Ate Oysters For The First Time Last Night ! Whoa!

lyfe

I am 31 years old and after reading about the benefits of Oysters decided to hunt some down at the store. All of them had cottonseed oil in them other than a larger can of 8 ounce Bumble Bee Whole Osyters. I bought 4 cans of them for 2.12 a piece and immediately cracked one open when I got home. I felt amazing after eating the entire can. I know most people on here say that you should only have them 1-2 times a week - but is there any risk in have them 2 nights in a row or even 3 nights a week? I feel my body really got something out of them. Coming from 10 years as a vegetarian so I might be more deficient in copper/zinc/selenium than most?

tankasnowgod

I am 31 years old and after reading about the benefits of Oysters decided to hunt some down at the store. All of them had cottonseed oil in them other than a larger can of 8 ounce Bumble Bee Whole Osyters. I bought 4 cans of them for 2.12 a piece and immediately cracked one open when I got home. I felt amazing after eating the entire can. I know most people on here say that you should only have them 1-2 times a week - but is there any risk in have them 2 nights in a row or even 3 nights a week? I feel my body really got something out of them. Coming from 10 years as a vegetarian so I might be more deficient in copper/zinc/selenium than most?

Probably not much. When I've heard the issues that people have had with oysters, it's usually that they have been eating a couple dozen or so every day for weeks on end (and I think it's generally raw oysters to boot). Two nights in a row should be fine, especially if you haven't eaten them in a while, as should three nights a week. But don't force it. My guess is you would start to lose the taste for them if eating them too often.

There are even "Oyster Eating Challenges," so I don't know how dangerous consuming lots of oysters really are-

Acme Oyster House's 15 Dozen Oysters Challenge (French Quarter) - FoodChallenges.com

Jessie

Yeah it's probably fine. Copper, zinc, and selenium could be reigniting your thyroid along with the calcium from the milk suppressing the PTH. For some individuals, optimizing their nutrition is all they need to correct things. Particularly vegetarians, because all that protein, calcium, zinc copper, etc. can synergize and you'll start feeling really good.

I think vegan/vegertarian diets are probably less harsh on the liver than keto/lowcarb diets are. I've noticed people coming from the low carb (myself included) scene are usually much worse off, and additional stuff typically has to be done on top of nutrition. If cigarettes are forced to have warning labels on them, then low carb diets should have warning labels on them too, lol.

mrchibbs

There will be diminishing returns at some point, but many people experience the same things with these highly nutritious foods like liver and oysters initially. We're often so deficient that they really fill a need and it seems like we can't get enough initially.

Trust your cravings.

TheSir

There will be diminishing returns at some point, but many people experience the same things with these highly nutritious foods like liver and oysters initially. We're often so deficient that they really fill a need and it seems like we can't get enough initially.

Trust your cravings.
Agree. I was pounding down liver like no tomorrow last winter. Ate several kilograms in the span of a couple of weeks, the cravings just came out of nowhere and disappeared as magically.