Safety Of "Heavy Metal Removing Detergents"

Acarpous

Does any one have any experience with detergents that claim to remove heavy metals like lead, silver, and mercury (among others)? Part of me is worried that I would be better off not doing anything,, in the sense product may oxidize or reduce the heavy metal of interest into a more toxic/chemically active form.

Any ideas or previous experiences?

Whichway?

Does any one have any experience with detergents that claim to remove heavy metals like lead, silver, and mercury (among others)? Part of me is worried that I would be better off not doing anything,, in the sense product may oxidize or reduce the heavy metal of interest into a more toxic/chemically active form.

Any ideas or previous experiences?

Do you have links or information on the product involved? Normally the best metal chelators bond to the heavy metal via chemical bonds which are stable enough to hold onto it while it is excreted out of the body. There are several compounds which can pick metals up in the body but then dump them randomly around before they get to be excreted. You definitely don’t want to do this, so be careful before trying anything on yourself without researching it thoroughly.

OP
A

Acarpous

Do you have links or information on the product involved? Normally the best metal chelators bond to the heavy metal via chemical bonds which are stable enough to hold onto it while it is excreted out of the body. There are several compounds which can pick metals up in the body but then dump them randomly around before they get to be excreted. You definitely don’t want to do this, so be careful before trying anything on yourself without researching it thoroughly.

D-Lead® Respirator & Laundry Detergent - ESCA Tech Inc.

http://portal.pandagrp.com/common/pdfs/3235ES.pdf

Last edited:
OP
A

Acarpous

What metals are you looking to chelate?

Mercury from both broken CFLs and the general public. Both of from my work environment.

OP
A

Acarpous

Both DMSA and DMPS are both internal medication . The product I am interested in is a detergent for clothing, not a medication.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals