Thyroid Hormone Resistance

kiran

It's kind of interesting that there are several people teaching people about and treating people with Ray Peat ideas. However is there a doctor who follows this ?

I'm thinking doctors might have an automatic negative reaction to out of context problems.

gretchen

I probably shouldn't assume this is what I have without lab tests. It's just so hard to decide what to do next.

J

j.

gretchen said:
I probably shouldn't assume this is what I have without lab tests. It's just so hard to decide what to do next.

are three 250 Watts incandescent bulbs lighting up your place right now?

gretchen

j. said:
gretchen said:

are three 250 Watts incandescent bulbs lighting up your place right now?

I think they are 75 watt. One is fluorescent....gotta replace. I use an LED light in the morning also.

narouz

I'm not sure this is the correct place for this,
so Charlie feel free to move or whatever...

But on this topic of Thyroid Resistance:
I was exploring the ideas of Kent Holtorf, MD.

Now hear me out. :lol:
I have kinduv dismissed him whenever I've run across him in my research
because he deals with bio-identical hormones
and because of some of his other views.

But I wanted to give him a closer look
since I've been trying the straight T3 protocol of the RT3 Yahoo group.
I think they are influenced a lot by his ideas.

There are a lot of things that aren't Peatian in his views.
On the other hand, there are a lot of things that do align with Peat's ideas about thyroid.

Holtorf's got a series of 3, hour-long YouTube videos on hypothyroidism.
I listened to the first one last night:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNujvdrt_4s[/media]

It is not the most wonderful production, technically.
But I got through it and I have to say
it gave me some insight and understanding about hypothyroidism
that I've never grasped elsewhere.
Particularly on the area of thyroid resistance,
and on why thyroid tests are so misleading.

He does seem to do his research.
He cites and quotes a lot of solid studies to support his views.
Being so influenced by Peat,
I feel like Holtorf misses much of the big picture
about life and energy and respiration and how the whole human body works.
But, even from a Peat perspective, there's a lot that is consonant.
Definitely worth wading through if you're interested in hypothyroidism and RT3 and thyroid resistance
and thyroid tests.

youngandold

Thyroid resistance CAN be spotted by tests.

Thyroid hormones are naturally high with no symptoms of hyperthyroidism (except perhaps tachycardia) yet TSH is normal or slightly elevated instead of supressed as would be expected from high thyroid levels.

SuperStressed

I took nearly 200mcg in T3 today spread out over 3 doses, getting larger with each dose. Temperature didn't budge. Im going to try 150mcg in one dose tomorrow.

mrchibbs

I took nearly 200mcg in T3 today spread out over 3 doses, getting larger with each dose. Temperature didn't budge. Im going to try 150mcg in one dose tomorrow.

shaking-my-head-gif-17.gif

redsun

Dude do you feel anything at all? Hair falling out at those doses? And where is it from? I know haidut's product works, I cant speak for others. Its senseless to take such a high dose, if you weren't resistant to T3 that kind of doses puts you in a hyperthyroid state and you lose your hair and waste away.

SuperStressed

Dude do you feel anything at all? Hair falling out at those doses? And where is it from? I know haidut's product works, I cant speak for others.
Cynomel. I feel nothing at all, very frustrating. My afternoon temp (ear) is always 96.8f / 36.0c .. I think the ideal ear temp is higher than oral too.

redsun

Cynomel. I feel nothing at all, very frustrating. My afternoon temp (ear) is always 96.8f / 36.0c .. I think the ideal ear temp is higher than oral too.

Okay. Maybe for whatever reason it may be the product or you may just be one of those people resistant to it. You should try haidut's product just to see if its a product issue I can say for sure I can feel the T3 from taking his.

If you still got nothing than your body is fighting it heavily for whatever reason, aka resistant to the T3. For many possible reasons some people appear to be.

SuperStressed

Okay. Maybe for whatever reason it may be the product or you may just be one of those people resistant to it. You should try haidut's product just to see if its a product issue I can say for sure I can feel the T3 from taking his.

If you still got nothing than your body is fighting it heavily for whatever reason, aka resistant to the T3. For many possible reasons some people appear to be.
I tried tyromix in the past, felt nothing from the t3 in that either. Just took a drop of tyronene but it won't do anything lol.

mrchibbs

Sorry. I just felt bewildered at what you're doing. I was speechless.

But everyone has free will.

My perception is that you're doing it very very wrong. I do hope you get better.

redsun

I tried tyromix in the past, felt nothing from the t3 in that either. Just took a drop of tyronene but it won't do anything lol.

Oh you already have tyronene. Well it takes maybe 10-15 minutes to get absorbed and start doing something if its on an empty stomach. If still nothing than congratz you are one of the people does not respond to T3. In some ways that is a good thing despite being a bit frustrating.

SuperStressed

Sorry. I just felt bewildered at what you're doing. I was speechless.

But everyone has free will.

My perception is that you're doing it very very wrong. I do hope you get better.
This is the thyroid resistance thread, the OP mentions Dr Lowe taking 150mcg himself and I know he had patients who needed bigger doses. I've tried smaller doses like Peat suggests, it didn't work for me personally.

mrchibbs

This is the thyroid resistance thread, the OP mentions Dr Lowe taking 150mcg himself and I know he had patients who needed bigger doses. I've tried smaller doses like Peat suggests, it didn't work for me personally.

It's physiological. I've exchanged comments with you before. Exogenous T3 in massive doses like you're doing is fools gold. You have stress in your life and elevated pituitary function which is reducing your tissues sensitivity to T3. No matter how much you take, it won't work.

You have to fix the stress, and start really low with thyroid. And you should read Broda Barnes's book, and Ray's articles on thyroid, and stuff on the Stop the Thyroid Madness website. Basically you need to chill, and really think about what you're doing. Take a step back, and maybe start a gradual program (like Broda Barnes mentioned) with an NDT product. NDT thyroid is more foolproof vs synthetic. IdeaLabs's TyroMix is unique because of its 2:1 ratio, a very good product. Be deliberate and meticulous. 100s of mcg of T3 is not the way. Above all, thyroid supplementation takes months to work, and even then, temperatures may not be "optimal". It's not a magic bullet.

You can obviously do what you want here, but I would advise you to go back and read a bit more. Moreover, large T3 doses like this can be positively dangerous and cause heart palpitations or worse

Last edited:

SuperStressed

It's physiological. I've exchanged comments with you before. Exogenous T3 in massive doses like you're doing is fools gold. You have stress in your life and elevated pituitary function which is reducing your tissues sensitivity to T3. No matter how much you take, it won't work.

You have to fix the stress, and start really low with thyroid. And you should read Broda Barnes's book, and Ray's articles on thyroid, and stuff on the Stop the Thyroid Madness website. Basically you need to chill, and really think about what you're doing. Take a step back, and maybe start a gradual program (like Broda Barnes mentioned) with an NDT product. NDT thyroid is more foolproof vs synthetic. IdeaLabs's TyroMix is unique because of its 2:1 ratio, a very good product. Be deliberate and meticulous. 100s of mcg of T3 is not the way. Above all, thyroid supplementation takes months to work, and even then, temperatures may not be "optimal". It's not a magic bullet.

You can obviously do what you want here, but I would advise you to go back and read a bit more. Moreover, large T3 doses like this can be positively dangerous and cause heart palpitations or worse

Perhaps you should stop bossing people around. You were successful in scaring me into stopping T3 and I regret it.

Here's Ray Peat talking about high doses of T3 for Thyroid Resistance. Feel free to be as bewildered and speechless as you like.

mrchibbs

Perhaps you should stop bossing people around. You were successful in scaring me into stopping T3 and I regret it.

Here's Ray Peat talking about high doses of T3 for Thyroid Resistance. Feel free to be as bewildered and speechless as you like.

Why are you so aggressive? Where did I ''boss you around''? Look at my previous comments, I only wished you well, and I apologized for using the meme. So after over a month, now you make this post to try and publicly shame me, is that it?

Do you want me to pull up sob stories of people who had heart issues with 100s of mcg of T3 like on Wilson's protocol? You are on a public forum, you post, expect people to share their opinion.

In the end, as I said before you can do what you want. If you think I am the kind of person that wants to be here and boss people around and tell people what to do, you have me very wrong. I share my opinion. That's all.

And by the way, I listened to the podcast when it came out. The lady Ray is referring to is using 15 grains of a *glandular* product. Not pure synthetic T3. They're metabolized completely differently. If you took the 15 grains equivalent of synthetic T3 (about 20 cynomel tablets) you very well could die. As in your heart would stop. But then again feel free to do what you want, you clearly don't want dissenting opinions.

All the best to you in your journey.

Last edited:

mrchibbs