Fasting Insulin Levels - Comment Your Result

yerrag

Interesting. I've never needed to test my insulin levels, so I'm curious to see your friend's fbs. Could you ask? Would be nice to see his 5hr OGTT as well. As well as HbA1c.

yerrag

OP
Lokzo

Lokzo

Forum Supporter
I guess that means he has high fbs then.

His glucose tolerance test was this:

SO CONFUSING:

Screen Shot 2020-08-21 at 1.42.01 pm.png

yerrag

This is what a 5 hr OGTT should be like like, following a naturopathic doctor I consulted with: The values should be between the high ideal curve and the low ideal curve as shown:
upload_2020-8-21_12-30-51.png

Don't know why the blood glucose level dropped so quickly. Odd also that his insulin levels are low.

Markus

He is probably extremely insulin sensitive and doesn't need a huge spike of insulin to clear glucose efficiently. I am the same. My fasting insulin is <2 and my blood sugar sometimes drops below fasting levels after eating 75-100 grams of carbs in one meal.

yerrag

He is probably extremely insulin sensitive and doesn't need a huge spike of insulin to clear glucose efficiently. I am the same. My fasting insulin is <2 and my blood sugar sometimes drops below fasting levels after eating 75-100 grams of carbs in one meal.

A 5hr OGTT would describe very well when your blood sugar rose and to what extent, and how long it stayed up before it starts to drop, and how quickly it dropped, and to what extent it dropped, and if it would recover, and how high it would recover. Then you could get a better idea by the curve what is going on. And the more we understand glucose metabolism and how blood sugar is controlled, the better we're able to guess correctly what went wrong.

A 5hr OGTT is much much more useful than a 2hr OGTT. Here is a 5 hr OGTT I had in 2000, before I began my recovery from poor sugar regulation:

upload_2020-8-21_13-38-46.png

I've never gotten any insulin tests, and I was just working on blood sugar alone. It may help, but again it may be a distraction. But lucky for me, I got my blood sugar regulation fixed. It's night and day when it came to my health. This is a lot better tool than HbA1c.

Even with the above OGTT data (not drawn out as a curve), my primary doctor told me I was fine. But this is how our doctors are. They give us a false negative when it comes to our blood sugar health. It's worse when they use HbA1c as the basis, and they set low targets with it as well. So many people would think their blood sugar regulation is optimal, when it's really poor. This affects greatly their energy levels and their health as well. It's just like when our doctors tell us we're euthyroid when we're actually hypothyroid. They both throw us off our game. Instead of us focusing on improving blood sugar regulation (and our thyroid status), we are diverted to playing with supplementation of substances targetted at the lower level of functionality in our metabolic system.

I can't offer any guess with a 2hr OGTT. And I still need to get some qualitative data from the patient - how he feels, does he feel low energy, does he sleep well etc - to get a better clue.

Recoen

My insulin is low too and I experience the same thing especially with no starch. Do you clear fructose quickly too? Do you experience frequent reactive and fasting hypoglycemia? If so, have you found something that keeps your BG stable?

Markus

My insulin is low too and I experience the same thing especially with no starch. Do you clear fructose quickly too? Do you experience frequent reactive and fasting hypoglycemia? If so, have you found something that keeps your BG stable?
Yeah, I sometimes experience fasting and reactive hypoglycemia. What I find helpful is to balance glucose and fructose in a 4:1 ratio with some fiber and added fat while keeping carbs and protein >2:1.

yerrag

Yeah, I sometimes experience fasting and reactive hypoglycemia. What I find helpful is to balance glucose and fructose in a 4:1 ratio with some fiber and added fat while keeping carbs and protein >2:1.
So you're managing it well. The fiber slows down the assimilation rate of sugar into blood. I found having a fatty steak to make me feel good then, when I had reactive hypoglycemia. I was having brown rice instead of white rice. I switched back to white rice when I fixed my reactive hypoglycemia.

Recoen

Thank you!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals