown product of lipid peroxidation, was measured in clear and cataractous lenses from normal subjects, and in cataractous lenses from diabetics and from subjects with severe myopia. The cataractous lenses contained more malondialdehyde than did clear lenses and the level was higher in diabetes and severe myopia than in the idiopathic forms. This indicates that lipid peroxidation may be involved in the development of senile cataract and, as a direct consequence of retinal damage, also in the pathogenesis of cataract in diabetes and in severe myopia."

... and so on. I could find thousands of these papers.

Kingpinguin

Roy swank is the perfect counter example to all this dietary linoleic acid causes excess tissue prostaglandin nonsense

I for one will pass on the dry skin and hair thanks, and I recommend everyone to make sure they’re eating enough essential fats. Just don’t deep fry in them

I never eat PUFA and my skil and hair is never dry. You got evidence for PUFA causing healthy skin?
Besides I dont get the point. If you eat like a normal person you’ll get linoleic acid. Milk, eggs, beef, butter have it. Vegetables have it.
Its everywhere. We dont need more than we already get. Animal breeding today also boosted n-6 fatty acids. What is your suggestion to get more? Eat the processed oils? No need our ancesters did not need it. If you wanna eat some nuts and seeds once in awhile go ahead and do it. You would still need to eat a lot of it if you gonna get close to the amount you get consuming pure oils. And on top the seeds and nuts are high in vitamin E. So yeah go ahead it nuts. No one is denying you the right. You don’t have to deny people not eating coz they dont like PUFA. Its not like you’re losing anything by avoiding nuts. Like i said linoleic and pufa is present in milk, eggs, butter, pork in several grams.

Last edited:
D

danishispsychic

Maybe @milkbasedvegan you should read all of Dr Peat's articles on PUFA very carefully if you have not already. It should explain things. I know vegans love to defend PUFA bc it is essential to a vegan diet but.....

Maybe @milkbasedvegan you should read all of Dr Peat's articles on PUFA very carefully if you have not already. It should explain things. I know vegans love to defend PUFA bc it is essential to a vegan diet but.....

don’t worry I’ve read it all. I’ve criticized what’s wrong with his ideas.

maybe you should read my posts another time though? And I’m not vegan. Quite the opposite. Sarcastic nickname

I never eat PUFA and my skil and hair is never dry. You got evidence for PUFA causing healthy skin?
Besides I dont get the point. If you eat like a normal person you’ll get linoleic acid. Milk, eggs, beef, butter have it. Vegetables have it.
Its everywhere. We dont need more than we already get. Animal breeding today also boosted n-6 fatty acids. What is your suggestion to get more? Eat the processed oils? No need our ancesters did not need it. If you wanna eat some nuts and seeds once in awhile go ahead and do it. You would still need to eat a lot of it if you gonna get close to the amount you get consuming pure oils. And on top the seeds and nuts are high in vitamin E. So yeah go ahead it nuts. No one is denying you the right. You don’t have to deny people not eating coz they dont like PUFA. Its not like you’re losing anything by avoiding nuts. Like i said linoleic and pufa is present in milk, eggs, butter, pork in several grams.

You say you don’t eat PUFA and then you say you do.

I’m not denying anyone anything, reading comprehension much? I’m saying there’s no evidence that eating plant PUFAs causes inflammation and disease in humans.

However arachidonic acid does increase tissue AA. You may wanna look up what omega 6s are exactly and try to understand the science behind them

D

danishispsychic

don’t worry I’ve read it all. I’ve criticized what’s wrong with his ideas.

maybe you should read my posts another time though? And I’m not vegan. Quite the opposite. Sarcastic nickname
Oh good - I don't read most peoples posts except for like the top 3 on here . PUFA catches up to most people IMO, it just takes time. Ray is always right - you'll get there.

Broken man

well this confirms my point. Non human studies say dietary PUFAs are bad, human interventions say they don’t matter.

the pilot study had the following diet which reversed early NAFLD...

please note how >50% carbs REVERSED fatty liver. That’s useful if you know some keto zealots. Not sure what kind of sugar they’re talking about
Sorry but can I ask you why I can't write you message?

GelatinGoblin

That’s all, now that this sacred information has been exposed, all Peters for the prevention of AIDS should start taking sunflower oil again, and those who are already sick should start to be treated with its increased quantities. Stop, but how could it happen that most, if not all, who have become ill with AIDS have consumed PUFAs all their lives?:dohExactly, they just ate too little PUFA.:thumbup:

Hahahaha!

postman

Looks like they forgot to test what effect the endogenous PUFA mead acid has.

lvysaur

Interesting thread. I think that some of the complaints regarding low PUFA symptoms (dry hair/skin seems to be a very common one) could be due to lower genetic desaturase activity.

IE: some people just naturally metabolize PUFAs more completely. These people would need less PUFAs for whatever positive effect they have, and would more easily overdose on PUFAs negative effects.

It would follow that slower metabolizers would come from cooler climates, and faster metabolizers from hotter ones, and that's exactly what the genetic data shows.

GelatinGoblin

"4-Hydroxy-2-nonenal (4-HNE), a reactive aldehyde, is generated from polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs) in biological membranes. Reactive oxygen species (ROS) generated during oxidative stress react with PUFAs to form aldehydes like 4-HNE, which inactivates proteins and DNA by forming hybrid covalent chemical addition compounds called adducts. The ensuing chain reaction results in cellular dysfunction and tissue damage. It includes a wide spectrum of events ranging from electron transport chain dysfunction to apoptosis. In addition, 4-HNE directly depresses contractile function, enhances ROS formation, modulates cell signaling pathways, and can contribute to many cardiovascular diseases, including atherosclerosis, myocardial ischemia-reperfusion injury, heart failure, and cardiomyopathy. Therefore, targeting 4-HNE could help reverse these pathologies."

2-Nonenal is found in Buckwheat :(
This is a bit of a nonsensical question but could the same substance metabolise into (4-HNE)?