So. Do You Guys Just Never Eat Out?

Jessie

I mean, it's pretty much impossible to eat optimally when at restaurants. However you can avoid the worst of the worst with a little initiative.

For example, always pass on the french fries. No exceptions here, french fries are starch deep fried in seed oil, probably the worst metabolically damaging food on the market.
\
Using McDonalds as a sample menu, I typically get the yogurt parfait minus the nuts. Or I'll get the egg white delight minus the canadian "bacon." Coke or water for a drink, usually coke.

Never stress the issue to be optimal, that won't happen. Just avoid PUFA bombs and overly processed stuff.

Traditional restaurants (i.e not fast food) will normally serve stuff like grilled steaks and/or salads. Grilled steaks aren't cooked in oil, and salads minus the dressing are pretty devoid of PUFA. Baked potatoes with butter and/or sour cream is relatively harmless if starch isn't an issue for you.

tara

Having a good social life is just as important as your diet for health. If not more important. I wouldn't recommend sacrificing dinners out with your family or friends just because you follow a specific diet.
+1
Most of the time for most people. You might be able to make choices that suit better even if not perfect.
For example, always pass on the french fries. No exceptions here, french fries are starch deep fried in seed oil, probably the worst metabolically damaging food on the market.
I've hunted out places that fry in tallow.

Jessie

I've hunted out places that fry in tallow.

That would be a good alternative. I'm surprised some restaurants still use tallow, I figured the cheap availability of canola oil would pretty much incentivize them all to make the switch to seed oil.

Luann

I'm so interested in the variety of answers and creative solutions here.

You could cook for your friends and call it a day!

Some of you guys take one for the team and eat what your friends / colleages eat.

Some of you are stricter.

It truly is about what works for the individual, I try to stay low-PUFA when eating out because the way I feel after a greasy meal just isn't worth it TO ME.

So many different solutions though!

yerrag

I am an extremist. For four years stay away from PUFAs, even if you take Vitamin E. You're trying to remove the PUFA stores already in your system so that you can eventually have no more fats in your system that when lipolyzed will continually put PUFA fatty acids into your blood. These fatty acids interfere with sugar absorption, and interfere with the proper absorption and metabolism of blood sugar. Get this problem out of the way, and you will at the very least see improved blood sugar regulation, and at best solve problems both with hypoglycemia and hyperglycemia, which will affect the regular production of T3 by the liver.

I did this cold turkey method and it isn't hard if you cook your own food, as you are certain you're not using PUFA cooking oils and you're not using PUFA-filled ingredients.

I am pretty sure no one here except me has done the cold turkey approach but I swear by it. I couldn't eat a tsp of sugar, or white rice, or white bread without feeling hypoglycemic (evidenced by hunger, sleepiness, or runny nose) before. Now I can take these and I won't feel those things.

Four years of cold turkey is a tough hurdle for most people. There is the fear that 4 years of suffering would redound to nothing. There's even a thread here that shows you how you can achieve zero-PUFA by other means that don't require the long wait. I would have taken a look at that, but I already did my 4yr PUFA fast before I heard of Ray Peat.

Still, Ray Peat has talked about this cold turkey method, but it is a matter of choice, whether to follow this hard route or the alternate route with using supplements to get the same effect. I've tried the former route, and it worked for me. I haven't heard of anyone using the latter route and seeing them say it was a success the way it was a success for me.

Recoen

I am an extremist. For four years stay away from PUFAs, even if you take Vitamin E. You're trying to remove the PUFA stores already in your system so that you can eventually have no more fats in your system that when lipolyzed will continually put PUFA fatty acids into your blood. These fatty acids interfere with sugar absorption, and interfere with the proper absorption and metabolism of blood sugar. Get this problem out of the way, and you will at the very least see improved blood sugar regulation, and at best solve problems both with hypoglycemia and hyperglycemia, which will affect the regular production of T3 by the liver.

I did this cold turkey method and it isn't hard if you cook your own food, as you are certain you're not using PUFA cooking oils and you're not using PUFA-filled ingredients.

I am pretty sure no one here except me has done the cold turkey approach but I swear by it. I couldn't eat a tsp of sugar, or white rice, or white bread without feeling hypoglycemic (evidenced by hunger, sleepiness, or runny nose) before. Now I can take these and I won't feel those things.

Four years of cold turkey is a tough hurdle for most people. There is the fear that 4 years of suffering would redound to nothing. There's even a thread here that shows you how you can achieve zero-PUFA by other means that don't require the long wait. I would have taken a look at that, but I already did my 4yr PUFA fast before I heard of Ray Peat.

Still, Ray Peat has talked about this cold turkey method, but it is a matter of choice, whether to follow this hard route or the alternate route with using supplements to get the same effect. I've tried the former route, and it worked for me. I haven't heard of anyone using the latter route and seeing them say it was a success the way it was a success for me.
When you have a chance, will you please link the PUFA thread you’re referencing? A forum search gives a ton of threads on the subject.

yerrag

When you have a chance, will you please link the PUFA thread you’re referencing? A forum search gives a ton of threads on the subject.
I haven't found the PUFA thread, but here's a thread asking if anyone's done the 4 year PUFA depletion, and it seems from his answer haidut's done that. I didn't go through the whole thread, but maybe there would be mention in one of the posts that there is a shortcut to it:

4 years of Pufa Detox

GreekDemiGod

I always wondered, if you order a burger with fries. You would leave out the fries, of course, they're deep fried in vegetable oil.
What about the burger, though? Is the meat inside it cooked in oil or not?
Also, if it contains some sauce / mayonese, that is likely high PUFA too.

yerrag

I always wondered, if you order a burger with fries. You would leave out the fries, of course, they're deep fried in vegetable oil.
What about the burger, though? Is the meat inside it cooked in oil or not?
Also, if it contains some sauce / mayonese, that is likely high PUFA too.
It sure is. A lot of PUFA used. Cooking oil. Oil used in Mayo. Oil used in deep frying.

rei

Just make the right decisions of what/where you eat. For instance, a triple cheeseburger at mcdonalds is fried in the beef's own fat, added some cheese, cucumber, onion and ketchup and put between white bread. No part of that is unhealthy, or pufa-containing. It is mostly pure beef and should be healthy unless mcd has a really shitty source.

schultz

canadian "bacon."

When I was a youngster I ordered "Canadian bacon" at a breakfast restaurant in the States and they gave me ham. I told the lady it wasn't Canadian bacon and she argued with me about it. I told her I was Canadian and I think I would know. Anyway it was ham and not peameal bacon. The latter tastes significantly better. Haven't had it in a long time though.

inurendotoxin

Having a good social life is just as important as your diet for health. If not more important. I wouldn't recommend sacrificing dinners out with your family or friends just because you follow a specific diet. It's never good to take things to extremes anyway. I wouldn't make it a habit but I would just eat out, take the vitamin E and not worry about it.

+1 to this. For me, the most important indicator of good metabolism is surely how you feel. Good company and a healthy social life are critical to this (in my opinion). I would also cite the youthful metabolism as a reference point here... who here was giving a hoot about their PUFA consumption when you were say, 18 years old? Likely you were eating pizza and McDonalds 3 times a week and still struggling to gain weight. The more I get into my own journey of 'Peating', the more I believe environment (I'm including relationships and social life here) and stimulating lifestyle are atop the hierarchy of needs.

People seem quick to reduce Peat's work to a set of 'Eat this, not that' type rules. I might even suggest the point at which that becomes obsessive, is a good time to consider the bigger picture.

yerrag

Just make the right decisions of what/where you eat. For instance, a triple cheeseburger at mcdonalds is fried in the beef's own fat, added some cheese, cucumber, onion and ketchup and put between white bread. No part of that is unhealthy, or pufa-containing. It is mostly pure beef and should be healthy unless mcd has a really shitty source.

Haven't worked in McDo so don't exactly know if they the burgers are fried in their own fat or there's pufa oil being used in the griddle, and the mayo for sure is PUFA. McDo's making the burger, not the customer and there's no PUFA-Free option. So, if someone's trying to stay away from PUFA for 4 years, it's not helping wishing McDo's PUFA-free.

Better make sure. If the patty is fried in its own fat, fine. If you can remove the mayo, fine. If you stay away from the fries, fine. It's good to enjoy the burger and be happy you're PUFA-free.

Runenight201

I find it odd that a Peatarian would drink beer.
Might as well have a vodka or whisky or gin tonic.

Easily digestible carbs + alcohol :) it’s very relaxing and I feel warmth enter my body. I can’t really go past 1 beer, it begins to be too much after that. I’ve been meaning to try some killer cocktails tho. I’ll have to hang out at a bar this weekend and see what the bartender can make!

David90

I surely eat out sometimes if i wanted to. But i make sure i have my Vitamin E nearby, so i negate the Bad Effects from Eating Out (usage of PUFA-Oils in the Restaurants, is surely one).

I also even Drink sometimes (last time was June). But Only Clear Gin, Vodka or Whiskey. Or Red Wine. I don't like Beer (and that does come from a German who lives in the Beer-Stronghold Bavaria.... :sweatsmile:).

rei

Haven't worked in McDo so don't exactly know if they the burgers are fried in their own fat or there's pufa oil being used in the griddle, and the mayo for sure is PUFA. McDo's making the burger, not the customer and there's no PUFA-Free option. So, if someone's trying to stay away from PUFA for 4 years, it's not helping wishing McDo's PUFA-free.

Better make sure. If the patty is fried in its own fat, fine. If you can remove the mayo, fine. If you stay away from the fries, fine. It's good to enjoy the burger and be happy you're PUFA-free.
At least over here i have specifically watched them make the pattys, they just flick them on the grill, and scrape away the leftovers after completion. It is all beef fat from the patty. The cheeseburgers (and burger) don't have any mayo. And especially the triple cheese burger has excellent ratio of meat to the not so optimal ingredients.

Hirri

What about French restaurants? French cuisine uses only butter or animal fat, at least they are suppose to. Also Italian should use olive oil which is not that bad, right?