Ultimate Fast Food, Junk Food, On-the-go Food, Restaurant Thread For Ray Peat-inspired Meals

jzeno

I propose we compile a list of our favorite foods to eat on the go--whether prepared at home for later or food on the go from a convenience store, grocery store, fast food joint, or restaurant--to get the juices flowin' so when we get into those situations where we can't eat ideally, we still make a good compromise.

I say we give a suggestion and then give it a rating, 1-10 (10 being best), based on whatever logical conclusions we can reasonably conclude from what we know about the food (for example, how it's prepared or how long it's expected to sit out). It's not a perfect system but, hey, it's better than nothing.

I'll start:

Fast Food
  • In N Out, Double Double (8 or 9)
    • Unfrozen meat, sourdough bread, some veggies
    • Skip the fries: They're now cooked in sunflower seed oil (yuck)
Grocery Store
  • Gummy bears (4 or 5)
    • Gelatin and sugar, but probably with a bunch of other stuff you don't particularly need
  • Jello (5 or 6)
    • Gelatin and sugar, but maybe some other things that are not good for you
  • Homemade Jello (8 or 9)
    • Juice and Gelatin--pretty good if not great
Convenience Store
  • Bugles (6 or 7)
    • Coconut oil and sugar but some other weird stuff
  • Milk (6 or 7)
    • Good probably just beat up
  • Cheese (4 or 5)
    • Probably just some stuff to preserve it extra long
  • OJ (4 or 5)
    • Should be good; might not be able to find stuff not from concentrate
Breakfast Restaurant
  • Eggs, Milk, OJ, Coffee, Bacon/Small Steak, Sourdough (8 or 9, Maybe 10)
    • Reasonably fresh and simple for the stomach (not a lot of added fillers, preservatives)
Dinner Restaurant
  • Steak/White fish/Seafood, some Vegetables, Coffee, Milk, Desert with Gelatin and/or Sugar (8 or 9)
    • Reasonably fresh and simple for the stomach (not a lot of added fillers, preservatives)
What do you guys think? Let's hear it!

Nice job.

What I keep in mind is this...

Burgers or steak are not bad. They are my go-to when I eat out. Or fish or lamb.

Eggs are okay.

I don't order potatoes except baked or mashed.

Pizza is often okay.

Quesadillas are okay.

Mexican: eat the salsa with a spoon. Avoid chips obviously and anything with a hard shell.

Japanese: lots of choices, just avoid tempura.

Chinese: nix on this

Thai: nix on this

Indian: nix on this

The above are just too loaded with vegetable oil. The only time I eat out at an Indian restaurant is if they are using all ghee, which sometimes can be pre-arranged at a really good place.

Korean: okay, there are dishes that use little vegetable oil. The galbhi is my go-to. And the little dishes are often okay.

Italian: quite good options here, pizza or pasta if you eat pasta, or sometimes they have lamb or veal.

McDonalds et al are reasonably okay if you eat just the burger with no sauce, and a Coke. Yes the buns have PUFAs but not that much.

tankasnowgod

Fast Food
  • In N Out, Double Double (8 or 9)
    • Unfrozen meat, sourdough bread, some veggies
Do you have a source for that? I don't think In N Out uses Sourdough. The biggest problem with their bread, like most others in the US, is the fact that it's fortified with iron.

However, you can avoid the bread by either ordering it Protein Style (same, just no bun), or you can order the Flying Dutchman (two beef patties, two slices of cheese, nothing else, though I have also ordered it with grilled onions). The Flying Dutchman is cheaper than a double double, too.

OP
jzeno

jzeno

Do you have a source for that? I don't think In N Out uses Sourdough. The biggest problem with their bread, like most others in the US, is the fact that it's fortified with iron.

All I have is this quote from their marketing: Our buns are baked using old-fashioned, slow-rising sponge dough.

I take that to mean not raised with yeast, but a starter. I could be wrong, but that is my impression.

Not sure about the fortified with iron bit.

Yes, if you have concerns, you can always order without the bun. Good tip for those who are concerned.

milk_lover

Very nice thread, thanks man.

I love Italian restaurants. I eat their thin crust pizzas, white sauce and even mixed sauce pasta, seafood soup, seafood risotto/spaghetti, cheese plates, and panna cotta. Sometimes you can ask them to reduce olive oil or replace it with butter (make sure the butter is not margarine or butter 'mixed with vegetable oil').

I love Arabic/Persian/Greek restaurants. I eat shawarma, tikka, and kabab sandwiches/dishes with no worry because their lamb is juicy enough to offset any pufa they might use. I try to reduce hummus because if I start, I never stop. That thing is seriously addicting especially with freshly oven bread.

I go to high quality burger shops. They use quality beef and little PUFA.

Now my go to food is Mandi. Google it. It's a Yemeni style dish. Whole goat cooked underground oven and rice cooked with the lamb broth. It's absolutely delicious. It helps that they slaughter their goats everyday. So fresh.
Screen Shot 2019-01-04 at 3.59.31 AM.png

Regina

Very nice thread, thanks man.

I love Italian restaurants. I eat their thin crust pizzas, white sauce and even mixed sauce pasta, seafood soup, seafood risotto/spaghetti, cheese plates, and panna cotta. Sometimes you can ask them to reduce olive oil or replace it with butter (make sure the butter is not margarine or butter 'mixed with vegetable oil').

I love Arabic/Persian/Greek restaurants. I eat shawarma, tikka, and kabab sandwiches/dishes with no worry because their lamb is juicy enough to offset any pufa they might use. I try to reduce hummus because if I start, I never stop. That thing is seriously addicting especially with freshly oven bread.

I go to high quality burger shops. They use quality beef and little PUFA.

Now my go to food is Mandi. Google it. It's a Yemeni style dish. Whole goat cooked underground oven and rice cooked with the lamb broth. It's absolutely delicious. It helps that they slaughter their goats everyday. So fresh.
View attachment 11747
:woot::hungry:

Malris

Chinese can be ok, just ask for your order "diet style" - steamed veggies and meat, sauce on the side. Some of the veggies are better than others, cooked bamboo shoots are good. Can get beef or shrimp. Don't touch the sauce. If you go for starch, plain white rice isn't too bad.

Thai curries can be ok. They shouldn't have any need for added fat with the coconut milk. Veggies, meat, rice, spice...not too bad.

Indian curries are a little harder. Tikka masala can be good, it shouldn't have anything negative other than yogurt. But it's usually made with chicken. Lamb rogan josh should be made with sour cream and not oil. But your mileage may vary. Add some naan and rice and not too bad.

In the end, I think ordering the best food that you can is the best you can do. It's important to enjoy the food and the friends as much as possible, it's probably helpful. And then take some vitamin E as soon as you can to saturate any stray PUFA that you get.

abruzzi

YES! As a rookie to all of this I've been looking for something like this. I often have to eat on the go and it'd be nice to know what fast food joint are better than others

I don't trust The Impossible Burger, LOL

Gone Peating

I think Wendy’s should be ok.

They might put some oil on the grill but it shouldn’t be too much. Also there is plenty of saturated fat in a double burger with cheese. Just skip the fries and it should be fairly low in pufa, especially compared to most fast food options

theLaw

Pufa (grams) in Fast food fries: (large):

Hardees 4
Jack in the Box 5
Burger King 6
McDonalds 11
Wendy's 13
Sonic 14
Arby's 19

abruzzi

I think Wendy’s should be ok.

They might put some oil on the grill but it shouldn’t be too much. Also there is plenty of saturated fat in a double burger with cheese. Just skip the fries and it should be fairly low in pufa, especially compared to most fast food options

Would you have a burger with a baked potato? I don't know if they sell OJ at Wendy's. I'll need to check.

Oh, maybe skip the bun?

LucyL

Would you have a burger with a baked potato? I don't know if they sell OJ at Wendy's. I'll need to check.

Oh, maybe skip the bun?
I like Wendy's for the baked potato :): I get it with a burger w/cheese. Usually hold the sauces except mustard. Then I ditch the bun. Sometimes I'll get extra cheese on the burger.

McDonalds claims it's Quarter Pounders are 100% beef, and Burger King has similar claim for it's (beef) burgers. I choose to trust them on that :): Hold the ketchup, extra cheese and ditch the bun.

No fries. Sometimes I"ll get a side salad (I carry my own olive oil and vinegar packs), or apple slices and ask for honey. McDonalds and Chick Fil-A have pure honey.

theLaw

What does Hardees fry their fries in?

From their site: FRIED IN: Vegetable Oil (Soybean Oil, Hydrogenated Soybean Oil with TBHQ and Citric Acid to protect flavor, Dimethylpolysiloxane (as an antifoaming agent))

Ingredients

Not sure what makes the difference between the different fries.

tankasnowgod

From their site: FRIED IN: Vegetable Oil (Soybean Oil, Hydrogenated Soybean Oil with TBHQ and Citric Acid to protect flavor, Dimethylpolysiloxane (as an antifoaming agent))

Ingredients

Not sure what makes the difference between the different fries.

Probably the level of hydrogenation.

davvid_1

I often say I’m allergic to vegetable oil and if they can make mine with butter (often eggs), I’ll pay for the extra butter

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals