The Importance Of Sleep

M

metabolizm

Having suffered from insomnia these past few weeks, for the first time in my life, I've begun to think of sleep as perhaps the most important aspect of health, as well as an important indictator of health: I think healthier people sleep better. Ray thinks so too. I've noticed various detrimental effects since failing consistently to achieve deep sleep -- confusion, anxiety, digestive issues, to name a few -- and these last few nights I've been subsisting on about three to four hours of shut-eye, at best, so it's pretty bad. Having loud neighbours does not help.

What are your observations about sleep? What works for you? Have any of you reached the promised land of eight uninterrupted hours, consistently? What does that feel like? Do you sleep alone? I'm hungry to hear about different experiences.

Me? I'd just about kill for one week of good, deep sleep. Or an induced coma. That would be fine too.

A small cup of warm milk with honey and aspirin and I'm good to go sleep wise, I prefer sleeping alone.

Do your utmost to get a routine for sleeping, your last comment was telling (I'd just about kill for one week of good, deep sleep)
The thing is with sleep deprivation you just might, no kidding!

Peatogenic

Ultimately, having high glycogen stores, which comes from getting enough carbs daily and over time. But I've also found another route in taking magnesium baths before I go to bed. It's worked for me a week in a row, waking up and feeling I got deep, restorative sleep. I used to only use a magnesium oil spray, but an Epsom bath seems preferable for me.

Yep, can definitely vouch for magnesium chloride salts added to a bath, very relaxing.

serling78

I'm also having issues with terrible quality of sleep and insomnia. I can vouch for magnesium definitely helping with sleep, but unfortunately after years of trying to find a way to make magnesium work I had to give it up due to the fact it completely destroys my libido. I tried all different forms, brands, dosing, etc over the course of years thinking I must be doing something wrong but had to finally accept it just kills my libido.

Having said that, are there any other effective natural sleep remedies /supplements that don't come with those same negative side effects? I'm also desperately in need of some good nights sleep.

Arnold Grape

OTC Doxylamine Succinate (Unisom) is akin to Cyproheptadine and can aid in sleep with proper nutrition; pregnenolone has helped me in the past, other things like limiting grains (e.g. even things like large portions of white rice will become disruptive to sleep for me personally). I agree with taking a small amount of aspirin (and potentially things like b1) when coupled with big meals before rest. The problem with things that charge the metabolism at bedtime is that you may also run out of fuel in the night.

I also have to admit, after all these years, that it is advantageous to not drink coffee after a certain time of day, which I would never have owned up to in the past.

Beastmode

Having suffered from insomnia these past few weeks, for the first time in my life, I've begun to think of sleep as perhaps the most important aspect of health, as well as an important indictator of health: I think healthier people sleep better. Ray thinks so too. I've noticed various detrimental effects since failing consistently to achieve deep sleep -- confusion, anxiety, digestive issues, to name a few -- and these last few nights I've been subsisting on about three to four hours of shut-eye, at best, so it's pretty bad. Having loud neighbours does not help.

What are your observations about sleep? What works for you? Have any of you reached the promised land of eight uninterrupted hours, consistently? What does that feel like? Do you sleep alone? I'm hungry to hear about different experiences.

Me? I'd just about kill for one week of good, deep sleep. Or an induced coma. That would be fine too.

You can supplement the hell out of things, but if this is a new thing for you, consider looking into what emotional factors are playing a role in your life. Whether it's job related, relationship, etc it's as important, if not more, than what you put in your body.

The first time I ever experienced insomnia was when I was 21 and my metabolic system was quite resilient then. Had an experience with a family member and the stress I was feeling from it kept me up all night. I would sleep form 7 am to 10 am and this went on for 2+ weeks.

Amazoniac

- The Sleep-Immune Crosstalk in Health and Disease
Abstract said:
Sleep and immunity are bidirectionally linked. Immune system activation alters sleep, and sleep in turn affects the innate and adaptive arm of our body’s defense system. Stimulation of the immune system by microbial challenges triggers an inflammatory response, which, depending on its magnitude and time course, can induce an increase in sleep duration and intensity, but also a disruption of sleep. Enhancement of sleep during an infection is assumed to feedback to the immune system to promote host defense. Indeed, sleep affects various immune parameters, is associated with a reduced infection risk, and can improve infection outcome and vaccination responses. The induction of a hormonal constellation that supports immune functions is one likely mechanism underlying the immune-supporting effects of sleep. In the absence of an infectious challenge, sleep appears to promote inflammatory homeostasis through effects on several inflammatory mediators, such as cytokines. This notion is supported by findings that prolonged sleep deficiency (e.g., short sleep duration, sleep disturbance) can lead to chronic, systemic low-grade inflammation and is associated with various diseases that have an inflammatory component, like diabetes, atherosclerosis, and neurodegeneration. Here, we review available data on this regulatory sleep-immune crosstalk, point out methodological challenges, and suggest questions open for future research.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals