Vitamin A Toxicity Neutralized By Vitamin C

Waynish

could one experience vitamin A toxicity symptoms (red dry flaky skin) by not having sufficient C, D, B1, Riboflavin, K2, E to neutralize vitamin A?

Sounds too theoretical and not enough empiricism... Which is going to be the problem with this level of reductionism, I think.

LOL

from this thread: "The Fallacy Of Administering Mixtures Of Crystalline Vitamins Alone In Nutritional Deficiency"

"The preservation of normal powers of dark adaptation is another function in which, according to some workers, more than one vitamin is concerned. Kimble and Gordon (21) found that most individuals in their experiments who had poor dark adaptation and a low level of vitamin A in the blood could be brought into the normal ranges for both these criteria by dosing with vitamin A, Other individuals, however, failed to show the usual response. This led to the belief that other factors must be involved in the utilization of vitamin A for the synthesis of visual purple, and both riboflavin and ascorbic acid were tried as supplements to the action of vitamin A."

"Several otherwise normal subjects with poor dark adaptation and low blood vitamin A were given 200,000 I.U. of vitamin A daily as halibut liver oil, but failed to respond. It is perhaps rather difficult in the absence of fever or liver disease to understand why the blood vitamin A remained low when such massive doses of halibut liver oil were given, unless the normal post-absorptive rise was intentionally avoided by taking blood samples shortly before administering the daily dose. According to Kimble and Gordon, however, normal values for blood vitamin A and normal dark adaptation were usually restored at once in these cases by giving 1 mg. of pure riboflavin daily in addition to vitamin A. In other subjects who did not benefit from this treatment, satisfactory improvement was obtained by giving ascorbic acid."

"Pure ascorbic acid, in daily doses of 150 mg., produced as great an improvement in dark adaptation as did daily doses of 24,000 I.U. of vitamin A. Examination of dietary histories appeared to indicate that good adaptation was invariably shown by subjects with good intake of vitamin A and ascorbic acid, and poor adaptation by those with low intakes, although there was a large intermediate group impossible to interpret."

GorillaHead

from this thread: "The Fallacy Of Administering Mixtures Of Crystalline Vitamins Alone In Nutritional Deficiency"

"The preservation of normal powers of dark adaptation is another function in which, according to some workers, more than one vitamin is concerned. Kimble and Gordon (21) found that most individuals in their experiments who had poor dark adaptation and a low level of vitamin A in the blood could be brought into the normal ranges for both these criteria by dosing with vitamin A, Other individuals, however, failed to show the usual response. This led to the belief that other factors must be involved in the utilization of vitamin A for the synthesis of visual purple, and both riboflavin and ascorbic acid were tried as supplements to the action of vitamin A."

"Several otherwise normal subjects with poor dark adaptation and low blood vitamin A were given 200,000 I.U. of vitamin A daily as halibut liver oil, but failed to respond. It is perhaps rather difficult in the absence of fever or liver disease to understand why the blood vitamin A remained low when such massive doses of halibut liver oil were given, unless the normal post-absorptive rise was intentionally avoided by taking blood samples shortly before administering the daily dose. According to Kimble and Gordon, however, normal values for blood vitamin A and normal dark adaptation were usually restored at once in these cases by giving 1 mg. of pure riboflavin daily in addition to vitamin A. In other subjects who did not benefit from this treatment, satisfactory improvement was obtained by giving ascorbic acid."

"Pure ascorbic acid, in daily doses of 150 mg., produced as great an improvement in dark adaptation as did daily doses of 24,000 I.U. of vitamin A. Examination of dietary histories appeared to indicate that good adaptation was invariably shown by subjects with good intake of vitamin A and ascorbic acid, and poor adaptation by those with low intakes, although there was a large intermediate group impossible to interpret."
So they work together?

GorillaHead

Guys. I have a proposed theory. Who agreed with me on this. Retinol depletes ascrobic acid levels. What yall think?