Red Light And Eye Health

Spartan300

Thanks for the article @Hans, I'm interested as I have been being treated for glaucoma/high IOP for a number of years. I have to use drops morning & evening & I have had laser iridotomy (hole in iris) in each eye. Ideally I would rather not have to use the drops so anything that lowers pressures would be good.

I have been following diet & lifestyle tips here for some time but my hypo symptoms although slightly improved, remain. I'm particularly interested in the cortisol/serotonin aspect here because cypro helps me sleep but a reported side effect can be an increase of IOP. I'm now wondering whether the cortisol/serotonin lowering effect could cancel out this effect as long as I keep the doses low.

For the last 6 weeks I have been trying thyroid, initially NDT, now more T3 with some success. My regular hospital check was recently cancelled due to the lockdowns but I'm curious whether the thyroid will have improved IOP.

I have a 670nm red light which I tried shining into my closed eyes from a couple of feet probably about a year ago but found the experience uncomfortable and the impact on vision/colours after use when I opened my eyes put me off it.

Lorof

By saying this I do not encourage anyone to follow my example but I do shine a red light (The Half Stack Red Light) from a rather close distance (10-20 cm) to my face with eyes open for about 10 minutes each morning.
Have been doing so for about 6 month and did not notice any detriment to my eye sight.

kinetic

Even sunlight, infra-red and NIR light cause cataracts. F.i. in this interview, even one of the greatest proponents of RLT mentions this fact, so it’s better to wear protective goggles:

Timestamp 18:45

That doesn’t mean, one should avoid it at all cost. But I think, that staring into IR and NIR devices is a bit over the top. I’m not denying that a certain ammount of RL has beneficial effects for the retina and wellbeing, but I personaly get the pleasant feeling from only the light rays, which fall onto my closed eyes through sunglasses, when my face gets periferally (not really directly) irradiated during my RLT sessions. Such an ammount of light much more resembles the natural situations.

K

SOMO

meatbag

The only thing I've noticed affect my eyesight is liver. Feel like it gives me night vision :blackalien:

Mito

upload_2020-4-20_9-53-41.jpeg

“The primary theory explaining the effects of red and near infrared light therapy, anywhere in the body, involves the interactions between light and the mitochondria. The core function of mitochondria is to produce energy for its cell – light therapy improves its ability to make energy.”
Red light restores vision and eye health - Red Light Man

Mito

Declining eyesight improved by looking at deep red light
Staring at a deep red light for three minutes a day can significantly improve declining eyesight, finds a new UCL-led study, the first of its kind in humans.”

“All participants were then given a small LED torch to take home and were asked to look into its deep red 670nm light beam for three minutes a day for two weeks. They were then re-tested for their rod and cone sensitivity.”

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/06/200629120241.htm

SQu

Thanks for the article @Hans, I'm interested as I have been being treated for glaucoma/high IOP for a number of years. I have to use drops morning & evening & I have had laser iridotomy (hole in iris) in each eye. Ideally I would rather not have to use the drops so anything that lowers pressures would be good.

I have been following diet & lifestyle tips here for some time but my hypo symptoms although slightly improved, remain. I'm particularly interested in the cortisol/serotonin aspect here because cypro helps me sleep but a reported side effect can be an increase of IOP. I'm now wondering whether the cortisol/serotonin lowering effect could cancel out this effect as long as I keep the doses low.

For the last 6 weeks I have been trying thyroid, initially NDT, now more T3 with some success. My regular hospital check was recently cancelled due to the lockdowns but I'm curious whether the thyroid will have improved IOP.

I have a 670nm red light which I tried shining into my closed eyes from a couple of feet probably about a year ago but found the experience uncomfortable and the impact on vision/colours after use when I opened my eyes put me off it.
Did Defibron help your IOP and glaucoma?
How about methyl palmitate?
I'm interested for my husband. I am not sure about the red light though.

Spartan300

@SQu no discernable effect from Defibron.

I'm hoping that t3/T4 over the last 4 months may have helped. Next check is in a couple of weeks. I'll let you know

Red light felt wrong intuitively. Way too bright

SQu

I feel the same, having tried red light myself. Drying.
My husband got IOP down from mid to late 20s to a regular 12-15 with agmatine and also (unfortunately) those prostaglandin drops. I'm always looking for more things to help. He has a pterygium so I was considering Defibron, which haidut also suggested. Of course since lockdown he hasnt checked it at all this year, plus had a really bad time with anxiety and depression at the end of last year which I worry would not have done his eyes any good, nor the meds ...
I was thinking of trying just methyl palmitate since I am trying to source locally, will be more reliable than our post office, especially at the moment.
I like the thyroid idea, will be interested to hear. Clearly my husband is hypo but unmedicated for that at the moment.

Spartan300

My IOP remains low to mid 20s with prostaglandin, beta blocker & carbonic anhydrase inhibitor drops.

I feel like thyroid has helped my mood & daytime temps but waking temps are still low - 36.0 today.. Hoping my IOP has come down, I would like to get off some f the eye meds.

Iqa

What do you guys think about red-to-blue light ratio?

Getting red light is good in theory but there's so much blue light from LED lights, computer monitors, smartphones, etc. I'm thinking it's best to filter out blue light when possible so overall you're exposed to more red light and of course a red light device is great too!

I forget where I read this but green light is also not good for the eyes or at least the circadian rhythm (which ultimately is tied to the retina). I found these glasses that are effective for both blocking out blue and green lights using this fluxometer website (shows you which devices output the most blue light and which glasses are the best):

Welcome to f.luxometer™

Beam Laser Level Enhancement Glasses (more effective than Uvex Skyper/SCT)
DEWALT Beam Laser Level Enhancement Glasses-DW0714 - The Home Depot

I don't like the sales pitch for this guy's website but he uses a light measuring device.
DEWALT RED Glasses Review | BEST Value Green & Blue Blockers

Also, most android phones have color temperature settings to reduce the blue light. And Windows 10 has a Night Light setting that you can have on all the time.

What's been really helpful is replacing my computer monitor with an eye care version. Asus Eye Care or Acer Vision Care are two good options.

Last edited:

Spartan300

@SQu Quick update. My latest IOP check at the hospital showed a reduction of 4 mm Hg in each eye.

Over the last 4 months I have consistently been using low dose thyroid & stress levels have reduced. I suspect it's a combination of the two and also suspect that the two are correlated with each other.

SQu

@SQu Quick update. My latest IOP check at the hospital showed a reduction of 4 mm Hg in each eye.

Over the last 4 months I have consistently been using low dose thyroid & stress levels have reduced. I suspect it's a combination of the two and also suspect that the two are correlated with each other.
Wow! So happy to hear this! Well done, you must be delighted. We were told that even a 1mm drop was very, very significant.

I do also strongly suspect that stress is related to this problem. I only just read your last message about thyroid helping your mood, and I really do think that's a major thing. Agmatine is also relaxing and I think this is no coincidence. Since my last message I have been giving my husband some thyroid and I am seeing a difference. Still no measurements as no doc visit yet, this country is peaking re covid, and we are staying at home as much as we can.

I bet your IOP will carry on improving with this approach. I also like that it is fundamental. Thyroid is fundamental. Stress is fundamental. So I am also sure that you will see improvements in other areas too.

Spartan300

Thanks, I am really pleased. The docs don't recognise a correlation between stress & pressures but at least in my experience there is a direct correlation.

My agmatine arrived this week & I'm now including that too on a daily basis. I'm sure your husband will see similar improvements.

David PS

Abstract​

Mitochondrial decline in ageing robs cells of ATP. However, animal studies show that long wavelength exposure (650–900 nm) over weeks partially restores ATP and improves function. The likely mechanism is via long wavelengths reducing nanoscopic interfacial water viscosity around ATP rota pumps, improving their efficiency. Recently, repeated 670 nm exposures have been used on the aged human retina, which has high-energy demands and significant mitochondrial and functional decline, to improve vision. We show here that single 3 min 670 nm exposures, at much lower energies than previously used, are sufficient to significantly improve for 1 week cone mediated colour contrast thresholds (detection) in ageing populations (37–70 years) to levels associated with younger subjects. But light needs to be delivered at specific times. In environments with artificial lighting humans are rarely dark-adapted, hence cone function becomes critical. This intervention, demonstrated to improve aged mitochondrial function can be applied to enhance colour vision in old age.

Mauritio

Just three minutes of exposure to deep red light once a week, when delivered in the morning, can significantly improve declining eyesight, finds a pioneering new study.

Mauritio

"Furthermore, all the treated groups decreased COX-2 and increased VEGF immunoexpression..."

Mauritio